Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond
This isn't new it seems, but just enforced sporadically. My most recent FA didn't care—he even let me keep my PDB as long as I promised to hold it during takeoff.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just hide it in your seat so they can’t seat it.....easy fix.
Mine was hidden just heard the FA telling others. My girlfriend was next to me with a liter of Smart Water in the seat pocket and that was fine per the FA.
That made a lot of sense.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:35 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Who cares about water bottles on arm rests when I had a seat mate one time fall asleep with his venti Starbucks coffee (which was still almost full) just sitting there on the arm rest right when we were about to take off. Luckily I noticed and held it, otherwise that would not have been a fun experience.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I believe there are rules pertaining to the seat pockets, where the FAA certifies certain items may be put in them (and I think its only stuff like the magazine, safety card, barf bag etc). So technically the FA is likely correct, although the enforcement is usually lax and more focused on not having loose items like the bottles or pdb sitting on the armrest.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77

Mine was hidden just heard the FA telling others. My girlfriend was next to me with a liter of Smart Water in the seat pocket and that was fine per the FA.
That made a lot of sense.
The rule that's being invoked is about removing service items before takeoff and landing. That would apply to water bottles that DL gives you, but not one that you bring on board. As a safety measure, this seems illogical.

On RJs, supposedly the seat back pockets aren't large enough to keep water bottles from flying in an emergency.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
If the FA ever tells you that you can’t stick the water bottles in the seat back pocket, the larger pocket at the bottom of the seat will completely hide the water bottle from the FA so they can’t see it sticking out like in the mini pocket above. Problem solved.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If the FA ever tells you that you can’t stick the water bottles in the seat back pocket, the larger pocket at the bottom of the seat will completely hide the water bottle from the FA so they can’t see it sticking out like in the mini pocket above. Problem solved.
I have run into FAs who go proactively looking for the bottles, and been told to "drink it or give it back and I will bring you one after takeoff". One time I had put it in my backpack in the OHB and the FA made me get it out and give it to her. (short flight, so I was saving it for the next leg where I was't likely to get upgraded) That said, I don't think it has ever happened on mainline - it was one of the connection carriers - SkyWest maybe? Whichever one it is, they enforce the rule more often than not, while everyone else ignores it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have run into FAs who go proactively looking for the bottles, and been told to "drink it or give it back and I will bring you one after takeoff". One time I had put it in my backpack in the OHB and the FA made me get it out and give it to her. (short flight, so I was saving it for the next leg where I was't likely to get upgraded) That said, I don't think it has ever happened on mainline - it was one of the connection carriers - SkyWest maybe? Whichever one it is, they enforce the rule more often than not, while everyone else ignores it.
It is ludicrous that they made you take it out of your backpack. I definitely would not have told them it was there, let alone have complied.

That is beyond words and some of these FAs on power trips are just ridiculous.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It is ludicrous that they made you take it out of your backpack. I definitely would not have told them it was there, let alone have complied.

Brings up the question that since the regulation is about food, etc "provided by the carrier" "furnished by the certificate holder" what about my own water bottle that I brought on with me? My Starbucks vente latte?
(edited to correctly quote the regulation)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

She hit every row and acted like she was taking inventory. She put out x bottles,so she expected to get x bottles back - empty or full didn't matter to her.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
She hit every row and acted like she was taking inventory. She put out x bottles,so she expected to get x bottles back - empty or full didn't matter to her.
Any bets on how many of those water bottles went off the aircraft in her bag?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta

I was under the impression that most of these things are actually FAA regulations and not optional airline policies?
correct. Very very very few "airline policies" are actually voluntary airline policy. Most of it is FARs or something the airline agreed to so they could get their AOC.

QA people don't get paid enough for the crap(aka paper work) they have to deal with. Reading FARs, ACs, ADs, TSO, etc. etc. etc put most people to sleep.
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Jeez, i've been on numerous flights when they didn't even collect the PDB for takeoff.
Same. It all depends on the crew. A lot of things people complain about on here are either FARs and/or something the FAA approved for the airline AOC. It just depends on how the crew does service.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
There have been lots of reports about this recently, so yes, it must be a new thing. I don't actually think it's a new FAA regulation. Rather, I think that DL must have decided to get more serious about enforcing it. Perhaps they got in trouble about it for some reason? I assume there are some type of random undercover checks for compliance, and perhaps they got fined for this.
Its not new. Its probably something the FAA is pissing and moaning about though
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rule that's being invoked is about removing service items before takeoff and landing. That would apply to water bottles that DL gives you, but not one that you bring on board. As a safety measure, this seems illogical.

On RJs, supposedly the seat back pockets aren't large enough to keep water bottles from flying in an emergency.
I'm not exactly sure, but I'd bet the FAA would consider your personal water bottle as something that also has to be put up. Probably under a different FAR and I'm to lazy to search for it.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:24 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any bets on how many of those water bottles went off the aircraft in her bag?
ah yes the lucrative free water bottle grift

lol
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
About 150 segments last year and had this happen twice - so infrequently enforced at best
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:25 pm

I have only seen it happen once, and it was when I was on a flight with DL captain/FO sitting next to me, I had mine tucked in next to my leg (not because of this rule which I was unaware of at the time, because the pockets are always freaking nasty) but the DL employee had it in the seatback pocket and the FA told him to move it. He laughed and said, "I should know better". He seemed to know the crew, though, so maybe they were just ball busting him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.