Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL ticket - Trying to get AF TATL Y seat assignments without paying

Old Nov 11, 18, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I have 2 friends who are flying PIT/JFK/CDG/PRG later this week. They are not well traveled, so they asked me which of 2 itineraries would be best. I didn't realize that the itin I suggested had a TATL flight was on AF metal. When I try to get them seat assignments, I get the message below:

"Air France requires a $22.83USD fee to select your seat outside of the check-in window"

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get them free Y seat assignments at the PIT check-in window, or, will I hafto wait til the AF JFK/CDG check-in window, which is about 6 hours later?

Thanx in advance!

Last edited by davetravels; Nov 11, 18 at 10:44 am
Old Nov 11, 18, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there are currently good seats available, I'd suggest just paying about $23 each for a TATL flight rather than risking them being separated in middle seats in the back.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Does anyone know if I'll be able to get them free Y seat assignments at the PIT check-in window, or, will I hafto wait til the AF JFK/CDG check-in window, which is about 6 hours later?

Thanx in advance!
In my experience, yes, you can get assigned Y seats for free during check-in (on Delta.com) even if your AF flight check-in isn't open yet. However, I don't recall having the option to change the seats AF assigns you to because every other seat appears blocked. They seemed to have some algorithm that tries to keep people together if you check in early enough, but there is still a risk of being separated.

If anyone in the party needs a wheelchair, I've been able to select seats ahead of time too.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I've never been able to select AF seats at DL checkout, and I've flown AF 6 times so far this year. It always tells me "Oops! You can't select seats now..." or some such thing.

Most of my bookings were in J, so it may be different for Y, but I don't see why.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
I've never been able to select AF seats at DL checkout, and I've flown AF 6 times so far this year. It always tells me "Oops! You can't select seats now..." or some such thing.

Most of my bookings were in J, so it may be different for Y, but I don't see why.
did you try to select a seat after booking (either on delta.com or AF's website)? in J i've never had a problem selecting a seat on AF after booking (same w/ KLM), in some situations (intra-europe Y, maybe?) there's no advance seat selection on AF
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by roberta_h View Post
did you try to select a seat after booking (either on delta.com or AF's website)? in J i've never had a problem selecting a seat on AF after booking (same w/ KLM), in some situations (intra-europe Y, maybe?) there's no advance seat selection on AF
Yeah, it tells me I will be able to select seats after booking, but I can never get to the seatmap.

Yet more evidence that Delta hates me.
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Well, they bought these tix as part of a package tour with a four star hotel. I tried to UG them with my miles, but, the DM agent's wording was something like . . . .

There's no Delta One of Air France Two space available. Never heard of Air France Two.
Old Nov 11, 18, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they bought these tix as part of a package tour with a four star hotel. I tried to UG them with my miles, but, the DM agent's wording was something like . . . .

There's no Delta One of Air France Two space available. Never heard of Air France Two.
Maybe it was “or Air France ‘O’ space”? I know that’s business award inventory but it may be for upgrades too.
Old Nov 11, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Given that the flight is only for this week and still looks pretty empty, I think you should be fine waiting until checkin. Do it right away as soon as the window opens to ensure you get good seat selection.
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If there are currently good seats available, I'd suggest just paying about $23 each for a TATL flight rather than risking them being separated in middle seats in the back.
There really aren't any GREAT seats. I would just hope that AF wouldn't auto-assign them to 2 middle seats together in a B777 center section of 4 seats. As to paying? Should I pay? There other choice was all DL metal via DTW, but, for some reason, I thought the JFK routing was better, I just didn't realize it was an AF flight.

Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
In my experience, yes, you can get assigned Y seats for free during check-in (on Delta.com) even if your AF flight check-in isn't open yet. However, I don't recall having the option to change the seats AF assigns you to because every other seat appears blocked. They seemed to have some algorithm that tries to keep people together if you check in early enough, but there is still a risk of being separated.
Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
Given that the flight is only for this week and still looks pretty empty, I think you should be fine waiting until checkin. Do it right away as soon as the window opens to ensure you get good seat selection.
I'll try'n check in at T-23:59 before the first flight, and HOPE I can get the TATL seats assigned - - or - - at least, be able to change anything that AF pre-assigned.

Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Originally Posted by roberta_h View Post
Like I said after you posted . . . These tix were bought as a package deal from a wholesaler they used many times before. RT airfare for 2 peeps plus 5 nights at a 4 star <supposedly> hotel - The Park Inn Prague all in for $1450. I'm guessing they won't earn any miles for this. My app says they're booked in V-class, but, of course, there could be some sort of an add-on suffix to the fare code that's a wholesale ticket.

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Maybe it was “or Air France ‘O’ space”? I know that’s business award inventory but it may be for upgrades too.
Maybe I'll call again today and see what they say about upgrading. Would AF B777 J class on a B777 be lie flats, or what???

Last edited by davetravels; Nov 12, 18 at 9:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 12, 18, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that AF V class can't be upgraded with miles, but the details of whether this is DL or AF ticket stock and whether it's a DL codeshare (my guess is yes) might matter. You might have more luck using GUCs (if you have some to spare), but IIRC this would only upgrade as far as CDG and not for the (I assume) intraEU flight from CDG to PRG. I don't remember the current rules in detail, but be aware that GUC upgrades versus upgrades with miles can have different rules and require different upgrade inventory classes, although I might be remembering the KLM situation. A further complication could be whether the AF flight has a premium economy cabin or not.

I would certainly assume that these are bulk/consolidator tickets, so that could be a further complication. DL might not be able to touch the ticket before T-24, but in that case I'm surprised that you had a phone agent looking for upgrade space.

IMO you should figure out what the correct rules are and even check for upgrade inventory yourself, then call if you want to use miles or GUCs to upgrade them. If you're going for the upgrade, look at the seat map first too.

Does AF sell cheap upgrades at JFK?
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think a park inn is a 4...or even a 3

Possibly lack of seats is a package deal issue rather than AF metal issue

Did you try AF website?
Old Nov 12, 18, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Try and get the AF PNR and try and select your seats on AF website.

In flying KLM metal msp to cph via ams. I went to select seats and Delta was going to charge me $130 and KLM only $50 for the exact same seat.

Old Nov 12, 18, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'll call again today and see what they say about upgrading. Would AF B777 J calss on a B777 be lie flats, or what???
From JFK, almost certainly full flat (like DL A330 seats) on the 772/77W.
Old Nov 12, 18, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
My recollection in the past was that I could not make AF seat selections until checkin.

However, I recently booked another package with coach seats to VIE, AF on the outbound and KL on the return (with the ATL-CDG outbound being on DL metal).

To my surprise, when I looked up the itinerary on the KL website, I was able to pick seats for all 3 KL/AF operated flights. I was able to do the DL-operated flight on Delta.com. I assume this is due to Elite-Plus status?

Another oddity: only the outbound shows up on the DL website, and both legs show up on AF and KL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: