Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia: Sky Club access?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Virgin Australia: Sky Club access?

As a DL GM, will I get Sky Club access if I buy a Virgin Australia ticket that is ticketed by DL with a DL flight number (gotta chase those SkyPesos, MQMs and MQDs)? I know it's a benefit for Elite Plus when traveling internationally, but VA isn't a member of SkyTeam and DL's website only mentions "complimentary lounge access" as a benefit, which seems a bit vague because it could mean that access is limited to lounges in VA's network. Considering VA because their planes for US-AU flights seem to outclass DL's 777s that are in need of a refresh.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
As a DL GM, will I get Sky Club access if I buy a Virgin Australia ticket that is ticketed by DL with a DL flight number (gotta chase those SkyPesos, MQMs and MQDs)? I know it's a benefit for Elite Plus when traveling internationally, but VA isn't a member of SkyTeam and DL's website only mentions "complimentary lounge access" as a benefit, which seems a bit vague because it could mean that access is limited to lounges in VA's network. Considering VA because their planes for US-AU flights seem to outclass DL's 777s that are in need of a refresh.

Yes, you will. It's not a Sky Team benefit in this case, but it is a benefit of the partnership.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...its.html/#bwpa
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Do check that a VA coded wouldn't earn more. Everything, including MQD is mileage based, when flying on VA coded flight. Ticketing carrier hasnt mattered since Jan 1 this year.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Do check that a VA coded wouldn't earn more. Everything, including MQD is mileage based, when flying on VA coded flight. Ticketing carrier hasnt mattered since Jan 1 this year.
LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE: DL 6798/6792/6794. I did some dummy bookings and the website is telling me that I earn 100% MQDs and extra MQMs for premium eco -- this is correct right? (Just asking, because DL IT is known for being so reliable)

I think the VA coded ones earn a percentage of spend that starts at something tiny like 30%. I'm avoiding those like the plague.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE: DL 6798/6792/6794. I did some dummy bookings and the website is telling me that I earn 100% MQDs and extra MQMs for premium eco -- this is correct right? (Just asking, because DL IT is known for being so reliable)

I think the VA coded ones earn a percentage of spend that starts at something tiny like 30%. I'm avoiding those like the plague.

Thanks!
It's not percentage of spend. It's percentage of miles flown. 30% of miles flown can be thousands more then MQD based on fare. Common confusion that partner marketed MQD is percent of fare, when it's percent of miles flown.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

It's not percentage of spend. It's percentage of miles flown. 30% of miles flown can be thousands more then MQD based on fare. Common confusion that partner marketed MQD is percent of fare, when it's percent of miles flown.
I probably should have been more precise, but I was actually referring to MQD credit being a percentage of actual spend. However, I wasn't aware that it was a percentage of miles flown for base mile credit, so thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

I'm not sure Skyclub access would be that much of a benefit flying internationally out of LAX. VA invariably leaves from TBIT and quite often from the midfield gates, so you'd have to schlep from T2/T3 to TBIT and then on another bus to the midfield decreasing your time in the lounge. And there is no Skyclub in Australia.

Please check but I think on a VA international ticket you would get reciprocal access that VA Golds get which is access to the Emirates lounge at LAX (Etihad if you take the morning Brisbane flight) and the rebranded Etihad lounges in Sydney and Melbourne.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I'm not sure Skyclub access would be that much of a benefit flying internationally out of LAX. VA invariably leaves from TBIT and quite often from the midfield gates, so you'd have to schlep from T2/T3 to TBIT and then on another bus to the midfield decreasing your time in the lounge. And there is no Skyclub in Australia.

Please check but I think on a VA international ticket you would get reciprocal access that VA Golds get which is access to the Emirates lounge at LAX (Etihad if you take the morning Brisbane flight) and the rebranded Etihad lounges in Sydney and Melbourne.
SkyClub access is a benefit if I start in SEA (it's real nice). Yeah - was aware that DL only has SCs in the domestic terminals (T2/3) at LAX
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DL's website only mentions "complimentary lounge access" as a benefit, which seems a bit vague because it could mean that access is limited to lounges in VA's network.
Basically, yes. The agreement is reciprocal which means that VA elites get access to DL Skyclubs, and DL elites get access to VA operated lounges only. Of course, as a DL elite you still get access to Skyclubs where available, even when flying VA. So in SEA, you are flying DL to LAX and connecting internationally on the same ticket (or same day on a partner). You'd always have club access as a GM.

