Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia: Sky Club access?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
......but how the Aussies designed the domestic and international terminals miles away.
But not all Aussie airports with international flights are like that. Just BNE SYD & PER.
And the 2 BNE terminals are relativity new, which makes it ever stranger [QLD'ers are **&* ?]
MEL & ADL are OK
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:07 am

Thanks for the heads up on VA Club access even for domestic flights for GM/SkyPriority.

I'm actually flying to Australia on a United award ticket (only 64K miles per person after they did a 20% off sale plus using the Excursionist perk to New Zealand plus an open jaw) but with that open jaw I bought a VA one way from Sydney to Melbourne. Looking forward to using their lounge.

I guess it's helpful for some that Delta is having more flash award sales but the short term visibility and blackout dates (going for the Australian Open) make it hard for a planner like me. Of course, I'm in ATL so my flights are invariably DL but credit card spend/points now go to UA/SW...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ab2013
OK I was confused looking at Delta's page on partner credit but clearly I skipped over the part where they mention that "credit is given for miles flown": https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

It shows Deeply Discounted Economy and Discounted Economy fare classes as earning 5% and 10% MQDs respectively. So if the plane ticket costs $1200 before taxes and fees (given a "discounted fare class") on a VA coded flight that is 8000 miles, you're saying that I would earn 0.1*(16000) = $1600 for MQD? If it's the latter, then VA-coded flights are better for some of those fares indeed.
Correct. Everything is based off mileage and what fare class you book into. Thus if 10% would get $1600 if flew 16000 miles on a VA coded flight.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yeah, the annoying thing is that "partner" status doesn't get exactly the same as VA status (into the international lounges in Australia). The domestic lounges are fantastic and love the Premium entry features, but how the Aussies designed the domestic and international terminals miles away.....Have a LAX-MEL flight this week so will let you know if I'm at all successful in getting into the TBIT lounge or something in MEL on the return (I do have PP and SC memberships)
Yes, really the lounges are the only sticking point. And somewhat made up for with the domestic lounge access (which you usually won't get flying a Skyteam domestic flight).

I don't think there is any chance you can access a lounge in TBIT (assuming Y travel), as that is pretty well proven out, but I am interested to hear your experience in MEL international. The new lounge 'The House' is promoted as a joint VA/EY lounge, so not sure if it counts as an 'official' VA lounge or not. Definitely let us know.

In MEL the domestic terminal is adjacent to the international terminal, and the domestic lounge is outside security. So you can access that before you enter the international airside, if you have lots of time. That's a sure thing while once you get airside on international, you're stuck there.
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Correct. Everything is based off mileage and what fare class you book into. Thus if 10% would get $1600 if flew 16000 miles on a VA coded flight.
Time to pull out a calculator and figure out how to milk the proverbial cow.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Basically, yes. The agreement is reciprocal which means that VA elites get access to DL Skyclubs, and DL elites get access to VA operated lounges only. Of course, as a DL elite you still get access to Skyclubs where available, even when flying VA. So in SEA, you are flying DL to LAX and connecting internationally on the same ticket (or same day on a partner). You'd always have club access as a GM.

This is a nice partnership as it even includes access for domestic flights within Australia. The downside is VA doesn't currently operate any international lounges (set to open one in WLG soon). So, that means at many international ports, DL elites flying VA are out of luck, unless they can access a Skyclub. So for LAX, your only option is the Skyclub, not the Emirates lounge which VA elites get access to.

VA has started a new lounge contract in SYD, BNE, & MEL on the international side in conjunction with No1 Lounges. I don't believe it changes the DL elite situation, but it might be worth asking on your return journey. Please post your experience!
Hmmm I might take that into account when I look at AU-NZ tickets, though I originally planned on redeeming Avios rewards for a flight on QF through Chase and swiping my Priority Pass card for comp lounge access and/or food+drink (after all, have to live up to my reputation as a millennial). Will be sure to report my experience!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Hmmm I might take that into account when I look at AU-NZ tickets, though I originally planned on redeeming Avios rewards for a flight on QF through Chase and swiping my Priority Pass card for comp lounge access and/or food+drink (after all, have to live up to my reputation as a millennial). Will be sure to report my experience!
Using ff miles/points for an economy TT fare can be poor value compared to cash. There is a lot of competition Australia - New Zealand on the trans Tasman route. Trans Tasman pricing is very competitive. Fares are often ~AU/NZ$225-$275 one way in economy/coach, but can be more or less. Both economy & business fares can be low to very low. Or at peak times can be very high (double or triple the lowest). Air NZ often has sales. China Airlines were usually cheapest in the (southern hemisphere) summers of 2015-16, 2016-17 & 2017-18. Often best to buy on the com.au or co.nz web sites and/or select NZ or Australia in the upper part of web site as point of sale (POS).

Flights, east coast Australia BNE SYD MEL, to NZ are scheduled to take about 3:15hr to 3:45hr. East bound is a little faster due to prevailing winds. The flight schedules are padded so they often arrive early.

