Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I disagree. Re-read the quoted post. That poster titled his message "Exclusion of non Delta Flyers from Sky Clubs", and says that he has been flying Southwest half of the time and paying the $59 at BNA, JAX, SEA, PHL "Even when flying another airline". Then he goes on to say that "This new policy change means that the most economical method to access the clubs is to get the Delta Reserve card at a cost of $450, not the $550 or so now being charged for a solo membership."

My point was that the Reserve wont' help in light of "This new change" because the reserve has the same "Same day ticketed on Delta" restriction that a full club membership has. Neither is going to get you in the club with a Southwest ticket in your hand.
Hmm, you could be right, but my take on it was that OP flies a mix of DL and WN ("thus I am split 50-50 between both"), and until now justified buying a full SC membership because it afforded entry on OAL, but now that that advantage is gone they will save the extra $$ and use a Reserve card for continued access when flying DL.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I disagree. Re-read the quoted post. That poster titled his message "Exclusion of non Delta Flyers from Sky Clubs", and says that he has been flying Southwest half of the time and paying the $59 at BNA, JAX, SEA, PHL "Even when flying another airline". Then he goes on to say that "This new policy change means that the most economical method to access the clubs is to get the Delta Reserve card at a cost of $450, not the $550 or so now being charged for a solo membership."

My point was that the Reserve wont' help in light of "This new change" because the reserve has the same "Same day ticketed on Delta" restriction that a full club membership has. Neither is going to get you in the club with a Southwest ticket in your hand.
I think the point is it's cheaper to get reserve card then to pay for SC membership outright. Don't think that statement had to do with terms of access being different.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by manually
Maybe they are doing this to drive AMEX (Delta or Plat) membership and get a better kick back from AMEX than they would the revenue from a single pass purchaser
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
They are currently pushing the reserve HARD in the terminals and the SkyClub. Signage is in the club and even more so. Won't say specifically but anyone recently in the SkyClub would know.
Right. This has nothing to do with exclusivity or crowding and everything to do with credit cards. That Delta-Amex relationship is the driving force, anyone connecting to SkyClub wifi can realize that. They'll make more from that in a month than they'd get in a year of single day passes, especially if even a tiny percentage of those day pass guests apply for a card instead.

My complaints stem from the fact that the B SC at ATL is supposed to be the system's flagship SkyClub and it is, in nearly all facets, a disaster. Realistically though, I'm paying a few dollars per visit at most to access SkyClubs on an annual basis considering how much I fly and the value I get from my American Express Platinum annually so I'm not really in a position to complain.

SkyClubs are not a business class lounge, it is a place to hang out and grab a drink or two and a snack that isn't a hectic nightmare. I do wish they would dial down their advertising a bit, but most of us are bright enough to see through it and if Delta wants to make some money off of those who aren't, go for it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
What was the problem Delta was trying to solve?

A. Overcrowding
B. Cost cutting
C. Adjust to more profitable mix of members/guests, i.e., weed out some to make room for others
D. Another step in further segmenting passengers for make future changes to the overall Delta “experience”
E. Other

Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta
What was the problem Delta was trying to solve?

A. Overcrowding
B. Cost cutting
C. Adjust to more profitable mix of members/guests, i.e., weed out some to make room for others
D. Another step in further segmenting passengers for make future changes to the overall Delta “experience”
E. Other

We can all speculate, but unless DL actually tells us, we'll never know.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
SkyClubs are not a business class lounge, it is a place to hang out and grab a drink or two and a snack that isn't a hectic nightmare. I do wish they would dial down their advertising a bit, but most of us are bright enough to see through it and if Delta wants to make some money off of those who aren't, go for it.
Not a hectic nightmare? You must be at different SkyClubs than me

I got the Reserve card to help with upgrade chances - it's probably helped get me 5 or more C+ seats, and maybe even an F seat or two over the past year - which is worth the extra $250 on top of the Delta Plat card (and I'm generally able to use the companion pass so that's "free"). The SkyClub access is incidental. I probably wouldn't have done the SkyClub choice benefit even if I didn't have the Reserve card. I feel like the SkyClub is really only useful to those who have connecting flights.. and if I'm connecting, I'm not flying Delta. if you're at the SkyClub on an originating segment it just means you got to the airport too early.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not a hectic nightmare? You must be at different SkyClubs than me

I got the Reserve card to help with upgrade chances - it's probably helped get me 5 or more C+ seats, and maybe even an F seat or two over the past year - which is worth the extra $250 on top of the Delta Plat card (and I'm generally able to use the companion pass so that's "free"). The SkyClub access is incidental. I probably wouldn't have done the SkyClub choice benefit even if I didn't have the Reserve card. I feel like the SkyClub is really only useful to those who have connecting flights.. and if I'm connecting, I'm not flying Delta. if you're at the SkyClub on an originating segment it just means you got to the airport too early.
All my flights originate out of DTW and I rarely connect but like the benefit of the SC. There have been plenty of times my flights have been delayed and it's nice to hang out there over the gate and there have been a lot of times where changing my flight at the Skyclub has been a great skyclub benefit. Two weeks ago I had a severe delay in my ORD flight and the skyclub was able to get me to MDW an hour later
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As an aside, as I was entering the cubicle area, some minion intercepted me and told me his boss (the only occupant of the area) was engaged in an important conference call and asked if I would go someplace else.

