Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible to book this flight on one ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to fly from SLC to JFK through LAX on Jan 21. The flights I'm looking at are DL 1218 at 10:05 PM and DL 2197 at 11:59 PM.
Since it books as two different fares, is it possible just the second flight from LAX to JFK in Delta One? If I look at the individual flight, there is a Delta One fare for about $470 more than the X fare I can book which I would love to be on. Trying to book the whole thing as First/Delta One comes up to be around $3,000.

If not, I may just book the earlier flight to LAX and a separate ticket to JFK with a 2hr 45 layover, but I'd prefer if everything could be done on a single ticket.

Does anyone know if/how this cane be done?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried to call DL and ask?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried to call DL and ask?
Yeah and unfortunately it still came up to like 2,200.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is standard ticketing requirements when you are connecting through an airport for which there are covering fares for that routing. Unless the layover is longer than 4 hours (creating a stopover and fare break), the pricing method will be based on SLC-JFK through fares and married segment bucket availability, and you cannot book as individual segments and fares on a single ticket. There's no way to get around this other than by booking the segments on separate tickets.

Edit to add that while there are no through fares for SLC-JFK via LAX (all fares on route require non-stop routing), there is married segment bucket inventory covering that routing and that is what is tripping up OP as DL heavily restricts LAX-JFK buckets when marrying with other flights (see below).

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:03 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - why do you want 1 ticket?

DL will still protect you on IRROPs and check your bag thru - especially as a D1 passenger - and you can still get lounge access at SLC by giving them the separate DL1 ticket info for access
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ModernDayGod
Yeah and unfortunately it still came up to like 2,200.
Unfortunately most Delta fares prohibit END-TO-END fare construction, so yes your single ticket will be based on SLC-JFK fares.

DL will protect you but you risk staying in LAX overnight with 48 minute connection / last flight out of LAX. Delta will not pay for hotel on seaprate tickets.

OP, you are doubling your travel time by adding 4 hours (or more if you take earlier flight) so that you could sit 5 hours in D1 on a 757???

LAX-JFK is too short to get a proper sleep on red eye anyway. Take nonstop, save time, $$$ and sleep in real bed.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
This is standard ticketing requirements when you are connecting through an airport for which there are covering fares for that routing. Unless the layover is longer than 4 hours (creating a stopover and fare break), the pricing method will be based on SLC-JFK through fares and married segment bucket availability, and you cannot book as individual segments and fares on a single ticket. There's no way to get around this other than by booking the segments on separate tickets.
You can often book broken fares with DL, especially for domestic itineraries without having any stopovers (over four hours for domestic, more than 24 hours for international). In fact, delta.dumb offers many broken fare when I try to purchase tickets and one needs to know to avoid them.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AntonS
Unfortunately most Delta fares prohibit END-TO-END fare construction, so yes your single ticket will be based on SLC-JFK fares.

DL will protect you but you risk staying in LAX overnight with 48 minute connection / last flight out of LAX. Delta will not pay for hotel on seaprate tickets.

OP, you are doubling your travel time by adding 4 hours (or more if you take earlier flight) so that you could sit 5 hours in D1 on a 757???

LAX-JFK is too short to get a proper sleep on red eye anyway. Take nonstop, save time, $$$ and sleep in real bed.
I wholeheartedly agree. Isn’t it interesting to see how marketing changes behavior? To me, it’s amazing seeing how folk will take extra trips to get the additional label even though there really isn’t added value to be had. As you point out, going for the nonstop results in time savings, lower cost, and sleeping on a bed for a full night!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can often book broken fares with DL, especially for domestic itineraries without having any stopovers (over four hours for domestic, more than 24 hours for international). In fact, delta.dumb offers many broken fare when I try to purchase tickets and one needs to know to avoid them.
There are issues when there is married segment inventory covering the routing as there is in this case. This is typical when you are creating connections through DL hubs. You can get around this by either booking a connection longer than 4 hours (to create a stopover and fare break) or book as separate tickets. As you can see below from EF, DL is very restrictive in the J fare buckets on the LAX-JFK flights when marrying segments with SLC-LAX flights. There is Z bucket availability on DL953 below when booked standalone, but as you can see below when married with SLC-LAX flights there is only J and C open.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole benefit of booking this as a single ticket is that in the event OP misconnects as the result of a matter within DL's control, DL will look likely look after his hotel. The other aspects of the multiple tickets, e.g. rebooking in IRROPS, are the same.

On the other hand, I agree adding 4 hours to a roughly 3-1/2 hour flight solely for D1 over F for part of the trip, especially on a red eye, is simply adding to your misery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.