Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weather Advisory 11/15 - 11/18 - Northeast/MidAtlantic

Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM

Debating leaving early....

Covers:Baltimore, MD (BWI)<br>
Boston, MA (BOS)<br>
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)<br>
Hartford, CT ( BDL)<br>
New York - Kennedy, NY (JFK)<br>
New York - LaGuardia, NY ( LGA)<br>
Newark, NJ ( EWR)<br>
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)<br>
Providence, RI (PVD)<br>
Scranton, PA (AVP)<br>
Stewart, NY (SWF)<br>
Washington Reagan, DC (DCA)<br>
Washington Dulles, DC (IAD)<br>
White Plains, NY (HPN)<

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:22 am Reason: add link and detail
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
They are calling for anything from 2-6 inches near Harrisburg. They aren't sure though, so it may change quickly.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
To be clear the only day covered by the waiver is tomorrow. I have a 7am JFK-LAX on Friday and they wont let me change-despite 40MPH winds and rain forecast.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Good timing from the weather - DL let me change from a one-stop TATL to a nonstop out of BOS. Here's hoping I can squeeze out before the storms arrive on Thursday.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Shouldn't be any impact from snow in BOS on Thurs since the storm starts later and is changed back to rain Fri morning. Worst case the first banks of flights out Fri will have to de-ice from anything that stuck overnight.
Question will be how wind impacts the airports, especially JFK airspace.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I am flying out of BOS tomorrow morning. I don't think there's supposed to be anything going on in New England tomorrow according to the forecasts. Maybe in the evening only.

Last edited by demkr; Nov 14, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I have a 3PM flight LGA-ATL connecting to EZE; was surprised by the waiver because the forecast looks fine. On the theory that Delta might know something I don’t, I’m slightly inclined to look at rebooking to an earlier flight to ATL, but reluctant to give up the excellent seats we currently have. Will likely just roll the dice and stay pat.

Last edited by acrophobia; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
I love weather waivers. They’re like Power Pellets in Pac Man, I can turn the tables and eat all the ghosts that normally kill me all year with their $200 change fees and lack of SDC fare bucket availability.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:57 pm

No flexibility for those of us nearby, however. I'm booked out of SCE tomorrow afternoon and found inventory to move to the first flight of the day come open late tonight but they won't entertain it. Wonder if they'll pay for my hotel at DTW tomorrow night when I misconnect when we could have solved the problem ahead of time. Forecast is for 5" starting at 10a for us. Not much different than MDT.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by slykens
No flexibility for those of us nearby, however. I'm booked out of SCE tomorrow afternoon and found inventory to move to the first flight of the day come open late tonight but they won't entertain it. Wonder if they'll pay for my hotel at DTW tomorrow night when I misconnect when we could have solved the problem ahead of time. Forecast is for 5" starting at 10a for us. Not much different than MDT.
I would HUCA if I were you.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I noticed all the DC-NYC flights were cancelled this afternoon and evening. Anyone at JFK now? How bad is it?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I am in Midtown Manhattan and it started snowing heavily around 1 pm and the predicted shift from snow to rain will not happen until about 8 pm.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
I would HUCA if I were you.
I’m of the opinion I shouldn’t have to do that and will just move my business to another company instead.

So here we are today and much to DL’s surprise it’s snowing here in SCE and my flight has been delayed. In addition, I’ve been removed from the upgrade lists for F and C+ since last night for my connection. I know I should not assume malevolence when incompetence is a fine excuse but this has all the trappings of a constructive feedback letter once it plays out. :/
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I noticed all the DC-NYC flights were cancelled this afternoon and evening. Anyone at JFK now? How bad is it?
I got bitten badly. My flight was delayed by 2 hrs and then canceled at 2pm.
Miss my TATL connection in JFK, which is leaving on time. So it doesn't seem to be a problem on the ground at JFK, just with pile-up of planes.

All the Amtrak journeys that could get me to JFK on time were full, and I have to get an Amtrak tomorrow afternoon at an expense of $300 to make tomorrow's TATL flight (or leave DCA at 6am tomorrow which is the only non-full flight out of DC).

Should have taken the waiver when it was offered...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:25 pm

In a further unexpected and wholly surprising update, my flight has cancelled. I was assured everything would be fine when I called last night and mentioned this exact possibility! (heavy sarcasm)

When DL finally got around to calling me to tell me about it, the automated lady read off the information then told me the flight "was cancelled due to <busy signal>."

I'm trying to figure out how I've tolerated this unadulterated incompetence for 50 flights this year but concluded that their incompetence only managed to screw up one out of those fifty. (A CRJ flight oversold by eight that was due to depart to 0600 but they didn't make *any* announcement about until 0545 - this led to a misconnect and missing a meeting on the west coast)

So now some poor phone agent is going to get a healthy heaping of snark whilst we chat about lack of inventory on any carrier within 100 miles for the next few days. Ugh. I should ask for compensation for my wasted time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.