Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weather Advisory 11/15 - 11/18 - Northeast/MidAtlantic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Advisory 11/15 - 11/18 - Northeast/MidAtlantic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by slykens
No flexibility for those of us nearby, however. I'm booked out of SCE tomorrow afternoon and found inventory to move to the first flight of the day come open late tonight but they won't entertain it. Wonder if they'll pay for my hotel at DTW tomorrow night when I misconnect when we could have solved the problem ahead of time. Forecast is for 5" starting at 10a for us. Not much different than MDT.
How much snow did SCE receive?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
This is bad, current hold time for the DM desk 1h27min. No thank you. Can't imagine what the hold time for a pax without status is.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
How bad will the knock-on effect be, do people think?

I'm scheduled for AUS-JFK at 8AM tomorrow morning (DL 1972), it looks like the scheduled plane just left the gate a few hours late from DTW. Assuming all goes smoothly getting down here, I'm guessing I have a pretty good chance of all being well?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I got bitten badly. My flight was delayed by 2 hrs and then canceled at 2pm.
Miss my TATL connection in JFK, which is leaving on time. So it doesn't seem to be a problem on the ground at JFK, just with pile-up of planes.

All the Amtrak journeys that could get me to JFK on time were full, and I have to get an Amtrak tomorrow afternoon at an expense of $300 to make tomorrow's TATL flight (or leave DCA at 6am tomorrow which is the only non-full flight out of DC).

Should have taken the waiver when it was offered...
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I needed to position from DC to JFK tonight and decided several months ago to burn all my Amtrak points rather than fly. Turned out to be a great decision, even though it took forever (left work at 5pm, arrived at JFK at 10:45pm). Still got here 2 hours early to make my MU flight.

Why spend $300 if you could get on the 6am flight? You'd have the whole day in NYC. I'm sure you'd rather be in Europe but to me the train isn't worth $300.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Exclamation New York City Area Weather Waiver (Extension)

Due to possible knock-on effects and gusty winds tomorrow, the waiver has just been extended for NYC area airports.

Date of Impacted Travel: November 16, 2018

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • New York – Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York - LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • Newburgh, NY (SWF)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...y-area-weather
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by kipper
How much snow did SCE receive?
There was about nine inches when I left about 9p last night. Drove to MDT for the 0600 departure. Roads were tough until I got south of Lewistown then it opened up pretty nicely. Made the trip in little over two hours versus an hour and a half in normal conditions.

Still pretty hot with DL about the situation.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:07 am

There was about nine inches when I left about 9p last night. Drove to MDT for the 0600 departure. Roads were tough until I got south of Lewistown then it opened up pretty nicely. Made the trip in little over two hours versus an hour and a half in normal conditions.

Still pretty hot with DL about the situation.
Roads south of MDT were horrible through rush hour.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:24 am

I have a connection through JFK today, I wonder if I will be affected! Looking at the weather late evening today seems to have winds of only 18/17 mph and clear skies. Hoping it stays that way.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Roads south of MDT were horrible through rush hour.
When I checked in at my hotel the clerk mentioned an accident in Shrewsbury (!) had traffic backed up to Harrisburg. When I came through Waze had me off at exit 43 then right back on at 41 but I only had a couple of miles left in 10-15 mph traffic. When I got back on 83 a state trooper had just started up southbound 83 going against traffic so I suspect it was just one long string of incidents.

I was fortunate as the roads were mostly just wet in spite of some heavy mixed precip at times. Temperature was 33-34 and cleared the ice and snow remaining off my car before I got to my hotel.

I hope anyone involved made it out safely. Certainly my displeasure and hassles with DL over the last 36 hours pale when viewed in that light.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I needed to position from DC to JFK tonight and decided several months ago to burn all my Amtrak points rather than fly. Turned out to be a great decision, even though it took forever (left work at 5pm, arrived at JFK at 10:45pm). Still got here 2 hours early to make my MU flight.

Why spend $300 if you could get on the 6am flight? You'd have the whole day in NYC. I'm sure you'd rather be in Europe but to me the train isn't worth $300.
I thought about it for about 5 minutes... Honestly my time is more important than money (at least at the $300 level!) at this point and I can get a lot done here in DC before my train. Plus I'm absolutely exhausted and really wanted a good night's sleep ahead of a TATL in steerage - not even C+!

Good decision you made on the train! I could actually have made my TATL by taking the one non-full train last night because the TATL was 5 hours delayed. I'm kicking myself a bit over that one, but with the 5 hours delay I would have missed my appointment on arrival anyway. This way I have rescheduled comfortably for Monday.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by manacit
How bad will the knock-on effect be, do people think?

I'm scheduled for AUS-JFK at 8AM tomorrow morning (DL 1972), it looks like the scheduled plane just left the gate a few hours late from DTW. Assuming all goes smoothly getting down here, I'm guessing I have a pretty good chance of all being well?
To answer my question - flight cancelled, rebooked AUS-MSP-JFK *tomorrow*. 30 minute hold time on the diamond line and no way to even try to change things around online.

sigh
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by manacit
To answer my question - flight cancelled, rebooked AUS-MSP-JFK *tomorrow*. 30 minute hold time on the diamond line and no way to even try to change things around online.

sigh
Twitter is replying very quickly. Or you could call the Singapore line.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:55 am

When I checked in at my hotel the clerk mentioned an accident in Shrewsbury (!) had traffic backed up to Harrisburg. When I came through Waze had me off at exit 43 then right back on at 41 but I only had a couple of miles left in 10-15 mph traffic. When I got back on 83 a state trooper had just started up southbound 83 going against traffic so I suspect it was just one long string of incidents.

I was fortunate as the roads were mostly just wet in spite of some heavy mixed precip at times. Temperature was 33-34 and cleared the ice and snow remaining off my car before I got to my hotel.

I hope anyone involved made it out safely. Certainly my displeasure and hassles with DL over the last 36 hours pale when viewed in that light.
It was bad. I stayed in Philadelphia instead of trying to take Amtrak back. Hearing stories from others on this morning's train, it's good I did, as they canceled many of the trains last night. I would've needed to detour on the way home, as they had 83 North closed from exit 28 (my exit) to exit 40 or some such. Mr. Kipper's commute home was rough, and he took primarily non-interstate. Friends reported that they were stuck in traffic for 4-5 hours on 83 South.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Twitter is replying very quickly. Or you could call the Singapore line.
Twitter took a hair under 30 minutes as well.

Ultimately, booked AUS-ATL-HPN arriving about 8 hours after originally scheduled, which is better than the 36 hours. I wish I had been more awake at 4 AM when I read the text so I could have called in, but life is life.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
This is bad, current hold time for the DM desk 1h27min. No thank you. Can't imagine what the hold time for a pax without status is.
For once the 360 status was very beneficial - 2min hold around 8pm ET yday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.