Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best SkyMiles partner from UK to Australia

Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL

Hello all. I'm a UK based SkyMiles member and I have to sketch out a trip from the UK to Australia.

I could start from LHR, but the ease of a smaller local airport makes KLM to AMS preferable. KLM now codeshare with Qantas, bringing up an attractive routing via AMS and SIN, but the last sector will be a KL-ticketed and KL-numbered but QF-metal flight. Other KLM options are via AMS and onwards with Ethiad and China Southern.

Since this could be the biggest trip of the year, what you are your recommendations for a routing to maximise SkyMiles earning?

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I would take GA. I think they still fly from AMS (and recently stopped LHR)? Connect over to AMS with KL.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
The Qantas flight won't earn you and Skymiles, MQM's, or MQD's. The operating carrier of your flights must be SkyTeam in order to earn, regardless of the flight number.

You can piece together the KL/GA flights on ita, but I don't believe they codeshare on flights past CGK.

I did a quick search for MAN-SYD and found routings through CDG/AMS to both ICN and PVG then on KE or MU to SYD. Those routings were actually faster than through SIN. At least with this routing you'll be on tier one partners and earn full MQM's while a GA flight won't earn you much.

When doing flight searches don't forget about the Virgin airlines or Jet. They aren't SkyTeam, but Delta partners with them and they earn like AF/KL do.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
If you are willing to fly from LHR -- last year there was a very good business fare available on VN, and I was pleased with the service. Probably require a double connect in both HAN and SGN -- but if you have the time, VN did offer some free tours and even 1 night hotel rooms on some of the connections. But it will earn at the lower level partner rate.
Best for base, MQD and MQM earning will be VS/VA, AF, KL, KE and MU.
There was a reasonably good business fare on CI CDG-TPE-Australia and even better to NZ. Less than USD 2500. But lesser SM earning as CI is tier 2. The CDG-TPE flights are AF metal but CI coded. Not sure if it is still available.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LHR - LAX - SYD -- it's the longest but not by that much and keeps you on VS/DL metal which should maximize earning.

Could also do LHR - HKG - SYD though not sure what the DL earn would be using VS/VA vs ST partners
Weekend Away, Tom45 and CPMaverick like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
The Qantas flight won't earn you and Skymiles, MQM's, or MQD's. The operating carrier of your flights must be SkyTeam in order to earn, regardless of the flight number.

You can piece together the KL/GA flights on ita, but I don't believe they codeshare on flights past CGK.

I did a quick search for MAN-SYD and found routings through CDG/AMS to both ICN and PVG then on KE or MU to SYD. Those routings were actually faster than through SIN. At least with this routing you'll be on tier one partners and earn full MQM's while a GA flight won't earn you much.

When doing flight searches don't forget about the Virgin airlines or Jet. They aren't SkyTeam, but Delta partners with them and they earn like AF/KL do.
However be careful. A non DL or VS/9W coded VS/9W operated flight earns nothing in DL program. Thus a KL VS/9W flight would earn zero DL miles.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Duke787
LHR - LAX - SYD -- it's the longest but not by that much and keeps you on VS/DL metal which should maximize earning.

Could also do LHR - HKG - SYD though not sure what the DL earn would be using VS/VA vs ST partners
LHR - HKG - SYD on VS/VA will maximise your earning as well as MQMs as much as the Tier 1 ST partners. Plus it's shorter and connecting at HKG is a breeze... friends don't let enemies connect internationally at LAX.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Thanks all, I appreciate your time and input.

I had a look at DL via LAX, but fares to MEL (my ultimate destination) are 6,000 + in Y.

VS from LHR is another option, but it LHR adds 4-6 hours to door-to-door travel time.... and it adds the overall experience of LHR as well

Thanks for the suggestions about GA. From AMS, KL835 to SIN and DPS is well timed to connect to GA718 DPS-MEL. Not such great connections via Jakarta, but perhaps a smaller airports means the experience at DPS would be better.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Didn't link to the Delta site in my first reply, but check here for the airlines you can use and what their earnings are. Be mindful that China Southern just announced their intentions to leave SkyTeam sometime in 2019. I would imagine that a CZ flight booked soon will still earn after their departure, DL typically grandfather's in reservations made prior to a major change, but they might not if the exit isn't amicable.

Also, as @flyerCO mentioned, the Jet Airways flights can be quite tricky. A 9W marketed and operated flight is good, but if it's a KL marketed and 9W operated flight, you won't earn. Same with the reverse of the two despite both being tier one partners and all three having a partnership together. Similarly with VA and VS, while both are partners with DL, it doesn't look like a codeshare between the two will earn you miles for all flights. So you can fly VS to HKG and then connect to VA all under VS or VA flight numbers, but one of the two flights wouldn't earn credit.

What dates and airports are you looking at?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Unfortunately Australia-Europe is a blind spot for DL Skymiles members. Not many good options. The best route IMO is VS/VA connecting in HKG, which is a recent addition. Good aircraft, good airlines, maximum DL earning. Of course, LHR is not ideal, particularly if one wants to go to continental Europe.

Since you are near LHR that is the obvious choice, but if you must avoid LHR, and are willing to do separate tickets, HKG is still a good transit point to take VA onwards. Generally HKG-Europe tickets are cheap, and the VA flights between SYD/MEL-HKG have been quite inexpensive as well.

Otherwise, KLM metal can get you as close as DPS. KE has flights to SYD from ICN. MU has many flights from China to Australia. CI goes from Taiwan. GA as mentioned, is a good airline and an option from DPS or CGK, although Skymiles earning isn't great.

One note: I transited from KLM to Jetstar at DPS on a single KLM ticket in 2015 (again, to try and maximize earnings with DL). It was a real nightmare. I could not check in online with Jetstar, and when I arrived in DPS, there was no way to check-in airside. I had to enter Indonesia and go to the Jetstar counter, which meant long immigration lines and I had to pay a visa on arrival fee. Then I had to wait in the standard Jetstar line for almost an hour to get my ticket. Then back through immigration, and back through security. It took a good 2.5 hours. Part of that was because of Jetstar, but unless things have changed I can't recommend connecting at DPS. It is not set up well for international transit.

I know LHR is a pain, but flying UK-AMS-SIN-DPS-Australia must be worse than LHR-HKG-Australia, right?

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 19, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.