Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where can I purchase the desert wine from the current selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

I recently flew from FUK-HNL in DeltaOne and tried the delicious De Bortoli Vat 5 Botrytis Semillon, Australia 2016
desert wine. Is there a central site DL has where I can purchase? The French Pinot was also very good too.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you a U.S. resident? Alcohol purchase laws vary by state. You may be required to buy it from a distributor or directly from the vineyard. Google it, and see if you find a seller willing to ship to your state.
trust77 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ask your local wine store if they can order it for you. They should be able to check availability and price (no discounts or sale prices normally on special orders) on line very quickly and see whether one of their distributors has the wine in stock or can order it.

Depending on state laws, you might be able to order it from the winery (complicated as it's foreign) or a wine retailer located in another state, but this could be more complicated.
trust77 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Can’t help with the wine, but discovering there is an airport code of FUK just made my day.

Yeah... I’m an infant.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
De Bortoli wines sadly don’t get a ton of distribution in the USA, which is a shame. I share your love of this stuff - a much older vintage on a BusinessElite flight years ago sparked my love of botrytized dessert wines.

Vat 5 is actually their value wine, and while I’d stock up on cases if I lived in Australia, it doesn’t seem to see much importing into the States. Its flagship sister wine, Noble One, is sometimes possible to find because of its stellar reputation, and tastes similar but more refined (at a higher price point, alas.). I also really like Black Noble - totally different style, a Port-like fortified wine derived from Noble One, but may be my favorite of all their dessert wines.

De Bortoli has several “cellar doors” (Aussie for tasting room) you can visit down under, including one in the Yarra River Valley that is very convenient to visit during a trip to Melbourne. Perhaps you’d like to redeem some Skymiles? Shipping to the US is so cost prohibitive that it’s barely worth contemplating, but that elite luggage allowance could come in handy...

If this was your first dessert wine of this style, you should know that the primary originators were the French, and - much like Champagne is to sparkling wine - the appellation most known for producing this type of dessert wine is Sauternes. You can pay as much as you like for a fine Sauternes, including nearly four digit pricing for some vintages of Chateau d’Yquem, so approach developing a habit with some caution. But your local wine merchant will likely have a number of delightful and affordable choices that compare nicely with the Vat 5, even if they aren’t quite as stellar value for money.
MSPeconomist, TheHorta and trust77 like this.

Last edited by BenA; Nov 12, 2018 at 9:37 am Reason: :s/shopping/shipping :wq!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.