Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
The solution is J-only lounges. AA and UA have them. DL needs them too.
Perhaps. But as much as we can argue against the $600 number, it's also erroneous to counter that with a $6k or $15k number (for a J ticket or DM status).

I'd posit that when someone is paying thousands for a J ticket on DL, they're thinking far more about the seat they'll be flying in than whatever is on offer at the airport lounge. Certainly the lounge quality is going to be very, very low on my list of factors for the purchase decision. But that's just me.

Similarly for DM. People aren't paying $15k for SkyClub access. They're paying $15k for flights that get them to their destination in whatever class of service they've decided to purchase. In this case, I doubt there are DMs wandering around saying "I paid $15k for SkyClub access." Rather they're saying, "I paid $15k for DL tickets and now I get SkyClub for free." There is a very big difference in those two statements. When you buy a $500k house and the realtor sends you a fruit basket, you don't complain that you paid $500k for a fruit basket and are upset that it doesn't have the right kind of apples in it.

TL;DR - I agree with the sentiment that nobody is really paying that much just to be in a SC. If anything, the day pass folks ($29 or $59 version) are probably the people paying the most on a direct, per-visit basis, followed by the paid SC members. Everyone else is really just getting a freebie based off of something else of far more value that they have paid for.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Even if we accept the premise that J passengers are paying for the lounge, the reality is that the DL lounge is competitive. I mean, hot dogs are the best thing about the LH J lounges in FRA. KE lounges are glorified bus terminals. KL lounges are wildly overcrowded. Ditto for BA lounges, which complete the product with nonfunctioning outlets and TV dinner level food. JL outstation lounges can be worse than KE lounges, if that is possible.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
My main point is that the lounge should not be viewed as a stand alone experience that is fee for service. It is part of the air travel experience, and while there are various additional fees for access, it's not like the club would be profitable on it's own. It needs to be viewed part of the premium flying experience that DL customers can pay to have.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Maybe they are doing this to drive AMEX (Delta or Plat) membership and get a better kick back from AMEX than they would the revenue from a single pass purchaser
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JKennedyMD
The most damaging policy change to me is Delta’s requirement that one fly Delta as to access the Sky Club if one has a full membership. In my base of Nashville, Tennessee, Southwest’s extensive non-stop operations are more time-efficent and attractive then Delta’s requirements to go through their hubs, thus I am split 50-50 between both. I had been paying the full rate to access the club in Nashville and other cities (e.g. Jacksonville, Seattle, Philadelphia), even when flying another airline. This new policy change means that the most economical method to access the clubs is to get the Delta Reserve card at a cost of $450, not the $550 or so now being charged for a solo membership. With American Airlines also requiring that one fly American to access their clubs, it now make me wish that a vendor would open a private club in Nashville not affiliated with an airline. As an aside, I believe that Delta is now flexing their monopoly muscle as to extract for money from travelers, a benefit of their merger with Northwest and the consolidation of other airlines as well.
Reserve Card holders are subject to the same "day of flight" rules as the other access methods. The Sky Club Access page on delta.com says:

Delta Reserve Credit Card Members: Delta Reserver Credit Card Members have complimentary access to Delta Sky Club when traveling on a Delta marketed, Delta operated flight, or a Delta-marketed flight that is operated by WestJet and booked through Delta (WestJet tickets starting with the number 006). Delta Reserve Credit Card Members may enter the club with up to two guests for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per person.

Effective January 1, 2019:

Credit Card Members traveling on any other Delta partner airline flight (SkyTeam Member airline, Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic or Gol), can access the club for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per person.

Card Members can bring up to two guests or a spouse/domestic partner and children under 21 for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per person, provided the Card Member and their guests are traveling on a Delta partner airline.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My main point is that the lounge should not be viewed as a stand alone experience that is fee for service. It is part of the air travel experience, and while there are various additional fees for access, it's not like the club would be profitable on it's own. It needs to be viewed part of the premium flying experience that DL customers can pay to have.
Nothing in this announcement is at odds with that.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Reserve Card holders are subject to the same "day of flight" rules as the other access methods.
Right, I think that was the point.

i.e. they're not claiming that the Reserve is less restricted. It's that, the SC membership, which used to have more advantageous access rules, now has the same limitations as the Reserve. Since it no longer confers an advantage, no reason to prefer it if the same (limited) access can be had for a cheaper price (and with other ancillary benefits)
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Nothing in this announcement is at odds with that.

I was commenting on your suggestion that we think about the SC in terms of a $600 annual value, not the DL announcement.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manually
Maybe they are doing this to drive AMEX (Delta or Plat) membership and get a better kick back from AMEX than they would the revenue from a single pass purchaser
They are currently pushing the reserve HARD in the terminals and the SkyClub. Signage is in the club and even more so. Won't say specifically but anyone recently in the SkyClub would know.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I was commenting on your suggestion that we think about the SC in terms of a $600 annual value, not the DL announcement.
But that is the annual value! Actually, it is lower. Don’t believe me?

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action

Apologies for being overly generous on the pricing.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

But that is the annual value! Actually, it is lower. Don’t believe me?

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action

Apologies for being overly generous on the pricing.

I don't want to clutter up this thread by continuing to repeat myself. See my previous posts for why I don't agree that this is meaningful number.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

At some juncture Delta is going to need to up their game with the club. The flagship lounge has me flying american to the west coast especially since the sky club in t4 at Jfk is a horror show certain times of day. Ditto ba out of Boston puts the sky club to shame. And the club in the international terminal in Atl is embarrassing during peak hours. I wonder if this is a first step towards improvement of the clubs in general.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they could always go the KLM route and make their lounges over an acre in size like AMS lounge 52.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Or they can install parking garage style display counters outside the clubs and limit the number of people, instead of cramming them in like standing-room-only sardines.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by JKennedyMD
The most damaging policy change to me is Delta’s requirement that one fly Delta as to access the Sky Club if one has a full membership. In my base of Nashville, Tennessee, Southwest’s extensive non-stop operations are more time-efficent and attractive then Delta’s requirements to go through their hubs, thus I am split 50-50 between both. I had been paying the full rate to access the club in Nashville and other cities (e.g. Jacksonville, Seattle, Philadelphia), even when flying another airline. This new policy change means that the most economical method to access the clubs is to get the Delta Reserve card at a cost of $450, not the $550 or so now being charged for a solo membership. With American Airlines also requiring that one fly American to access their clubs, it now make me wish that a vendor would open a private club in Nashville not affiliated with an airline. As an aside, I believe that Delta is now flexing their monopoly muscle as to extract for money from travelers, a benefit of their merger with Northwest and the consolidation of other airlines as well.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Right, I think that was the point.

i.e. they're not claiming that the Reserve is less restricted. It's that, the SC membership, which used to have more advantageous access rules, now has the same limitations as the Reserve. Since it no longer confers an advantage, no reason to prefer it if the same (limited) access can be had for a cheaper price (and with other ancillary benefits)
I disagree. Re-read the quoted post. That poster titled his message "Exclusion of non Delta Flyers from Sky Clubs", and says that he has been flying Southwest half of the time and paying the $59 at BNA, JAX, SEA, PHL "Even when flying another airline". Then he goes on to say that "This new policy change means that the most economical method to access the clubs is to get the Delta Reserve card at a cost of $450, not the $550 or so now being charged for a solo membership."

My point was that the Reserve wont' help in light of "This new change" because the reserve has the same "Same day ticketed on Delta" restriction that a full club membership has. Neither is going to get you in the club with a Southwest ticket in your hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.