I said no. I am so unworthy, but I enjoyed doing so.
LOL, love this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
To me this is a lot to do about nothing.

But I do occasionally use the KL or AF lounges in IAH on a domestic ticket; I suppose the SC membership was how I got in? But I can still get in with PP.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
To me this is a lot to do about nothing.

But I do occasionally use the KL or AF lounges in IAH on a domestic ticket; I suppose the SC membership was how I got in? But I can still get in with PP.
Both lounges are listed on the PP website (along with a couple of restaurants) at IAH. It's not entirely clear to me that the lounge attendants understand the entrance requirements. When I visited the AF lounge a couple months ago on a domestic flight, I went to pull out my SC membership card, but the attendant wanted to see my BP and whether or not I was in FC. I had been upgraded and that seemed to be good enough for her.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I Had a disconcerting experience at LGA Term D Sky Club on Friday 12/21 afternoon. Arrived at Club about 3pm.

AMEX CARD access restrictions.

Airport and of course the club was super crowded with all the weather related flight delays.

I was accessing sky club using my delta Amex Gold with $29 fee. The agent pointed to the sign that said no single pass visits due to capacity issues. He allowed me to enter with exception due to PM status but explained that the single visit pass restrictions does apply to some AMEX cards.

The agent had a 8x11 laminated flow chart that explained access. Essentially only AMEX PLAT and Reserve are exempt from capacity restrictions. I’m not sure if that is AMEX DELTA PLAT or AMEX PLAT not DL branded.

The club was very crowded—literally standing room only. But guests and staff were all friendly and accommodating trying to make the best of a busy travel delay with lots of weather delays.

All worked out for me (this time). But I am concerned about capacity restrictions with AMEX gold. I didn’t realize that applied to Delta Amex cards. UGH!!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by mridley2
The agent had a 8x11 laminated flow chart that explained access. Essentially only AMEX PLAT and Reserve are exempt from capacity restrictions. I’m not sure if that is AMEX DELTA PLAT or AMEX PLAT not DL branded.

But I am concerned about capacity restrictions with AMEX gold. I didn’t realize that applied to Delta Amex cards. UGH!!
He was referring to the unbranded AX Platinum and Delta AX Reserve, both of which carry ~$500 annual fees. The DLAX Platinum card does not grant free SC access and would suffer from the same access restrictions as your AX Gold card.

As to your last paragraph, it doesn’t apply to all Delta Amex cards, just all non-Reserve cards.

Personally, I don’t understand why anyone would go with anything other than either a Platinum or Reserve card. Once you factor in companion certificates, MQM boost, UG tie-breakers, MQD waivers, PWM, etc, I just can’t see the value in any other DL branded cards.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I added this in the SkyBonus thread but figured it was relevant here, too.

Ordered single visit SC passes a few weeks to use up some SB points expiring this year. Arrived a few days later as usual with a 12/31/2019 expiration date.

I believe this is still a redemption option on the SB page and will be curious to see if it stays after the new year, since the SB passes are supposed to be valid for a minimum of 1 year past ordering them (and the expiration dates are printed in a way that looks like they run them in big annual batches - I've always ordered a set sometime in Q4 and gotten the next-December expiration).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I added this in the SkyBonus thread but figured it was relevant here, too.

Ordered single visit SC passes a few weeks to use up some SB points expiring this year. Arrived a few days later as usual with a 12/31/2019 expiration date.

I believe this is still a redemption option on the SB page and will be curious to see if it stays after the new year, since the SB passes are supposed to be valid for a minimum of 1 year past ordering them (and the expiration dates are printed in a way that looks like they run them in big annual batches - I've always ordered a set sometime in Q4 and gotten the next-December expiration).
My guess is that those will stay untouched, and even if they do get axed, DL still has to honor existing ones.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
My guess is that those will stay untouched, and even if they do get axed, DL still has to honor existing ones.
Yeah, I know it shouldn't be a problem to use existing ones. I'm more curious about whether DL removes them as an option. I usually end up with enough expiring/leftover SB points each year to pick up a set to dole out to family/colleagues/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.