Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best fare to fly from the bay area to anywhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I need 2 more round trips to achieve delta gold and I am wondering where the cheapest destination would be for the bay area. SFO/SJC/OAK all work. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Probably meant for the DL mileage run request, but if you are looking for just segments then LA area is usually cheapest...if you need miles then depends on how many miles you need
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

need segments but do not want to go to LAX unfortunately (too many times xd)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:10 am

use the Explore Destinations feature in Google Flights. Enter your dates of travel and limit the results to Delta. Generally SEA and LAS are cheap. You might fly SFO-SLC-LAS and back.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am doing the fly seamlessly task. Does it count to 4 segments if I do A-B-C-B-A?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by AW123
Does it count to 4 segments if I do A-B-C-B-A?
Yes, as long as no two flights in a row use the same flight number.

For example if A-B and B-C are both flight 1234, then the A-B-C trip is considered a single segment.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

but are they counting for a single flight (A-B) or an itinerary as one segment? It seems that their wording on this promotion is vague.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but are they counting for a single flight (A-B) or an itinerary as one segment? It seems that their wording on this promotion is vague.
So you are in some sort of status fast track promotion? What is the specific wording in the promo? Often they will require a certain number of one-way's or roundtrip's instead of individual segments which count towards MQS for qualifying the normal way.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I need 2 more round trips to achieve delta gold and I am wondering where the cheapest destination would be for the bay area. SFO/SJC/OAK all work. Any suggestions?
LAX hops are pretty cheap.
SEA and/or some of the cities served by DL out of SEA so you could do SFO-SEA-XXX-SEA-SFO.
Another option is SAN as you could do SFO-LAX-SAN-LAX-SFO and get your 4 segments quickly.

You can also go to Google flights and put in SFO/SJC/OAK and leave the destination blank, just put in a date and see what pops up as cheapest and look for a city you know would require a connection to get there and back.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Sjc-slc-boi-sea-sjc some dates in dec for $164 returning the same day
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Sevastras found the answer here. More generally, if you're going for segments, look from SJC. You'll typically find flights priced to compete with WN and AS to places like MFR, GEG, or PDX. These flights will have a connection, giving you four segments at <$50/segment. If you're looking for $/mile, I've found flights to UA hubs out of SFO to be very competitively priced. Try to get the typical 1x/day 764 to JFK -- with 40 D1 seats, good chance of an upgrade!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by gDolan
Try to get the typical 1x/day 764 to JFK -- with 40 D1 seats, good chance of an upgrade!
Chance of upgrade to C+ I assume? There's no way an FO is getting a D1 upgrade SFO->JFK. Maybe if they're flying Christmas day there is a chance.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sevastras
Sjc-slc-boi-sea-sjc some dates in dec for $164 returning the same day
OP indicates he requires two roundtrips and it's part of a promo (not normal segment qualification). So this would only count towards one roundtrip, (or two one-way's). I would definitely not rely on this meeting the promo requirements and suggest OP schedule two roundtrip's on non-stop routes to be safe.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. It is this offer https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/05/...tober-31-2018/

Do I need segments or trips? I am not sure but I would guess A-B-C-B-A only counts for a round-trip or two single?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How hard it is to get an upgrade to NYC area with a silver status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.