China Southern to leave Skyteam

Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WWads

HX would actually be a pretty nice pickup. They’re trying to expand and become more relevant to global travelers. A DL partnership might make sense.
HX is part of HNA. They don't want to be in Skyteam.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by BenA
It’s certainly possible that the conventional wisdom about CX is correct - it is conventional, after all. This’ll be a fun one to watch from the sidelines either way. If we hit 2020 and CZ is still unaffiliated - either with OneWorld or at least an AA JV - I’ll cheerfully buy you folks a beverage of your choice at a future do
I can almost guarantee there will not be a CZ-AA JV by 2020! since JVs are not possible between US and Chinese carriers due to the lack of Open Skies between the US and China...and there is hardly any movement currently towards achieving Open Skies between the two...

There will certainly be more extensive codeshares between AA and CZ especially out of the new Beijing airport (Daxing)-that’s really the whole point of AA’s CZ investment in the first place (and of course the ability to get more favorable slots for AA at PEK).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

I can almost guarantee there will not be a CZ-AA JV by 2020! since JVs are not possible between US and Chinese carriers due to the lack of Open Skies between the US and China...and there is hardly any movement currently towards achieving Open Skies between the two...

There will certainly be more extensive codeshares between AA and CZ especially out of the new Beijing airport (Daxing)-that’s really the whole point of AA’s CZ investment in the first place (and of course the ability to get more favorable slots for AA at PEK).
Fair point, although things can change quickly. I really enjoyed reading this analysis that goes into depth on the issue, and which cites US-Japan as an example for how quickly things can change if parties are motivated enough: https://centreforaviation.com/analys...ructure-340603

I do think DL is unlikely to push the issue now that the KE partnership fell into their lap, though, so it would fall on AA to make this happen if they really want it. And politics are, as always, complicated on both sides...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

AA and CZ are both moving from PEK to Daxing. I believe DL is as well. If Daxing works as advertised, it may well become a more useful airport than PEK. Basically, AA can start LAX, JFK, and ORD without serious competition. Meanwhile, CZ can add dozens of Chinese destinations.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where can you get on CZ that you can't go on MU? I don't think this leaves a gaping hole in Southern China for ST.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick

I expect CZ to cozy up with a few OW members for the near future, and try to become a defacto member, hoping CX looks towards *A. But it certainly isn't a done deal, and won't be for some time.
I can't envision CA or CX switching alliances because both benefit from dipping their toes in each.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by BenA
Huh. That article doesnt actually quote anyone saying Xiamen leaving. I mean, we all assume it's going to happen at some point if not immediately, but I wonder if it's just the author assuming it will happen because it's a CZ subisidary, or if it's actually sourced with a statement from a spokesperson. (I ask because Reuters specifically reached out to a Xiamen spokesperson and was explicitly told they're staying for the foreseeable future, so somebody here on one side or the other is confused..)
It's a badly written headline that is not true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.