FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Connection from Delta to China Airlines at NRT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1940594-connection-delta-china-airlines-nrt.html)

rrz518 Nov 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Connection from Delta to China Airlines at NRT

Hi all - I'm connecting tomorrow at NRT from a Delta flight to a China Airlines flight to Taipei. I need to ask a little advice please...

I see that Delta uses Terminal 1, and China Airlines uses Terminal 2. I see that I need to leave Terminal 1 and take a bus to Terminal 2; is there a walking option also?

Obviously if I leave T-1 and go out to a bus, I would need to go thru security again at T-2; is there any airside method to this connection?

Also, what can I expect in regards to Immigration for this kind of transfer?

Thanks so much,

RRZ518

BenA Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm

There is an airside transfer bus, so you will not need to clear Japanese immigration. See https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/con...nter_inter_t1/ for details.

maroonsocks Nov 14, 2018 1:32 pm

I did this exact connection last week, it's quite easy. You'll re-clear security in T1 - there will be plenty of signage for connecting flights. You can then head straight to the bus shuttle over to T2, which is only a few min away from where you'll be dropped into T1 after security. If everything is running on schedule, you should have plenty of time for a stop at the Sky Club in T1 (including a shower, the best part!) before heading over to the shuttle. Sky Club also has copies of the shuttle schedule.

I don't know if there is a walking option, so I'll leave that to another FTer to answer.

autologic Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I did this a few weeks ago. The bus only runs every 20 or 30 min if I remember correctly. As poster above mentioned, head to the T1 lounge for a shower and bus schedule.

If you’re doing the same in reverse, delta runs it’s own shuttle bus from T2 back to T1. This was not clear right away and the first couple of us were told we just missed the official shuttle and would have to wait 30 min. Then we saw a delta employee guiding people towards another gate where they had a shuttle bus waiting for us.

rrz518 Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Where is the Delta Skyclub located?

tearex Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by rrz518 (Post 30429853)
Thanks for the quick response. Where is the Delta Skyclub located?

Near Gate 22-25, can't really miss it (escalator in the middle of the satellite going up)

wlau Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm

If you have status, you can use China Airline's lounge in T2 but I don't think it has a shower... Food is better in Delta's own lounge in T1. I usually go to T2 immediately because of the bus ride and don't want to take a chance, so I usually use China's lounge when this happens.

ryandc99 Apr 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Anyone from a recent visit know if the China Airlines lounge has showers?

NOLAnwGOLD Apr 29, 2019 12:40 am

Of topic, but is this all one ticket or separately ticketed segments? I'm just curious since I go to TPE at least annually and rarely see CI code-shares. To get to TPE I usually get offered KAL flights which I'd prefer to to take if I can do CI.

hikouki Apr 29, 2019 3:05 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 31047161)
Anyone from a recent visit know if the China Airlines lounge has showers?

No, I did not notice any shower facility. And if there is one, it may have been "hidden" somewhere in the smelly toilet complex. Their NRT lounge is pretty basic: armchairs that don't recline, with pretty basic snack food (dim sum and scant noodles) - much like the Delta lounge at T1. Nothing compared to the flagship CX/ SQ/ JL lounges, so don't expect too much.

Their flagship lounge in TPE is pretty good though!

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 31047560)
Of topic, but is this all one ticket or separately ticketed segments? I'm just curious since I go to TPE at least annually and rarely see CI code-shares. To get to TPE I usually get offered KAL flights which I'd prefer to to take if I can do CI.

Flew DeltaOne SEA-NRT-TPE and back just this month, all DL flight numbers (NRT-TPE vv segment operated by CI).

I felt as if the two airlines do not cooperate! DL agents in SEA were clueless which lounge I was going to use in NRT. There was no CI or DL agent who met me at the gate on arrival at NRT, connecting onward to TPE (unlike on the return when a DL agent arranged for a special bus). I was directed by the information desk to find the JAL transit desk and from there the JAL ground agents called the CI staff to issue my lounge pass.

(Why is CI in T2, cutoff from the rest of SkyTeam?)

Next time, I might try flying Korean Air.

drakethecake Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 31047796)
No, I did not notice any shower facility. And if there is one, it may have been "hidden" somewhere in the smelly toilet complex. Their NRT lounge is pretty basic: armchairs that don't recline, with pretty basic snack food (dim sum and scant noodles) - much like the Delta lounge at T1. Nothing compared to the flagship CX/ SQ/ JL lounges, so don't expect too much.

Their flagship lounge in TPE is pretty good though!

