Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Private Jets - Cyber Monday sale - 5k for a full year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Private Jets - Cyber Monday sale - 5k for a full year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
It's normally $8,500 and you can fly as many empty legs as you want for free.
Originally Posted by TheHorta
With the OP offer, you can fly as many empty legs for free as you want or are able to fly -- all at no additional charge.
Originally Posted by tkey75
So basically worthless, which is why they give it away.
Paying $5000 for the opportunity to fly empty legs is not in my book free or being given away. More like buying a discount card and hoping to use it enough that it pays for itself.
TheHorta and HDQDD like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This could be fun for someone who has the time to do a lot of leisure travel and has lots of flexibility....or it could get tiring real fast if you're trying to use it enough to make the card worthwhile. One would need to live close to an airport that has lots of these flights. It would be more attractive if the purchase counted for some MQMs and MQDs.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
So once you book the empty leg you can fill the plane to capacity? If you lived in NYC (near several private airports) and could travel flexibly on short notice, might this be worth it? Do they every have empty legs to anywhere interesting or just positioning between Delta hubs domestically?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So once you book the empty leg you can fill the plane to capacity? If you lived in NYC (near several private airports) and could travel flexibly on short notice, might this be worth it? Do they every have empty legs to anywhere interesting or just positioning between Delta hubs domestically?
Most private jetports (Teterboro, White Plains, etc) are not major hubs, and you'll need to find a return trip back, as there is a slim-to-none chance you'll find another empty leg back. All empty legs are repositioning, or returning home (which is essentially repositioning). They're >90% CONUS, with <10% North America. I've seen some go from Barbados or the Bahamas to Miami, but that's pretty rare and likely not the direction you want to go in.

We took a Gadsden, AL to Lakefront, LA (New Orleans) empty leg flight for dinner on a Friday afternoon and took a cheap $100pp MSY>HSV return the next day. It was for our anniversary, we had reservations at Emeril's first / flagship restaurant, and we stayed in the FQ, which was a blast for the four of us. It was just an hour in the air, but a private jet flight -- even one so brief -- for an anniversary present is a memorable experience after 23 years of marriage.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:09 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
IMHO it’s more of a novelty than really useful. Unless you live near an airport that gets a lot of repositioned planes. Have only flown Delta PJ once , but used NetJets a lot during boarding school and the short runs were always in tiny planes and really not glamorous. Tbh I would prefer to fly Jfk to SFO in AA F than private unless you are flying alone or can snag the couch.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Is there a way to see what types of planes are available for DPJ? I assumed they would always be same as fleet - mostly E175s and CRJ but it sounds like they are smaller planes? Smaller Embraers maybe?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This sounds totally perfect for a retired person with some money who can afford to be spontaneous.

I assume it does not come with any medallion status like the card does?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I might have considered buying this just to try it, but instead today I bought NY Mets season tickets.
DenverBrian and HDQDD like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:57 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Is there a way to see what types of planes are available for DPJ? I assumed they would always be same as fleet - mostly E175s and CRJ but it sounds like they are smaller planes? Smaller Embraers maybe?
i wanna say my flight was on a challenger. Hope that helps
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:55 pm

Hi -

The biggest impediment to me is the 100K to get a card in the first place.

I would think once you have paid that, the extra 5K would be a no-brainer.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
I've seen mostly Citation XLS, X, Excel, Sovereign and CJ3 - some Lear 60s - mostly Light, Mid, Super Mid six to eight people.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Paying $5000 for the opportunity to fly empty legs is not in my book free or being given away. More like buying a discount card and hoping to use it enough that it pays for itself.
+1 if I wanted to gamble like that I'd marry an employee and try to nonrev everywhere
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

The biggest impediment to me is the 100K to get a card in the first place.

I would think once you have paid that, the extra 5K would be a no-brainer.
I don't think you need the card, I think this deal is stand alone--you just pay the $5K. As others have said, it's not an obvious value for most people. You don't know about travel until shortly before departure, and you can't have any confirmed return flight through the program, so it's really not of great value to most people.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think you need the card, I think this deal is stand alone--you just pay the $5K.
I called DPJ - Correct at 5k - stand alone. You get the entire plane. They won't give the deal until Monday.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I called DPJ - Correct at 5k - stand alone. You get the entire plane. They won't give the deal until Monday.
And now you have a pool of available people to fill the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.