Status Buy Back?

Old Nov 13, 18, 2:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 544
Status Buy Back?

Does DL ever offer end of year status buyback like AA? Currently, I am PLT. I would like to retain my status for 2019 as I move more travel over to DL.
CityFlyerNYC is offline  
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:17 pm
  #2  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC View Post
Does DL ever offer end of year status buyback like AA? Currently, I am PLT. I would like to retain my status for 2019 as I move more travel over to DL.
Yes they do. They just wait to activate until later in the year than AA does. DL's buy-up promo generally does not go active until around December 1. Generally speaking, you won't be eligible for an offer unless you are within 10K MQM's of the next level. Expect it to be considerably more expensive than a mileage run (particularly to buy-up to Plat and Diamond).

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ur-status.html
LBJ is offline  
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,939
They wanted to charge me 1000 dollars last year to go from no body to silver.
HWGeeks is online now  
Old Nov 13, 18, 3:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN. US
Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
They wanted to charge me 1000 dollars last year to go from no body to silver.
I think $1000 is a great rate to get a body out of it, well I guess it depends on the body. 😉
TheHorta, SoroSuub1 and nichelle like this.
puck021 is offline  
Old Nov 13, 18, 4:18 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,939
Originally Posted by puck021 View Post

I think $1000 is a great rate to get a body out of it, well I guess it depends on the body. 😉
Ain't nobody without a body!
TheHorta likes this.
HWGeeks is online now  
Old Nov 13, 18, 6:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BOS
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 299
I just checked my email. DL offered me:7,500 MQMs + 12 MQSs + $1,595 MQDsfor $1,595

This would have gotten me to PM for 2018. I didn't opt to take it.

EDIT: This was my offer in 2017 for 2018. I haven't received an offer in 2018 yet.

Last edited by yaychemistry; Nov 14, 18 at 9:09 am Reason: clarification
yaychemistry is offline  
Old Nov 14, 18, 8:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
Originally Posted by yaychemistry View Post
I just checked my email. DL offered me:7,500 MQMs + 12 MQSs + $1,595 MQDsfor $1,595

This would have gotten me to PM for 2018. I didn't opt to take it.
For $1 less than that I am doing a mileage run/short visit to Tokyo, flying MSP-HND in PS. I’ll earn 17,946 MQM, which will requalify me at PM with about 5K rollover. I explored circuitous trips to Europe (e.g., MSP-ATL-AMS-LUX and return) and flying around the US to get to ANC or HNL but they didn’t earn as much and were a lot more hassle. There are better deals, in terms of cost per MQM, to SIN but I plan a longer trip there next year.

First goal for 2019: about 8K MQM to reach 1MM!
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Nov 14, 18, 10:18 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 11,543
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post


For $1 less than that I am doing a mileage run/short visit to Tokyo, flying MSP-HND in PS. Iíll earn 17,946 MQM, which will requalify me at PM with about 5K rollover.
Same. For ~$400, I will see PVG, HKG and requalify.
CarmenOM likes this.
tkey75 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: