Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancelling one of two passengers - but want to keep elite benefits

Cancelling one of two passengers - but want to keep elite benefits

Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
You state that your wife now needs to "fly elsewhere instead of returning home." If her new flight is on Delta and if it conflicts with her original flight, she runs a risk that her new flight (or both of her flights) will be cancelled by the airline.
New flight is on American.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cre95
Rather than letting the seat uncertainty play out, if she currently has the aisle and you the middle, log-in and swap the seat assignment now rather than being left on the middle seat. If there other open seats available in your area of service, you can do so yourself on-line by going through the seat change 3 times to first move her out of the aisle, then you into the aisle, and finally her to your now released middle seat. Or you can call it in and ask them to swap the seats explaining how you want to seat on the aisle and you really need the record to be correct
It's a regional jet, no middle seats. I don't really care if they reassign her seat. I'm fine with either aisle or window. It will be comfort plus, not F, so maybe it might stay empty. No big deal either way.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by RBirns
New flight is on American.
Then I'd probably just no-show. Conflicting reservations was going to be my concern.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by yohanson
Does she even need to cancel? Can she just not show up for the flight so that the OP can keep his seat?
If she doesn't cancel her ticket on the return, the husband will get get the upgrade since they won't know she's not flying. If she cancels way before the flight, his benefits will probably be cancelled.

I had to miss a flight one day that my wife & I were both upgraded on (based on my status) and since I didn't cancel until right before the outbound flights, she kept her first class seats on both outbound flights. When I called to "cancel" I was actually changing to later flights for me that day.

So the best strategy is to either not cancel, or cancel right before the flight leaves.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BobOscar
If she doesn't cancel her ticket on the return, the husband will get get the upgrade since they won't know she's not flying. If she cancels way before the flight, his benefits will probably be cancelled.

I had to miss a flight one day that my wife & I were both upgraded on (based on my status) and since I didn't cancel until right before the outbound flights, she kept her first class seats on both outbound flights. When I called to "cancel" I was actually changing to later flights for me that day.

So the best strategy is to either not cancel, or cancel right before the flight leaves.
This is yet another reason that traveling companions should clear upgrades at their *own* priority or go to the bottom of the list if they don't have their *own* status with DL or SkyTeam.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is yet another reason that traveling companions should clear upgrades at their *own* priority or go to the bottom of the list if they don't have their *own* status with DL or SkyTeam.
Should they have to then go back airside and use the non-SkyPriority security and boarding lines too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.