Flew DeltaOne SEA-NRT-TPE and back just this month, all DL flight numbers (NRT-TPE vv segment operated by CI).

I felt as if the two airlines do not cooperate! DL agents in SEA were clueless which lounge I was going to use in NRT. There was no CI or DL agent who met me at the gate on arrival at NRT, connecting onward to TPE (unlike on the return when a DL agent arranged for a special bus). I was directed by the information desk to find the JAL transit desk and from there the JAL ground agents called the CI staff to issue my lounge pass.

(Why is CI in T2, cutoff from the rest of SkyTeam?)

Next time, I might try flying Korean Air.

the China Airlines and Delta Communication is a train wreak. i was flying with my mom in February DTW- Nrt -tpe and china airline changed plane from a330 to a350 and didn't tell Delta so my mom and two different seats and both airlines could not figure out which seat was correct and each airlines said to call the other. Best part was china airlines telling me was Delta had a plane that actually flew to TPE instead of it being a codeshare flight

ryandc99 Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 31047560)

Its one ticket with code shared DL flight numbers.

Its pretty easy to find- here is an example:
https://flights.app.goo.gl/kzZDK

wlau May 2, 2019 11:52 am

I am a regular on this route and what a mess. I've taken just about every combination of flights to TPE, via NRT/ICN/PVG. Ever since Delta pulled the NRT to TPE route, the transferring process has been a nightmare, even for a regular like me. Delta and China's communication has been incredibly poor, I can list a dozen things wrong.

SEA-NRT-TPE direction:
1) You will arrive in Terminal 1 on DL metal. You just need to clear airside arrival security and go downstairs to take a shuttle to Terminal 2. The shuttle gate area is often empty, so pay attention to the signs or you will miss it.
2) When you arrive at T2, you will need to take the escalator up. China Airlines' lounge is very hard to find - some of the signs from the ground floor upwards are wrong. It's next to American's lounge. I'd recommend using CI Lounge in T2 instead of DL Lounge in T1 because flight depart out of T2.
3) China occupy the the gates at the end of the Terminal, either gate 74 or 75, or occasionally at 94, which is the satellite gate and has a very long walk.

TPE-NRT-SEA direction (don't get me started with this one)
1) China Airlines is a mess, they change TPE departure terminal (from T1 to T2, or from T2 to T1) very last minute...all the time, so don't believe what's published on flight status sites. You should arrive early - airside train is very slow and station is far, so you will end up walking between the terminals. It's a sweating exercise consider how warm TPE is and the terminal is not well AC'ed compare to other airports.
2) China has lounges throughout T1 and T2, but DL/SkyTeam passengers can only use the regular (aka poor man lounge), but you should be able to find one that's within 10 min walk to/from the gate
3) Once arrive at NRT, clear airside transfer security and go downstairs to take the shuttle to T1.
4) Once at T1, you will need to go through secondary security check for US-bound flight - you don't go through this on NRT->TPE direction.
5) Use DL kiosk to print BP, CI's boarding pass dont get read well by DL scanner, plus the agents want to see "DOCS OK" comment on the DL-printed BP.
6) You are better off using DL's lounge (or KE's, but KE's is a bit far). Take the center escalator up to the lounge floor, which is occupied by DL. The gates are just directly below the lounge, which is the only good thing about this lounge.

For what it's worth, DL, KE and CI lounge food at NRT all suck - they are outstation lounges with bare minimum. DL lounge has shower but CI's do not.

MSPeconomist May 2, 2019 12:03 pm

It can take a surprisingly long time to do the airside transfer between T1 and T2. I really dislike the experience.

IIRC the last shuttle is fairly early, so if you have a late flight, be careful that you don't stay in T1 too long.

browan04 May 2, 2019 3:21 pm

I did this connection in January and it was a nightmare.
I booked HNL-NRT-TPE on DL. flew HNL-NRT on DL metal. When I checked in at HNL Delta wouldn’t give me the boarding pass for the NRT-TPE leg even though they were able to push my bags through to TPE, claiming it was because second leg was operated by CI I had to check-in separately in NRT. It made no sense. Also couldn’t get it on the app. Once I arrived in NRT, had to switch terminals, go through security, and find the transfer desk which was much more complicated than I could have imagined and it wasn’t even marked for CI but was done by JAL, then the transfer desk had to re-verify my passport and itinerary and still couldn’t get my boarding pass so they told me to go to the lounge and they would have it; and, once I got to the lounge they said no, it’s going to be at the gate but the gate wasn’t open yet. Then finally at the gate I was able to get my boarding pass and was able to fly to TPE.
It was anything but a smooth transit.