FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta One A330 family seating query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1941021-delta-one-a330-family-seating-query.html)

datickner Nov 17, 2018 8:16 am

Delta One A330 family seating query

Hi there

We are a family of 3, flying in Delta One on an A330 shortly. Me, my wife and our 18 month old son.

Just wondering what people think would be the best seating arrangement for the 3 of us please?

We were thinking our son in a window seat, with one of us across the aisle from him and another one of us infront or behind him by the window.

Thought about the middle 2 but there seems to be a divide between the seats so access to him would be tough and he might get out and wander!

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

kpbadger Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am

My advice is to do two middles and the adjacent window. There is not a significant divider on the DL A330 between the two middle seats (i.e. you can still see each other, pass things back and forth, etc. although you cannot physically get into one seat from the other). The parent in the other middle is responsible for feeding, entertaining, etc. (they can lean forward a bit to see the the other middle) while the parent in the window is responsible for anything that requires aisle access or significant hands-on.

Also be aware of carseat restrictions in certain D1 cabins if you're planning to use a carseat.

SuperG1955 Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

You might want to review the following:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/children.../infant-travel

I

Infant-in-Arms or Ticketed

When you travel with a child under 2 years old, you may choose to travel with the child on your lap (infant-in-arms) or travel with your child in an FAA-approved child safety seat. To use a FAA-approved safety seat, you must purchase a ticket for your child so they have a reserved seat.

Where to Sit with a Child Safety SeatThe window seat is the preferred location for an approved child safety seat (child restraint system or car seat). Other locations may be acceptable provided the seat is not installed between other passengers and the aisle. An accompanying adult must sit next to the child. More than one car seat may be in use in the same row and section of seats. Per FAA regulations, children under 2 years of age are not allowed to sit in a seat equipped with an airbag seat belt.

When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas:
  • Aisle seats
  • Emergency exit rows
  • Any seat one row forward or one row back from an emergency exit row
  • Bulkhead seats when the safety seat is a combination car seat and stroller
  • Flatbed seats in the Delta One™ area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*
*Child Safety Seats are not permitted in this area since the airbag seat belt cannot be deactivated.

datickner Nov 17, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for the info. That's helpful. I was thinking about the middle 2 but worry the parent on one of the middle will be cut off and won't be able to get to the other parent or child unless they walk all the way around to the other aisle... But I guess the other parent could do this.

We won't be using a car seat. He's very mobile now so will just be in his seat alone with no seat and not infant in arms. Obviously sitting with us for take off and landing as required

MSPeconomist Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

Does DL allow an 18 month old In his own seat without a car seat? Is this safe?

3Cforme Nov 17, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30439348)

This page suggests not. https://www.delta.com/us/en/children.../infant-travel

Before finding that my thinking was:

a. the kid needs to be buckled in his seat whenever the seatbelt light is on, or

b. he needs to be in the arms of a parent

airmotive Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am

The rules are somewhat confusing. One paragraph says, per FAA regs, a child under 2 cannot sit in a seat with an airbag. Delta then says a child cannot be in a car seat in a seat with an airbag.
Either way, it seems an 18 month old may not be seated in Business class on an A330.

datickner Nov 17, 2018 9:57 am

Hmm interesting.... From reading different sources it seems that many people have travelled with an under 2 toddler in business class with them having their own seat.

Essentially the adults have their two seats and hold the child for take off and landing and when required... And the extra seat is used for the baby to sleep and lie down / play .

We have done this with other airlines before, just not delta ...

We have also done 3 economy seats with him having his own seat, without a car seat etc and its never been a problem .. Seems like it's all a grey area

Marylou Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30439348)

I was wondering that as well. This part of the rule quoted seems to indicate it’s an either or situation. Either in lap or or car seat.

Infant-in-Arms or Ticketed

When you travel with a child under 2 years old, you may choose to travel with the child on your lap (infant-in-arms) or travel with your child in an FAA-approved child safety seat. To use a FAA-approved safety seat, you must purchase a ticket for your child so they have a reserved seat.

GopherMSP Nov 17, 2018 10:30 am

Related question - any suggestions for a family of four? We have an experienced 8-yo flyer, a 3-yo, and two parents. We currently have a whole row in D1 booked with the 8-yo at one window, one parent and the 3-yo in the middle, and the other parent on the other window opposite the young one.

datickner Nov 17, 2018 10:32 am

How strange .... We have travelled twice with him with delta in economy and both times he had his own seat and did not use a car seat . He just used an extension seat belt ..

CarmenOM Nov 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by datickner (Post 30439501)
How strange .... We have travelled twice with him with delta in economy and both times he had his own seat and did not use a car seat . He just used an extension seat belt ..

The economy seats don’t have airbags, so it’s not an issue there. The problem arises with the Delta One seats that have the airbags.

jdrtravel Nov 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by datickner (Post 30439501)

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 30439891)

The economy seats don’t have airbags, so it’s not an issue there. The problem arises with the Delta One seats that have the airbags.

He can have his own Delta One seat if you buy it, you just can't use a car seat. You will need to hold him for takeoff and landing, but can use the flatbed seat for sleeping. My understanding is that seatbelt extenders deactivate the airbags on these, so you may want to ask for one, though I'm not sure you would be able to strap him into the bed in this case as the belt may be too loose.

My suggestion would be to take row 1, the two middle seats and one window. This way, if the parent in the middle needs to walk around to the other aisle, they can just go right there around the bulkhead and not have to walk all the way through the cabin.

Marylou Nov 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by datickner (Post 30439173)
Hi there

We are a family of 3, flying in Delta One on an A330 shortly. Me, my wife and our 18 month old son.

Just wondering what people think would be the best seating arrangement for the 3 of us please?

We were thinking our son in a window seat, with one of us across the aisle from him and another one of us infront or behind him by the window.

Thought about the middle 2 but there seems to be a divide between the seats so access to him would be tough and he might get out and wander!

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

That sounds like a perfect plan to me.

pvn Nov 17, 2018 2:25 pm

hahah I knew it would only be moments before the kiddie cops showed up to figure out a way to get this guy thrown out of J