Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight "unconfirmed" but not cancelled?

Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

So this is odd.
DL 682 on 6/18/19 from CZM to ATL

I got an expert flyer notfication of aircraft change (last week), but not schedule change, etc. But the aircraft type was like from 32M to 738.

I logged into Delta and it said there was a schedule change, and the "select seats" area showed neither of us having seats.
The Passenger Status said: Contact Delta.

OK, so I call.
The lady comes back and says the flight has been unconfirmed, but apparently not cancelled?

If one tries to book anything with "flexible" dates for the week of June 18th, 2019 from CZM to ALB, there's no longer any service except on one Saturday, the 15th

The agent said that since it's more than 6 months in advance, Delta may reinstate the flight at a later date, but maybe not, or may have to flight out a day earlier or later (although right now it would be several days earlier).

I have travel insurance (third party), but it seems that they will only cover the "change fee" if alternative transportation is found (currently UA has a flight on that day, but it's over $100 more per person), if I'm reading the policy correctly (but not sure if they limit to same carrier or not).

Should I wait and see what happens? Or be proactive?
Last time I was proactive, UA reinstated half the ticket (round trip and then it semi-reverted back to normal for the one way down, but not the return trip).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hurnik
So this is odd.
DL 682 on 6/18/19 from CZM to ATL

I got an expert flyer notfication of aircraft change (last week), but not schedule change, etc. But the aircraft type was like from 32M to 738.

I logged into Delta and it said there was a schedule change, and the "select seats" area showed neither of us having seats.
The Passenger Status said: Contact Delta.

OK, so I call.
The lady comes back and says the flight has been unconfirmed, but apparently not cancelled?

If one tries to book anything with "flexible" dates for the week of June 18th, 2019 from CZM to ALB, there's no longer any service except on one Saturday, the 15th

The agent said that since it's more than 6 months in advance, Delta may reinstate the flight at a later date, but maybe not, or may have to flight out a day earlier or later (although right now it would be several days earlier).

I have travel insurance (third party), but it seems that they will only cover the "change fee" if alternative transportation is found (currently UA has a flight on that day, but it's over $100 more per person), if I'm reading the policy correctly (but not sure if they limit to same carrier or not).

Should I wait and see what happens? Or be proactive?
Last time I was proactive, UA reinstated half the ticket (round trip and then it semi-reverted back to normal for the one way down, but not the return trip).

Thanks for any advice.
I'd be proactive and reach out
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
DL often cancels a flight for a while, then reinstates it later. I've had it happen where I got reticketed for a day earlier or later, but then the original date flight comes back and it's a hassle and rather difficult to get it back, due to only higher cost availability for it.

So here really it depends. If your travel date is flexible, proactively get it changed now for peace of mind. If you prefer to travel on the date as now ticket, then wait until some 3-4 months out and if it's still gone then, then call to reticket.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATL-CZM looks to be Saturday only service starting in May. It looks like a seasonal adjustment and I'd be surprised if they restored mid-week flights. The flight currently does not operate on Tuesdays and Wednesdays until late December when it goes daily through the end of April.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Frick. I'm booked on a flight around this time as well. Typical Delta - I received no notification of the change. With that said, Delta was super helpful and rebooked my Thurs-Sun itinerary into a convenient same-day turnabout. They seem to think I might have trouble making that "connection" though... what's the I-I MCT in CZM?

What's the point of running a once a week schedule? That's infrequent enough to be patently useless...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much more demand for Sat - Sat trips for leisure destinations than other days of the week. The flights are often sold as part of hotel package deals. enilria also noted this change on his weekly OAG update on airliners.net. Given the change was just loaded, it's hardly surprising notifications hadn't been sent yet.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
ATL-CZM looks to be Saturday only service starting in May. It looks like a seasonal adjustment and I'd be surprised if they restored mid-week flights. The flight currently does not operate on Tuesdays and Wednesdays until late December when it goes daily through the end of April.
Ugh, thanks for the info

Guess I'll have to see if Delta would interline us on AA (the AA tickets are now $860 apiece for First, and the Delta tickets I bought were $450 each, so that's a substantial jump), or see if the travel insurance will cover either:
a) switching to United ($100 more apiece at this point)
or
b) re-doing the entire itinerary and flying into CZM rather than out (but right now that substantially increases the total trip cost by about another $500).