This is a nice partnership as it even includes access for domestic flights within Australia. The downside is VA doesn't currently operate any international lounges (set to open one in WLG soon). So, that means at many international ports, DL elites flying VA are out of luck, unless they can access a Skyclub. So for LAX, your only option is the Skyclub, not the Emirates lounge which VA elites get access to.

VA has started a new lounge contract in SYD, BNE, & MEL on the international side in conjunction with No1 Lounges. I don't believe it changes the DL elite situation, but it might be worth asking on your return journey. Please post your experience!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I probably should have been more precise, but I was actually referring to MQD credit being a percentage of actual spend. However, I wasn't aware that it was a percentage of miles flown for base mile credit, so thanks!
You're still not grasping what I'm saying. MQD credit for VA coded flight is a percentage of miles flown. Fare cost does NOT come into play. If you fly 10000 miles and the fare class multiplier is 30% you earn $3000 MQD regardless of what you actually pay.
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

You're still not grasping what I'm saying. MQD credit for VA coded flight is a percentage of miles flown. Fare cost does NOT come into play. If you fly 10000 miles and the fare class multiplier is 30% you earn $3000 MQD regardless of what you actually pay.
100%... VA-coded flight MQD has nothing to do with the cost of the ticket. For long-haul, this can mean VA-coded flights are preferable in terms of earning. You just have to do the math and see however.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Basically, yes. The agreement is reciprocal which means that VA elites get access to DL Skyclubs, and DL elites get access to VA operated lounges only. Of course, as a DL elite you still get access to Skyclubs where available, even when flying VA. So in SEA, you are flying DL to LAX and connecting internationally on the same ticket (or same day on a partner). You'd always have club access as a GM.

This is a nice partnership as it even includes access for domestic flights within Australia. The downside is VA doesn't currently operate any international lounges (set to open one in WLG soon). So, that means at many international ports, DL elites flying VA are out of luck, unless they can access a Skyclub. So for LAX, your only option is the Skyclub, not the Emirates lounge which VA elites get access to.

VA has started a new lounge contract in SYD, BNE, & MEL on the international side in conjunction with No1 Lounges. I don't believe it changes the DL elite situation, but it might be worth asking on your return journey. Please post your experience!
Would business class passengers get access to the Emirates lounge? How about a DL DM in business class on VA?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would business class passengers get access to the Emirates lounge?
Yes of course. Same as any J passenger. Business lounge access has nothing to do with status. No FF# is going to preclude you from visiting the business class lounge on a J ticket.

A DL flyer would have the option of the Skyclub in addition to the J lounge, but that's about the only difference it would make.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
100%... VA-coded flight MQD has nothing to do with the cost of the ticket. For long-haul, this can mean VA-coded flights are preferable in terms of earning. You just have to do the math and see however.
OK I was confused looking at Delta's page on partner credit but clearly I skipped over the part where they mention that "credit is given for miles flown": https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

It shows Deeply Discounted Economy and Discounted Economy fare classes as earning 5% and 10% MQDs respectively. So if the plane ticket costs $1200 before taxes and fees (given a "discounted fare class") on a VA coded flight that is 8000 miles, you're saying that I would earn 0.1*(16000) = $1600 for MQD? If it's the latter, then VA-coded flights are better for some of those fares indeed.

Last edited by ab2013; Nov 18, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:02 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, the annoying thing is that "partner" status doesn't get exactly the same as VA status (into the international lounges in Australia). The domestic lounges are fantastic and love the Premium entry features, but how the Aussies designed the domestic and international terminals miles away.....Have a LAX-MEL flight this week so will let you know if I'm at all successful in getting into the TBIT lounge or something in MEL on the return (I do have PP and SC memberships)
ab2013 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.