There is no advantage in buying a Aust-NZ return ticket. All air fares in Australia and New Zealand are sold as one ways. Effectively no such thing as a “return” with or without conditions. A “return” is just 2 one ways in a single PNR/ticket. It is often better to buy one ways, including on different carriers. Purchasing in NZ is often cheaper than purchasing the same NZ to Australia flight as the second leg of a “return” purchased in Australia.

For trans Tasman flights carefully check what is included in the price. Depending on the airline and/or fare booking class frequent flyer miles, water, food, checked baggage, seat selection and/or in flight entertainment can all be extra to the base fare.

Airlines that fly trans Tasman routes Australia (CNS* MCY* BNE OOL NCL SYD CBR MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC DUD ZQN) (not from all airports to all airports).
on topic
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:48 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
FYI, no lounge at LAX (they proactively told me this). I did use the Delta SC in T3 which worked due to my Delta DM status, so that was sufficient.

For MEL, "the House" is not for partner elites, and AUD$65 to go in. Again, they were proactive in telling me this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Basically, yes. The agreement is reciprocal which means that VA elites get access to DL Skyclubs, and DL elites get access to VA operated lounges only. Of course, as a DL elite you still get access to Skyclubs where available, even when flying VA. So in SEA, you are flying DL to LAX and connecting internationally on the same ticket (or same day on a partner). You'd always have club access as a GM.

This is a nice partnership as it even includes access for domestic flights within Australia. The downside is VA doesn't currently operate any international lounges (set to open one in WLG soon). So, that means at many international ports, DL elites flying VA are out of luck, unless they can access a Skyclub. So for LAX, your only option is the Skyclub, not the Emirates lounge which VA elites get access to.

VA has started a new lounge contract in SYD, BNE, & MEL on the international side in conjunction with No1 Lounges. I don't believe it changes the DL elite situation, but it might be worth asking on your return journey. Please post your experience!
Touching back on my experience as a GM:

SEA-LAX-SYD on DL metal, SYD-AKL on VA same day:

SEA: Got to the airport late (dropped off bags 31 mins before departure) so didn't drop by SkyClub. Whoops. Hats off to the agents who got my bags checked through to AKL.
LAX: SkyClub access in T2.
SYD: Rejected by SkyTeam lounge. Didn't bother going to VA's lounge.

SYD-LAX on VA, LAX-SEA on DL same day:

SYD: VA check-in counter told me I would not be allowed into their lounge but SkyTeam lounge took me in. Was surprised.
LAX: SkyClub T3 let me in.
SEA: SkyClub in A concourse let me in and I had a nice feast.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:38 pm

Touching back on my experience as a GM:

SEA-LAX-SYD on DL metal, SYD-AKL on VA same day:
SYD: Rejected by SkyTeam lounge. Didn't bother going to VA's lounge.
That's a shame. I've fought the Skyteam SYD lounge on this before and won. Skyteam rules say you can access the Skyteam lounge if you are arriving OR departing on a Skyteam flight. Arrival on DL metal counts. Please complain to DL about this, because these lounge agents seem to not follow the rules unless pressed hard.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

That's a shame. I've fought the Skyteam SYD lounge on this before and won. Skyteam rules say you can access the Skyteam lounge if you are arriving OR departing on a Skyteam flight. Arrival on DL metal counts. Please complain to DL about this, because these lounge agents seem to not follow the rules unless pressed hard.
Yeah it's a shame the policies are not upheld - looking forward to DL's response a month from now. I did fight them and emphasized that I had just gotten off a DL flight from LAX that same day and they insisted that they couldn't let me in unless I departed from SYD on DL metal or paid a ludicrous fee of $79 (give or take a couple dollars). That's why I was surprised that they let me in on my way back to LAX on VA metal in PE.

Last edited by ab2013; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No STE+ isn't an arrival lounge benefit. You need an onward flight to use it.
rogo likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
He had an onward flight, just not one on SkyTeam (SYD-AKL). But it doesn't matter, any onward flight will do.

https://www.skyteam.com/en/about/faq/lounge-access/

International First and Business Class passengers, as well as SkyTeam Elite Plus members traveling in Economy Class, enjoy complimentary access to more than 629 worldwide member lounges on the day of travel when flying on or connecting to or from an international flight operated by a SkyTeam carrier.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:25 pm

Indeed, but it doesn't have to be an onward Skyteam flight. As long as you are connecting from a Skyteam flight you are entitled to lounge access. Read the rules.

Especially in the case of a single ticket, the rules are clear on this. Unfortunately the agents especially in SYD don't know the rules.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Just confirming that my wife and I received access to the VA SYD domestic lounge on a SYD-MEL 1 way on VA even as a lowly GM. I was afraid I might have to convince the lounge rep but she reviewed my DL GM card in my Apple Wallet and boarding pass and I was good to go.

Now the SkyMiles for this flight never posted (even though my # was in the VA system) so I just submitted those...via FAX, really DL??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.