If I didn't hate AA so much, I should've booked with them, as they seem to have daily flights in and out (but it was like $540 ea and got in several hours later).

Sigh.

Oh well, I'll have to call tomorrow and see what the insurance company has to say, as I highly doubt Delta will interline on AA or United.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Much more demand for Sat - Sat trips for leisure destinations than other days of the week. The flights are often sold as part of hotel package deals. enilria also noted this change on his weekly OAG update on airliners.net. Given the change was just loaded, it's hardly surprising notifications hadn't been sent yet.
I guess it make sense given that they likely have slack on Saturdays since its a quieter travel day, but either way, it's such a worthless route now that I'd rather they just ax it than pretend they have the route.

A once a week route means that if a passenger misses their flight for whatever reason, it will be a long, difficult slog to get home (I guess their best option short of paying a walk-up fare for another airline is to get up to Cancun and fly out of there?). There's literally no way to get to Cozumel any other day of the week on a Delta or Delta partner flight - even Aeromexico does't fly to CZM from MEX.

Re: notifications.. unless there's excessive call volume due to IRROPS, why wouldn't they just notify as soon as the changes are made (or at least throughout the week) with priority given to those with status?

I really don't envy anyone that has a prepaid hotel reservation.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Frick. I'm booked on a flight around this time as well. Typical Delta - I received no notification of the change. With that said, Delta was super helpful and rebooked my Thurs-Sun itinerary into a convenient same-day turnabout. They seem to think I might have trouble making that "connection" though... what's the I-I MCT in CZM?

What's the point of running a once a week schedule? That's infrequent enough to be patently useless...
Good news for you - this itinerary does not meet MCT (which is 1:30 I-I in CZM) - another free change for you! <g>
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The interline agreements are basically only for day of departure IROP's, not advance schedule changes. I would be very surprised if they agreed to put you on AA/UA flights. I suspect a refund is your only option with DL (and maybe some miles/DL dollars for the hassle).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Good news for you - this itinerary does not meet MCT (which is 1:30 I-I in CZM) - another free change for you! <g>
Thank goodness - I was worried there for a second...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
The interline agreements are basically only for day of departure IROP's, not advance schedule changes. I would be very surprised if they agreed to put you on AA/UA flights. I suspect a refund is your only option with DL (and maybe some miles/DL dollars for the hassle).
Thanks, I doubt it as well.

What seems to be odd, is if Delta knows they are doing "seasonal" service in May, why bother advertising fares for daily service for those months?

Guess my only alternatives

1) Return from CUN (adds about 3 hours additional travel time) and see if Delta is willing to throw in some dollars, as it'll cost about another $150-200 in cab fares and ferry tickets. Assuming Delta will even do that (if they're like United, it'll be a big fat no).

2) Cancel trip all together (unsure if the insurance will cover the airline canceling the airefare totally or not--although I did also purchase the Cancel for Any reason benefit - but them I'm out about $500 as they only reimburse 75% of the trip)

3) Book United out of pocket and hope they don't cancel either (AA changed all their flights so it's 2 days to get back from CZM now).

Thanks for the help and the info. Perhaps our trip was just not meant to be.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Re: notifications.. unless there's excessive call volume due to IRROPS, why wouldn't they just notify as soon as the changes are made (or at least throughout the week) with priority given to those with status?
Eight months out to a seasonal leisure destination? So they don't waste their time rebooking you twice more.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Eight months out to a seasonal leisure destination? So they don't waste their time rebooking you twice more.
I'll take "sad but true" for $800 Alex.
chica likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I live beach town-adjacent and at least here, Saturday is condo changeover day- probably 90% of short term rentals during the peak season are by the week Saturday to Saturday.

Locals know darn well not to venture into a beach side Publix or Walmart on condo changeover Saturday that time of year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.