Wiki Posts
Search

Questions regarding earning MQMs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Questions regarding earning MQMs

Hello Everyone - I'm new to this forum. I'm currently a Delta SkyMiles Gold Medallion member, and will need roughly additional 9k MQMs to reach the threshold to become a Platinum Medallion member for 2019. I'm flying from DTW to HNL (round trip) end of December 2018, and that is supposed to give me enough MQMs so I can reach the threshold. However, my returning flight will depart from HNL on December 31st 2018 and land at DTW on January 1st 2019 (I will layover and make a connection at LAX on January 1st 2019). My question is will I get full MQMs credit counted towards 2018 for the entire trip from HNL to DTW (HNL-LAX and LAX-DTW)? Or, the MQMs from LAX to DTW will be counted towards 2019 since it's actually departs on January 1st 2019? In this case, I will not have enough MQMs to become a Platinum Medallion member for 2019. P.S. Every segment of my flights is under the same reservation. Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
My hunch is that the MQMs won't count toward the current year since they won't post till after the year rolls over.
The good news is that everything should roll over toward next year's status.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
My experience is that they credit the MQMs based on departure time of the flight, even if it is in the new year, i.e. if any segment of your flight departs after midnight on 1-1-19, then you are off to the races for next year's status and it doesn't count for 2018 status. I took a ANC-SEA-DTW return flight departing 1:30 AM a couple years ago just to get a head start on the new year (had already hit DM status). Not the same situation as yours, I recognize that, but even a connecting departure after midnight will credit to 2019.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I'd wager that the Medallion line would be able to get you a definitive answer.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
MQM is done per flight. Any flight scheduled on Jan 1 will credit for 2019. Any flight scheduled till 2359 on Dec 31st for 2018 totals.
TheHorta, CPMaverick and wxman22 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
My experience is that they credit the MQMs based on departure time of the flight, even if it is in the new year, i.e. if any segment of your flight departs after midnight on 1-1-19, then you are off to the races for next year's status and it doesn't count for 2018 status.
This is mostly correct, however, credit *should* be given based on the *scheduled* departure time. If your flight is scheduled to depart at 11:55 PM on 12/31 but is delayed 10 minutes and actually departs 12:05 AM 1/1, you *should* get the credit this year, not next year.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would be helpful to know what flights OP is on. If DL1284/1106, he should be good as 1106 scheduled departure is 11:17PM. If on the DL1212 "direct" flight, he should also be okay even though the LAX-DTW flight departs at 7:00AM 1/1 as it should credit as a single flight with the 12/31 departure date. Note, however, that the direct flight earns 4475 MQM's vs. 4535 for non-direct connections.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by reimero
My hunch is that the MQMs won't count toward the current year since they won't post till after the year rolls over.
The good news is that everything should roll over toward next year's status.
Rollover is delayed slightly partly because of this reason. Regardless they can figure it out. I have definitively qualified for DM on Dec. 31 before and it didn't post for a couple of days.

I don't have any reason to believe that the first flight will post for 2018 and the second one for 2019.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Rollover is delayed slightly partly because of this reason. Regardless they can figure it out. I have definitively qualified for DM on Dec. 31 before and it didn't post for a couple of days.

I don't have any reason to believe that the first flight will post for 2018 and the second one for 2019.
Flights count towards the year flown. Flight on Dec 31st for 2018 totals and flight on Jan 1 to 2019 totals.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by LBJ
Would be helpful to know what flights OP is on. If DL1284/1106, he should be good as 1106 scheduled departure is 11:17PM. If on the DL1212 "direct" flight, he should also be okay even though the LAX-DTW flight departs at 7:00AM 1/1 as it should credit as a single flight with the 12/31 departure date. Note, however, that the direct flight earns 4475 MQM's vs. 4535 for non-direct connections.
Thanks everyone for all your helpful information and comments!

Hello LBJ, my flights will be DL1212, which departs from HNL at 9:35PM on 12/31 and departs from LAX at 7:00AM on 1/1.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by rayyu317
Thanks everyone for all your helpful information and comments!

Hello LBJ, my flights will be DL1212, which departs from HNL at 9:35PM on 12/31 and departs from LAX at 7:00AM on 1/1.
You've chosen a very complicated case study.

As stated above, if you are booked on DL1212 as 'direct' flight with a stop in LAX, then both segments will post as a single flight, departing on 12/31. So you will earn MQM based on the direct distance from HNL-DTW, and it will credit in 2018.

If for some reason your itinerary has booked DL1212 as two separate segments (unusual but not unheard of), then you will earn HNL-LAX MQM in 2018 but LAX-DTW MQM will post towards 2019 status.

Most people will try to 'force' booking as separate segments as you would earn more MQM. You have an unusual case where you would prefer the direct flight.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding from past years is that the rule was that the segment was credited for the year of its scheduled departure, so that delayed flights didn't make a difference. However, a further complication is that direct flights (stop and/or aircraft change but single flight number) credit according to scheduled departure of the first segment, unless one has a broken fare--I'm not sure how having an agent split the segments would affect this. Yet a further complication is that new sections (with something like a 9xxx flight number) after diversions/cancellations should count for the year of scheduled departure for the 9xxx flight (which can be very fluid), although one would presumably be able to request ORC. IROPs rebookings would presumably also entitle one to ORC unless they're considered voluntary, as a VDB would be.

My best guess is that the OP's LAX-DTW segment will credit for 2018 since there's a connection on January 1st.

Can the OP perhaps do a paid upgrade to FC now on the outbound in order to earn enough MQMs in 2018?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My best guess is that the OP's LAX-DTW segment will credit for 2018 since there's a connection on January 1st.
If it is indeed a 'direct' flight with a stop, there is no such thing as a LAX-DTW segment in the system. As far as the mileage posting goes, it thinks it is one flight HNL-DTW.

If a direct flight, it is unquestionably posting in 2018.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If it is indeed a 'direct' flight with a stop, there is no such thing as a LAX-DTW segment in the system. As far as the mileage posting goes, it thinks it is one flight HNL-DTW.

If a direct flight, it is unquestionably posting in 2018.
I agree, and I made the same point about direct flights, but the OP refers to this as a connection (and a layover).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are there even any direct flights that involve fully domestic routings? Every one I've ever seen involved one domestic and one international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.