Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Elite security lines for non-status companions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

I have been trying to get a definitive answer to a very basic question about what I assume is a very common situation, but cannot find it. Apologies if it has been covered, in which case moderators can feel free to direct me to the answer and delete or move the post.

I am GM. I'll be flying on the day before Thanksgiving with my non-status girlfriend and her non-status 14 yo daughter. Will my girlfriend and her daughter be able to use the elite security line, assuming they accompany me to enter the line? The departure airport is SEA. Also, FYI, the daughter is traveling on the same flights but on a separate reservation (a long story not relevant to explain here).

I am also TSA pre-check but presume that pre-check does not extend to companions.

The answer to this question will determine our arrival time at the airport on account of my anticipation that general security lines will be horrific on the afternoon before Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes can all go through the premium lane together. Only you can use PreCheck. If she is on the same reservation as you and you checkin together, you'll both likely get PreCheck. Sadly as daughter is 14 or older unless she gets PreCheck she technically must use the regular lane. Agents may not question if she appears younger.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Thanks . . . I wonder why, on the section of its website listing the perqs of the different status levels, Delta does not say anything about elite security lines being available to travel companions, in the same manner that it indicates other companion-applicable benefits, like baggage fees are waived for the elite member and up to 8 companions.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Never had an issue with people on the same reservation as me getting Pre-Check. Would doubt the daughter on the separate reservation will get it, but in Seattle with their lines it may be worth a shot. I'd doubt it, but at the least plan on some extra time for her to clear regular security.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Can't speak to TSA precheck, but in regards to the Priority (Sky Priority) lane at security, technically you must ALL be on the same reservation for all of you to use the Priority security lane. Her (your daughter's) reservation won't have Sky Priority on the boarding pass, so technically she (your daughter) can't use that lane. Your girlfriend however, on the same reservation as you, can as she will have sky Priority on her boarding pass.

If there is no line dragon policing the line, or you might even get away with "she's with me", especially if she is a minor. YMMV. So not saying it isn't possible to get away with it, but want you to be prepared with the facts just in case it doesn't work out.

My 2 cents, get there assuming none of you can use the Priority line. That time of year it isn't worth risking it, plus even the priority lane can get crazy. And at my airport the Priority lane only bypasses the line for ID check, after that you are in the same line, which often times at BNA that is where the wait is anyway. At ATL though I think the screening is separate so not sure on SEA.

Agreed this is very ambiguous on Delta's website, I sent an email to get clarification when I had the same question. Seen it asked a number of times on here since.

Last edited by defrosted; Nov 19, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
I sent an email to get clarification when I had the same question.
Originally Posted by DeltaContactUs
..eligible customers who are traveling with family or companions and who are booked in the same reservation will receive priority check-in, priority boarding, expedited baggage service, and access to expedited security (at select airports) and help centers.

Last edited by defrosted; Nov 19, 2018 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that the line minders who "police" access have no clue how to look for PNR's. As the "lead" passenger, you simply walk up, show the three BP's and say, "we are traveling together" and keep moving..
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that the line minders who "police" access have no clue how to look for PNR's. As the "lead" passenger, you simply walk up, show the three BP's and say, "we are traveling together" and keep moving..
Agreed about PNR but they can look through the boarding passes and notice one is not marked "Sky Priority". Was just in SFO and as "lead" passenger showed the boarding passes and the line lady looked specifically at each one.

Again I am not saying it isn't possible, just that OP needs to know he would be bending the rules and could risk delay. I mean it may be a small risk, in your opinion maybe almost no risk. But fact is technically it isn't allowed.

Bottom line, OP needs to know:
1-technically the daughter can't use that line
2-it is likely they can get through anyway

Let the OP decide if he wants to risk it during arguably the busiest travel time of the year.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
You might try linking the two reservations in the hopes that the daughter will then get PreCheck on her BP.

When I traveled with my two grandchildren (ages 9 and 13) a couple of months ago I was on a paid ticket while they were on SkyMiles award tickets with, of course, a different PNR. I called Delta and requested that the kids’ tickets be linked to mine. When we got our BPs my 13-year-old granddaughter had received PreCheck; the 9-year-old was young enough to go through that line with me. I don’t know whether that was a random assignment of PreCheck to a low-risk traveler or whether she received it because her ticket was linked to mine. But it doesn’t hurt to call and link the tickets.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:54 pm

Ugh You can not link reservations. There is not such thing. they just refer to the other pnr.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
Ugh You can not link reservations. There is not such thing. they just refer to the other pnr.
I know that, but it’s the easiest term to use. The agents know what you mean when you request it. And it’s not entirely inaccurate linguistically; if one reservation refers to another, that is a link. On that particular trip there were indications that some kind of attention was given to the “linked” reservations. In addition to the PreCheck, which may or may not have carried over to my granddaughter because of the “link,” I was not allowed to check in until I had gone to an agent with the kids.

What term would you suggest I use?

Ugh is a rude and unconstructive response.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I know that, but it’s the easiest term to use. The agents know what you mean when you request it. And it’s not entirely inaccurate linguistically; if one reservation refers to another, that is a link. On that particular trip there were indications that some kind of attention was given to the “linked” reservations. In addition to the PreCheck, which may or may not have carried over to my granddaughter because of the “link,” I was not allowed to check in until I had gone to an agent with the kids.

What term would you suggest I use?

Ugh is a rude and unconstructive response.
Apples and oranges.

Centurion is correct. Neither PNR's, reservations, nor tickets can be linked. In the case of children who are too young to travel alone, their tickets carry a flag which requires a responsible adult to check in with them or pay the unaccompanied minor fee (if they are old enough and otherwise qualify for that). The responsible adult can either be identified in advance which I presume happened to you or not. If not, then the kids simply wait for an adult to check in.

This issue has nothing to do with the above. Even if linking were possible, the two passengers would not be in the same PNR and would neither qualify for priority nor is it likely that Pre-Check would appear (even though TSA has told Congress that it is phasing it out anyway).

What DL can do is to simply enter a note in the two PNR's which references the other PNR. If a human being happens to open a PNR, they will see that there is another PNR to review.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=andrewk829;30445277]

I am GM. I'll be flying on the day before Thanksgiving with my non-status girlfriend .[/UOTE]
I think if I used the word non-status next to my wife when she was my girlfriend she wouldn’t be my gifted-status wife today. 😊😉
nlkm9, dealOCD and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
TCP3

Search "3OSI YY TCP2" or just go to "Can I tie my girlfriend's reservation to mine?" (old thread), post #15 . It helps only in IROPs. It's not the most current and from an infrequent poster, but s/he seemed to have some good knowledge at the time. It may be too late now that the outbound is under airport control, but it may help with the return.
I notice that Mr. Centurion didn't believe in linking res's then eitther, and I don't want to offend him because I like his clubs .
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
Was just in SFO and as "lead" passenger showed the boarding passes and the line lady looked specifically at each one..
For some reason they have been really particular about it at SFO recently. However, with just a little pushback I got what I wanted (to use the SP lane instead of the precheck lane--I had both).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.