Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ikwia
I happen to like this system on AA (admittedly, it works particularly well for me, but even aside from that, it seems fair and reasonable).

The worst system imho is on UA, where Premier 1K get to pre-board (and that's often quite a few people) and then FC is in the same group as Platinum and Gold. So if you are in FC and aren't at the gate to line up well ahead of time, you're in for a lengthy wait to board (at least given the elite loads on the flights I've taken recently).
I don't know, I'm quite partial the new UA system. It really speeds up boarding, especially on elite heavy flights. Mixing F and main cabin boarding is ideal from a total boarding speed perspective. Boarding 1K first is just icing on the cake since most flights will have a smattering of those in F and Y as well.

There's a reason United boards most narrowbodies T-30 instead of Delta's ridiculous T-40.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by AntonS
I never understood why you need special boarding groups like Sky, First class, etc when you can just assign boarding zones/group numbers accordingly. For example:

Group 1: First class, DM, PM
Group 2: Gold, silver, Amex
Group 3: .....
Group 4: .....

Depending on aircraft and number of elites, boarding groups can be assigned differently.
I believe there is exactly one reason, and that is to sell credit cards / C+ seats with the 'Board with Zone 1' benefit. Sounds a lot better than Zone 3.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:37 pm

Gosh, is boarding order really that big of a deal in life?

For me, I am not too eager to get on board and sit in a crappy seat - even in Business class.

Sometimes I will purposely get on last and just hand my carry on to the attendant - to 'attend' to it.

And on Southwest and other airlines without assigned seating I never get on first. I prefer to choose who I sit next to rather than the take a chance with the 'smelly person lottery.'
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Sometimes I will purposely get on last and just hand my carry on to the attendant - to 'attend' to it.
are u able to find it later when you de-board from your seat 23b ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Not sure why this post was moved here? Seems not relevant to this conversation at all.
it's not relevant enough on its own to deserve a standalone thread, it needed to be merged in somewhere, this is as good as any other place.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Unless I am traveling with a carry on suitcase (I almost always check my bag), I will wait in the lounge as long as possible and board at the end. I don’t care to be on the plane any longer than I have to. If I am traveling with a suitcase and need the OH space, then I will board with Sky/Prem depending if I’ve been upgraded or not. That said, I think Sky would be a lot better if it were just Plats, Golds and STE+ and C+ pax without status boarded after. Adding C+ to Sky on top of PM, GM and STE+ makes it an absolute zoo. It’s really my only complaint with DL.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
Unless I am traveling with a carry on suitcase (I almost always check my bag), I will wait in the lounge as long as possible and board at the end. I don’t care to be on the plane any longer than I have to. If I am traveling with a suitcase and need the OH space, then I will board with Sky/Prem depending if I’ve been upgraded or not. That said, I think Sky would be a lot better if it were just Plats, Golds and STE+ and C+ pax without status boarded after. Adding C+ to Sky on top of PM, GM and STE+ makes it an absolute zoo. It’s really my only complaint with DL.
C+ is such a small group in the grand scheme of things , I doubt it adds to a zoo like atmosphere. The zone poaching is all too real at DL though.

What I absolutely hate is the hand holding of the zone placards in Asia, without any discernable order except "this looks like a good spot". Always a pain in the butt to find my spot which is usually PREM or SKY, but I have to climb on top of folks to find it.

As an aside , I get panic attacks if I'm sitting on the tarmac and the air isn't flowing in a hot environ. On one trip I had the brilliant idea to just forfiet my C+ sky zone and board last. Except I got stuck 2nd to last in the tunnel with zero air flow, and the line at a complete standstill. Is this what goes on in zones 2/3.. Suffice to say, I always board with an ice cold bottle of water. Bringing up the rear ain't fun.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ethernal
Are you saying Zone 1 is not supposed to board through the Priority lane? They are obviously supposed to wait till they are called, but they are asked to use the Priority lane (assuming no pillars). Or at least that used to be the case. Delta still considers Zone 1 to be priority (you will never be Zone 1 if you are in Main Cabin and do not have something else - Silver status, partner status, credit card, etc). As I mentioned in my post, it seems a little silly to call "Zone 1" priority when over half the plane has already boarded before Zone 1 even starts, but that's besides the point.

