Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booked 2 tickets (1 $, 1 w SM) on same flight - what will happen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM

Hi,

I had an existing reservation on one flight, JFK-BRU in Y, and with the flash sale saw D1 available at good mileage and decided to book myself again on that flight (now with a return JFK-BRU-JFK).
I'll obviously need to cancel 1 of the seats, before the 72h mark, but I'm curious - will Delta's IT system spot this before and for some reason boot me off before the day of departure?

Is there something in the T&C that says I am not allowed to do this?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes, and yes. I would be surprised if both reservations survive even 48 hours after the second one is ticketed.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Haha, ok I'll move the award flight by 1 day, that should solve the problem, I hope...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:59 am

I did this and DL called me re which one I wanted to keep.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Ahhh, I did something similar to this last week. I was upgraded on one segment but it was obvious I was not going to be on the second longer segment. I had a seat in C+ 12A on the second segment and bought myself another in F in 3A with the help of the platinum desk and a miles/cash combo. I was pretty sure I broke the system because no one I talked to could see my F reservation I bought (but I could see the boarding pass on the app). It wasn't until I got to the airport (and after 15 min of confusion and keyboard typing) did the ticket agent figure things out. She couldn't print a boarding pass without completely unchecking and reissuing, etc. She said that it would be more bother than it was worth and to board with my original boarding passes and just show the new one on my phone at the connecting airport. When I scanned the boarding pass, it spit out the paper with my other seat in 12A. GA told me to just go to 3A and saw I had two seats. I assumed they moved some lucky person on the C+ upgrade list into 12A.

Last edited by charlesdemar; Nov 15, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by mayhem
Haha, ok I'll move the award flight by 1 day, that should solve the problem, I hope...
If you are planning to travel JFK-BRU using the award ticket and not use the JFK-BRU in Y, then the return BRU-JFK leg on that ticket will be canceled.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by blagger
If you are planning to travel JFK-BRU using the award ticket and not use the JFK-BRU in Y, then the return BRU-JFK leg on that ticket will be canceled.
Sounds like OP had a one way that was paid with money and a roundtrip with the flash sale.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mayhem
Hi,

I had an existing reservation on one flight, JFK-BRU in Y, and with the flash sale saw D1 available at good mileage and decided to book myself again on that flight (now with a return JFK-BRU-JFK).
I'll obviously need to cancel 1 of the seats, before the 72h mark, but I'm curious - will Delta's IT system spot this before and for some reason boot me off before the day of departure?

Is there something in the T&C that says I am not allowed to do this?

Thanks!
The miles ticket (if thats which you choose to cancel) does need to be done by 72h. However the paid ticket, you can cancel whenever (or just not fly). You will be liable for the cancelation fee however.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daloosh
Sounds like OP had a one way that was paid with money and a roundtrip with the flash sale.
Correct.
Now my ideal world plan is to keep the JFK BRU in Y that I paid for, refund the outbound award ticket, and keep the return award ticket at half the points and without paying extra taxes. That to myself seems very unlikely to work out (cancelling outbound, keeping return), but let's see.

I also have some uncertainty on where I need to be when, so it's kind of good to have tickets that I can cancel up to 72hrs prior.
The one way paid with money wasn't really a one way btw; it was a BRU-JFK-BRU that I had open from another trip so it will have almost no value remaining anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.