Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Jeez, i've been on numerous flights when they didn't even collect the PDB for takeoff.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I’ve seen the same thing VERY randomly over the past two years. I’d say 1/10 flights an FA will mention it.
My first. So 1 in hundreds.

Originally Posted by Often1
So, it's a rule which is spottily enforced. If something does happen, it may result in liability for DL to the injured passenger, DL may be fined, the FA fined, and disciplined.

Once enforced, e.g. FA tells you to move the thing, it's a valid crewmember instruction so not something to argue about.
Of course. I wasn't saying otherwise. I handed over the water bottle.

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
As with anything inflight. It is how the FA’s enforce it. I have had bottles in the seat back. No comment, from the crew. I have properly stored items under the seat in front of me and also left them out at my feet. Same with PDB’s. Also in the old days when you could not have electronics on (headphones and other electonics) below 10,000 feet, some times they would call you out and sometimes they would not. Laptops as well. It is all random, depending upon the crew. Also seat backs and tray tables. I have been on flights where they say nothing when people are reclined or have their tray tables down during landing.
I see all of your things enforced almost 100%. I've never had water bottle confiscated and multiple people try and put it into the seat back pocket(that closes and the water bottle would have an amazing journey to escape). My guess is based on this thread and the rule someone was being supervised or was new. Or running a test. Or similar.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Jeez, i've been on numerous flights when they didn't even collect the PDB for takeoff.
I always assumed that was why the PDBs are usually served in plastic (or styrofoam for hot liquids) cups, except of course on international longhaul D1 etc. If the FA doesn't collect the glass, I usually drink the remaining liquid and put the glass it the seat pocket, hidden of course.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I regularly have them grab the bottle if not put away, or I'm not holding it. Never have seen them take it out of a seat pocket. Was it all seat pockets, or just the bulkhead that had them pulled out? Bulkhead pockets don't really have space for them.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I regularly have them grab the bottle if not put away, or I'm not holding it. Never have seen them take it out of a seat pocket. Was it all seat pockets, or just the bulkhead that had them pulled out? Bulkhead pockets don't really have space for them.
I was in the last row of FC in an a321 and it was taken.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Convince the F cabin to pony up a $1 kitty

Then have your seat mates put their seat number on the bottle with a pen. Then drop them on the floor just after boarding. At the end of the flight the bottle that has made it the farthest back in the plane wins the kitty
puck021 and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Convince the F cabin to pony up a $1 kitty

Then have your seat mates put their seat number on the bottle with a pen. Then drop them on the floor just after boarding. At the end of the flight the bottle that has made it the farthest back in the plane wins the kitty
Go, banana!

Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:05 pm

I can't remember which, but one of the Connection carriers really has a hard-on for this rule - even to the point of not allowing the bottle to be in hand or in the seat pocket in any way. I have just gotten in the habit of dropping it between my hip and the armrest as soon as I sit down, and haven't had one taken since.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have just gotten in the habit of dropping it between my hip and the armrest as soon as I sit down, and haven't had one taken since.
This is where you'll find mine, too. Easy access, doesn't roll around. I try not to put food items in the seatback pockets, ew.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I find on regional jets that they are super aggressive about collecting PDBs before the door closes whereas on mainline, they let you keep the drinks while taxiing. Seems to be contradictory to the rule, but not sure it is in any way dangerous to be holding a drink while taxiing. Maybe these FARs should be put into place for the buses that are often used overseas to transport people to remote stands. There doesn't seem to be any issue driving at 25 mph around an airport with people standing like sardines.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Due to new FAA regulation the Dasani Water Bottle is not Allowed in the seat pocket

Per the FA in F prior to takeoff on DL2978 BNA-ATL on 1-21-19.
A little skeptical of the new rule since it was not enforced on my 3 segments in F since then.

Is this really a new rule or a FA making a rule up?

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...r-bottles.html
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just hide it in your seat so they can’t seat it.....easy fix.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
There have been lots of reports about this recently, so yes, it must be a new thing. I don't actually think it's a new FAA regulation. Rather, I think that DL must have decided to get more serious about enforcing it. Perhaps they got in trouble about it for some reason? I assume there are some type of random undercover checks for compliance, and perhaps they got fined for this.
Widgets likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS has been pretty hard over on “no water bottles in seat pockets” for a couple years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.