Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Were that many people really buying $50 one day passes? I would have thought that accounted for less than 1% of total people entering the "club"?
Well considering that I saw families with multiple kids, probably more than 1%, unless both parents had Amex cards.

If DL really wants a more exclusive experience, no children under 13.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
*edit* - Read again single visit guest is viable for 29 dollars in the article. The email sent says 'no guest passes'. They should have rephrased that.

Also it notes 'no access to KLM or Air France'. Does that include international access via STE+? And if that is still viable when would one have access to these lounges and now you do not?
I think maybe the DL.com website where this was posted was updated since OP. (https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sk...jb=77#clubnews)

The impact of this on Amex access (and guests of Amex cardholders) has been made quite clear:
Delta Reserve Credit Card Members from American Express
  • Card Members will continue to have complimentary access when traveling on a Delta flight or a Delta-marketed and Deltaticketed flight operated by WestJet.
  • Card Members traveling on other partner airlines can access the Club for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per visit.
  • Card Members can bring up to 2 guests for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per person, provided the Card Member and their guests are traveling on a Delta or partner airline.
Platinum and Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members from American Express
  • Card Members and up to two of their guests must be traveling on a Delta flight to access the Club for an exclusive per-visit $29 rate, per person.
Platinum and Centurion Card Members from American Express
  • Card Members will continue to have complimentary access when traveling on a Delta flight or a Delta-marketed and Deltaticketed flight operated by WestJet.
  • Card Members can bring up to 2 guests for an exclusive per-visit rate of $29 per person, provided their guests are traveling on a Delta flight.
But I am also curious what this does for the redemption option for SkyBonus. I frequently redeem SB for the SkyClub passes to give them to colleagues/clients/etc. Only other thing I've redeemed is the plain jane domestic Y ticket which is fine, but a bit of a hassle to gift away b/c I feel responsible for explaining how it works and needing to search for certain fare classes, etc.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Does this mean that, when they reduce the crowding, they will actually put back some of the work cubicles for the business travelers? (tongue in cheek)

The last time I was thru ATL, I sat in the cubicle area in the T club, in the dark, with no access to power... because they were preparing to rip out those cubicles.

As an aside, as I was entering the cubicle area, some minion intercepted me and told me his boss (the only occupant of the area) was engaged in an important conference call and asked if I would go someplace else.

I said no. I am so unworthy, but I enjoyed doing so.

And, BTW, DL is still marketing the Sky Club by touting access to partner lounges... even those this access ends in 6 weeks. Petty.

" We are proud to offer access to over 50 Delta Sky Club locations, in addition to partner and third-party business lounges worldwide. To see if you have access to one of these locations during your next trip, you must select a Membership or ticket type. "
If you read the entire statement this is not incorrect. This isn't a statement concerning a paid membership. It's a general statement about lounge access and even says you must select membership or ticket type. Only paid SC membership access is losing the benefit of getting into partner lounges.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by WWads

Well considering that I saw families with multiple kids, probably more than 1%, unless both parents had Amex cards.

If DL really wants a more exclusive experience, no children under 13.
But wouldn't the absence of aromas from soiled diapers , and the soothing sounds of screaming toddlers, diminish your club experience?
monitor and aroundtheworld76 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If I had to make a bet I would say the clubs will still be as crowded as they always have been in 2019.
PurdueFlyer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Also it notes 'no access to KLM or Air France'. Does that include international access via STE+? And if that is still viable when would one have access to these lounges and now you do not?
That is my biggest question and concern. and or will Delta open up more sky clubs overseas.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by troyintn
That is my biggest question and concern. and or will Delta open up more sky clubs overseas.
Nothing is changing in regards to J class tickets or STE+ access. The changes are for those that purchase an actual membership.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Does this mean that, when they reduce the crowding, they will actually put back some of the work cubicles for the business travelers? (tongue in cheek)
I am honestly surprised that they continue to rip these out because in a lot of clubs the cubicles are the most crowded area.

And, BTW, DL is still marketing the Sky Club by touting access to partner lounges... even those this access ends in 6 weeks. Petty.

" We are proud to offer access to over 50 Delta Sky Club locations, in addition to partner and third-party business lounges worldwide. To see if you have access to one of these locations during your next trip, you must select a Membership or ticket type. "
That page isn't specifically touting sky club membership so I'm not sure what the problem is. Membership has never gotten you access to third-party lounges. It's just Delta touting lounge access in general that you can get through them in a variety of methods. Partner lounge access will still be available through STE+ and J fares, so this seems fine.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pvn
I am honestly surprised that they continue to rip these out because in a lot of clubs the cubicles are the most crowded area.

That page isn't specifically touting sky club membership so I'm not sure what the problem is. Membership has never gotten you access to third-party lounges. It's just Delta touting lounge access in general that you can get through them in a variety of methods. Partner lounge access will still be available through STE+ and J fares, so this seems fine.
It has gotten you into AF/KL lounges, but that ends on Dec 31st.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, UAL, British, American
Lifetime SkyClub members

Those of us who bought lifetime memberships had access to AMS and other lounges, plus use of SkyClub when flying other metal.
How can Delta cut back on what we already paid for?
Seems to me lifetime members should still get what we paid for.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by troyintn
why would they? The number of paid club members flying internationally who are not STE+ or flying on paid J has to be incredibly small.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Those of us who bought lifetime memberships had access to AMS and other lounges, plus use of SkyClub when flying other metal.
How can Delta cut back on what we already paid for?
Seems to me lifetime members should still get what we paid for.

I'd be willing to bet that when you purchased the lifetime membership that there was some type of disclaimer that program benefits may be changed at any time.

I don't personally understand why anyone would purchase a SC membership at this point, unless you could not be approved for a credit card granting access. It seems to be that the Amex or Reserve both offer more for less.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL has likely done the metrics as well as looked at a lot of feedback.

This largely affects people who pay out of pocket for membership and are cost conscious. People who are reimbursed for membership or just chalk a price increase up to rising costs of many things, will simply continue on.

I suspect that FT is a very skewed sample of people who actually analyze and then act on these changes. The rest won't care and the revenue loss will be negligible.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect that FT is a very skewed sample of people who actually analyze and then act on these changes. The rest won't care and the revenue loss will be negligible.
This statement applies to 90% of the threads here.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL GM
As long as my Amex Platinum has $29 guest privledges still, I don’t mind. Then again, even if it didn’t, I would just make my wife an AU on my Plat for $175 since I probably pay that in guest fees anyway. That wouldn’t help us today though.

Were there really that many people who buy day passes? That seems insane to me. For the cost of a day pass you could get a great meal with a few drinks at a restaurant in just about any airport in the country. Then again, it stuns me that there are so many people who buy SC memberships. There is zero logical or financial point in doing so.

I look forward to absolutely zero change in the club crowding issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.