I'm not talking about boarding order here, I'm talking about general gate crowding.
Here in PNS there are no pillars. Only to lanes "PREM/Sky Priority(left) and General Boarding(right)" As soon as the last Sky Priority customer is thru that lane it is roped off and then Group 1 and the rest goes thru the General Boarding lane.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Here in PNS there are no pillars. Only to lanes "PREM/Sky Priority(left) and General Boarding(right)" As soon as the last Sky Priority customer is thru that lane it is roped off and then Group 1 and the rest goes thru the General Boarding lane.
Roping off the SP lane is lame and shouldn't be part of Delta's policies. Late, but priority, boarding is a nice perk of elite status (especially when you have lounge access).
On the flip side, in PHX last Monday they never opened the general boarding side, everyone just kept flowing through the SP lane. Which did cut down on gate lice, but isn't the spirit of the two-lane system.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by jj243
Until Delta actually enforces the rules, this is all moot anyway. It would be much easier if the system simply refuses boarding passes when passengers try to board out of turn. It would eliminate the awkwardness the agent must feel asking people to step aside to wait for the proper zone. And once that is obvious, people will self regulate for fear of certain embarrassment- since the machine won't look the other way.
This! I'm fine with the boarding order as it's presently done, but please, Delta, enforce the boarding zones! Most people scan their own phones so the GA never even sees it. It's just way too easy to board whenever you want, and a number of people seem to take advantage of that.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by gypsycsc
This! I'm fine with the boarding order as it's presently done, but please, Delta, enforce the boarding zones! Most people scan their own phones so the GA never even sees it. It's just way too easy to board whenever you want, and a number of people seem to take advantage of that.
It would be cool if the BP scanner was tied into the zones, and would deny anyone who isn't eligible yet. Bonus: If you cheat, you are downgraded to Zone 4.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
When I have arrived at the gate after Zone 1 has started (almost always due to a ridiculously short connection - I'm looking at YOU, DTW!), I have always just stepped into the Priority lane and waited quietly at the rope. In every case I can remember, the agent finished with the person they were scanning and then came over & let me through the barricade, taking me next.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
What I absolutely hate is the hand holding of the zone placards in Asia, without any discernable order except "this looks like a good spot". Always a pain in the butt to find my spot which is usually PREM or SKY, but I have to climb on top of folks to find it.
Interesting, I haven't done a ton of TPAC but that's not my experience at NRT/HKG. While they don't have stanchions or clearly-delinated holding pens, IME the sign holders and other employees walking the gate area are really good about shepherding people into the appropriate line and very approachable if you are unsure.

If you had said JFK, I would have agreed They tell people D1/SKY on one side and everyone else on the other but within those two groups it's still somewhat undifferentiated mess.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Gig103
It would be cool if the BP scanner was tied into the zones, and would deny anyone who isn't eligible yet. Bonus: If you cheat, you are downgraded to Zone 4.
The one thing I dislike about this is that I have status (typically PM, but just hit DM for the first time) and my wife doesn't, and when we travel together (which isn't common), we prefer to board together. Granted, we're usually on the same PNR but occasionally we are not, and I like being free to ask if she can board with me.
I do ask in advance, though, and have never been told it's a problem.

The most, shall we say, "interesting" boarding experience I had was on Emirates out of DXB. Emirates boards by letter: A, B, C...
Anyway, they had done the pre-board and were doing group A and there was a not-small number of travelers who rushed the gate to board, who were turned away because they were not the correct zone. One couple insisted on arguing with the gate agent, but she stood firm. Then she called group B and the whole scene played out again (I think the couple was group E). By the time my group got called, this couple was staring daggers at everyone who was allowed to board before they were.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
I like it better than what we have at a lot of airports here, where as soon as the gate agent announces that preboarding will begin in 2 minutes, all the zone 2/3 pax bum rush the gate so it's impossible to get through when your zone is called. And I've got really mixed feelings about each zone getting its own cattle chute at places like ATL, since it doesn't so much relieve congestion as create a different form of it (especially when SKY is basically right up against trash cans.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.