Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta (confirmed) adds 10 more A330-900NEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta (confirmed) adds 10 more A330-900NEO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Or both plane manufacturers could have really good products and airlines can pick the one that's right for them and the fanboys of a certain plane brand could accept that certain airlines may not pick their favorites. DL has made $17B since 2015, United $15B. They both are obviously making decent decisions right now.

Last edited by bergamini; Nov 14, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ethernal
LOL - what? I have no bone to pick in Airbus vs. Boeing
The poster you are replying to does. The Airbus hate is off-the-charts. Any mention of Airbus and he's frothing at the mouth. This A330 thread has already become about the 797... Don't bother feeding him, nothing good will come of it.
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kop84
Is anyone making money flying US to Asia right now? When one can get a a flight BOS to SIN leaving TOMORROW (11/15) for $1,037, and leaving Monday (11/19) for $793, I can't imagine a 787, A350, Soyuz Rocket, a hang glider, or any other machine capable of flight making the difference on profitability on TPAC routes right now.

And just to show that's not an outlier, I'm grabbing some random US cities and Asian cities leaving 11/19 and back 11/23

BDL/PVG - 1 stop - $602 on AC
PBI/BKK - 2 stops - $980 on UA/HK
MSY/MNL - 2 stops $1,208 on CX
MCI/KUL - 2 stops $1,124 DL/KE
LAX/DPS - 2 stops $456 MF
SFO/PEK - non stop - $514 UA
PDX/HAN - 2 stops $799 AA

I understand that this isn't the peak season to many of those destination and it's just one day, but it's pretty consistent that one can fly to much of Asia for not a lot.
Airlines may be able to make it up with ancillary fees or cargo, but to me at least I doubt the 787 is the key to TPAC success.
From the perspective of the DL/UA/AA, they need their JV's in Asia to work much more like their JV's in Europe. There is just too much TPAC capacity to have anyone make consistent money.
Yields are indeed trash out of LA to Asia, but MF is maybe the wrong airline to cite as the reason why. They offer normal fares on routes where they are competitive, and these crazy $500-ish deals on connecting itineraries that involve a double hop XMN-SZX or similar with an 18+ hour layover.

My willingness to be abused by SkyTeam airlines for miles is crazy high, and even I haven’t been able to bring myself to take advantage of one of these 38-hour-total trips. Maybe someday I’ll take advantage of the opportunity to see Xiamen, but these flights are timed so poorly they aren’t serious competition for connecting traffic - just south China O&D.

The rest of your examples stand, or course - just wanted to fall out this particular data point.
kop84, SoroSuub1 and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
An order of ten really isn't indicative of anything strategic. Well, maybe bargain-hunting. It's a type already on order. Delta has 150 widebodies, about 40 of which are more than 20 years old, and another ~45 hitting that mark within five years. These will have the range to do any DL U.S. hub to all of Europe, LAX/SEA to East Asia, and ATL/DTW/JFK to all of S America. DL has the free cash flow to pay for them outright. This is a measured, prudent choice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
An order of ten really isn't indicative of anything strategic. Well, maybe bargain-hunting. It's a type already on order. Delta has 150 widebodies, about 40 of which are more than 20 years old, and another ~45 hitting that mark within five years. These will have the range to do any DL U.S. hub to all of Europe, LAX/SEA to East Asia, and ATL/DTW/JFK to all of S America. DL has the free cash flow to pay for them outright. This is a measured, prudent choice.
Best post on this entertaining thread. Golf clap.
davedeboston likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Isn't Delta's strategy to get planes on the cheap?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I'm guessing Boeing has a pretty good idea of what the 797 will be since the engine manufacturers will need specs for their proposals. My guess is P&W isn't even a consideration with their current troubles. Boeing can't depend on them. GE may also want to be the exclusive engine provider if market forecast is unknown. If GE can scale up the LEAP then they can probably get the 797 underway quickly.
That still puts them years away from having anything close to a functioning 797.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
That still puts them years away from having anything close to a functioning 797.
Boeing is estimating an in service date of 2025. United is taking some former Hawaiian 767's as interim lift for that category. A very wise decision.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:56 pm

Sounds like DL will not be getting the last 10 A359's but changing their order on the A330-900 to 35 (10 more than originally ordered) from what was just stated with N830MH. Am I understanding what you said then?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
Sounds like DL will not be getting the last 10 A359's but changing their order on the A330-900 to 35 (10 more than originally ordered) from what was just stated with N830MH. Am I understanding what you said then?
Delta could be waiting for an increase in the A359's MTOW. Then they could order them to replace the 777.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Given that they literally don't have board approval to do even detailed design of the plane, commitments is a bit of a strong word.

Regarding the A380, it was a failure, no doubt about it. It was a plane built for a future that never took shape: slot restrictions were alleviated by secondary airports that shifted away volume, four engined planes were completely superseded by twin engine due to the economics of it, and point to point has become an increasing focus even in international routes.

Airbus is still trying to keep it alive in hopes of the slot restriction issue resurfacing enough to make it work on some routes, but I don't see it happening.
considering no one even has an engine for it and all three engine makers are struggling to figure out how to make current tech work

its a crazy word.

Of course the funny thing about it is that Rolls is probably the closest to being able to make a 797 engine with the UltraFan. This would cause readywhenyouare head's to spin.
Fly_Delta_Jets and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

Yields are indeed trash out of LA to Asia, but MF is maybe the wrong airline to cite as the reason why. They offer normal fares on routes where they are competitive, and these crazy $500-ish deals on connecting itineraries that involve a double hop XMN-SZX or similar with an 18+ hour layover.

My willingness to be abused by SkyTeam airlines for miles is crazy high, and even I haven’t been able to bring myself to take advantage of one of these 38-hour-total trips. Maybe someday I’ll take advantage of the opportunity to see Xiamen, but these flights are timed so poorly they aren’t serious competition for connecting traffic - just south China O&D.

The rest of your examples stand, or course - just wanted to fall out this particular data point.
I've noticed out of LA at least, if you travel on Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday you can get a one-stop on MF at XMN, and depending on your destination, arrive by the late morning/early afternoon with a not too long layover (2-4 hrs) and at the low $400's too. Most of the time though, you are right in MF's cheap fares involving the LAX-TAO-XMN-??? route which is non competitive for comparisons.
BenA likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Delta bought 10 Airbus A330neo?!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/airbu...--finance.html

Nice! Big fan of Airbus and this would be a good replacement for 757 and 767...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...30-900neo.html
wlau likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have merged wlau's thread into the prior thread.

3Cforme - Delta forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.