Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Is this normal for DL hubs? I mentioned in post #53 that it is not the case in my lonely PNS outstation with only two lanes. Just curious.
Every time I've been late to board I see Zone 1 going through the SKY lane.

I looked it up online and I do not see any explicit guidance on this on the Delta site, but it seems to me to be the standard. It is possible that different airports follow different procedures.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ethernal
Every time I've been late to board I see Zone 1 going through the SKY lane.

I looked it up online and I do not see any explicit guidance on this on the Delta site, but it seems to me to be the standard. It is possible that different airports follow different procedures.
+1

Definitely the case at the hubs IME, and it seems to be SOP most places I go on DL in the US48. In fact I've never seen Zone 1 NOT use the SP lane that I can remember. (Not saying it doesn't happen differently some places, I've just never seen it.)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're always absolutely free to board together when your wife's zone is called. She didn't earn DM/PM and therefore she isn't entitled to board with those groups unless she has a premium cabin seat.
Like I said, I always ask, and if they say no, that's what I do. It's only ever come up twice.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
When my wife was merely Gold or Platinum, she always boarded with me, and no one ever said a thing (and I’d give her my seat). Now that she’s also a DM (and we’re both usually flying F together) it’s no longer an issue.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Is this normal for DL hubs? I mentioned in post #53 that it is not the case in my lonely PNS outstation with only two lanes. Just curious.

Originally Posted by gooselee
+1

Definitely the case at the hubs IME, and it seems to be SOP most places I go on DL in the US48. In fact I've never seen Zone 1 NOT use the SP lane that I can remember. (Not saying it doesn't happen differently some places, I've just never seen it.)

The most recent time that I boarded late at SFO, Zone 1 was using general boarding and I walked directly to the front through the SP lane, waited there for a few seconds until the agent noticed me and then waved me over to board. When they very first rolled out Sky Priority boarding they used to advertise that SP pax were able to board at any time during the boarding process, though I don't see them saying this specific thing anymore.

Also, in my experience, Zone 1 members line up at the general boarding line to be first after SP.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
According to AA's website, their order is
  1. CK
  2. Group 1 (First Class)
  3. Group 2 (ExecPlat)
  4. Group 3 (PlatPro, Plat)
  5. Group 4(Gold, Prem Econ)
  6. Group 5 (MCE, Credit Cards)
  7. Group 6
  8. Group 7
  9. Group 8 (Basic Econ to EU)
  10. Group 9 (Basic Econ domestic)
They say that preboarders can request early boarding at the gate, but don't specify where in the order that occurs. I have heard anecdotally that it is between CK and Group 1, but I don't know that for sure.
It isn't consistent -- sometimes preboards are done before CK, sometimes after. At certain airports (e.g., DCA) it's more likely preboards are after CK, but it varies based on a lot of factors, including the specific GA and whether a CK rep is at the gate. I think it generally makes sense to let CK on first, because unless those pax move slowly or take a long time to stow their bags, they should be on and seated before the preboards even make it down the jetbridge (UM being an exception).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The most recent time that I boarded late at SFO, Zone 1 was using general boarding and I walked directly to the front through the SP lane, waited there for a few seconds until the agent noticed me and then waved me over to board. When they very first rolled out Sky Priority boarding they used to advertise that SP pax were able to board at any time during the boarding process, though I don't see them saying this specific thing anymore.

Also, in my experience, Zone 1 members line up at the general boarding line to be first after SP.
Not saying you're wrong, that just hasn't been my experience (and I haven't been through SFO recently). I would love if what you describe was the consistent standard at all airports.
jdrtravel and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.