Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC on second segment / after landing becoming harder?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

I haven't done it in a while, but Medallion line certainly seemed reluctant to do it today-- HUCAed once, second person said it was a "policy exceptioon." It can be a powerful benefit, with routing changes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Do you just mean going on standby for an earlier flight as opposed to getting a confirmed seat? Wouldn't that just be predicated on availability?

Unless you're taking a lot of double hops, but I would assume that would be rare unless you're flying to/from very obscure locations. Or is this primarily around international inbounds?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean by "with routing changes"? Most fares either require non-stop flights or only allow a single connection (if there are no non-stop's). If you are trying to add an additional segment, there's a good chance it's not allowed under the routing rules for your fare.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
What do you mean by "with routing changes"? Most fares either require non-stop flights or only allow a single connection (if there are no non-stop's). If you are trying to add an additional segment, there's a good chance it's not allowed under the routing rules for your fare.
In this case I was changing to a later flight into SFO (phone agent last night had applied a GUC to first segment before I could stop her, longer story, 2nd leg didn't have a chance so I decided a 90 minute wait was worth it).

Typically I've done this on international inbounds, for instance, MEX-ATL-(XXX)-SFO could be re-routed through NYC, useful if you wanted to meet someone in the lounge etc. + upgrade when that was a flatbed service.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Do you just mean going on standby for an earlier flight as opposed to getting a confirmed seat? Wouldn't that just be predicated on availability?

Unless you're taking a lot of double hops, but I would assume that would be rare unless you're flying to/from very obscure locations. Or is this primarily around international inbounds?
As mention, was primarily around international inbounds. Perhaps it was those fare rules that make/made it possible/easy? I'll ready up
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight is still part of a international itin. While people have had some success on doing SDC on the domestic flight, there's nothing in the SDC rules that requires they allow you to do it. There's definitely no requirement that they give you a crazy routing. I just checked routing rules for SFO-MEX fares on EF and routing through JFK is not valid.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
The flight is still part of a international itin. While people have had some success on doing SDC on the domestic flight, there's nothing in the SDC rules that requires they allow you to do it. There's definitely no requirement that they give you a crazy routing. I just checked routing rules for SFO-MEX fares on EF and routing through JFK is not valid.
Today I called the Medallion line because of the GUC; maybe Twitter would have gotten a different result.

Definitely no issues with SDC after landing on inbounds from MEX, though I haven't done it for a while. This may be informal because SDC is not possible until the inbound segment is flow.

I've had @Delta allow rerouting ATL->JFK->SFO on inbound from MEX, though I suspect the fare rules were different then. Not sure that I've seen it as an available MEX->SFO routing recently.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I've been experiencing the opposite lately with the DM line. Agents have been really cool with me snagging an earlier flight (confirmed) when connecting in DTW and ATL. I've been buying only F tix as of late so if there's room up front and I can make the second earlier flight they allow me to swap.

I just did it this weekend TPA-ATL-BHM. Originally had a later flight and landed earlier than expected and snagged 1B on the second leg. Last seat up there.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
I just checked routing rules for SFO-MEX fares on EF and routing through JFK is not valid.
OP: The requirement for the new SDC itin to follow the routing rules of the purchased fare goes back (at least) to the April '13 same fare class/$50 fee implementation. I'm going to trust LBJ on this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
IIRC the SDC rules do say that you can SDC domestic segments of an international itinerary after all of the international segments have been flown. When I've done this more recently, I've been told that it must be done at the airport (after clearing immigration and customs) rather than by phone. I've had mixed experiences in really being able to do it at the service counter after exiting customs, although sometimes it was worth waiting for a redcoat. With no checked bags, the odds would be better in the SC.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here are the rules:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change

They do not permit SDC on an international itinerary, but DL does waive the change fee at the airport once all international segments have been flown. Do this post-CBP but before bag drop so your bags are retagged for your corrected flight.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Here are the rules:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change

They do not permit SDC on an international itinerary, but DL does waive the change fee at the airport once all international segments have been flown. Do this post-CBP but before bag drop so your bags are retagged for your corrected flight.
The rules aren't very clear. In one place, it says international travel while elsewhere it says that you cannot SDC an international flight (which to me would say that domestic segments on an international itinerary would be OK, even at the beginning of the trip, which was never allowed except if there were IROPs expected).

Where do you see the rule about DL permitting changes (but NOT SDC) without any fees on international tickets at the airport after all international segments have been flown?

Also, was there ever a written rule about DMs allowed to SDC between co-terminal airports? The current rules seem to simply say no.
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.