Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angra
no, I really am just curious for my own sake of the details, if recorded. Since nearly 100% of my flights, and 100% of my aborts have been on Delta, and I posted on the DL board, I'm asking about Delta specifically. There is very little practical value, except that if there turned out to be a positive answer, it might have been useful to other curious people in the future. The suggestion of liveatc.net appears to be a useful one that I will pursue . I am sure that someone told a tower somewhere that we had aborted.
Mot of my flights have been on UA, and yes, most of my aborts have been on UA. I've a couple on AA. None on DL.

Good luck in your quest, but I don't think you're going to find the answer you are looking for.

FWIW, an aborted landing tells me the pilot is a professional who chose to not land when it wasn't safe to make an attempt. I like that attitude.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Raymoland
Why? It's a routine maneuver for pilots and is usually caused for the most mundane reasons - most often the pilots in front are slow to clear the runway.
Originally Posted by krispy84

Unless you are scared of flying, there is nothing to be scared about a go-around.
I was never on an aborted landing, but my wife and daughter once were, and it was due to HORRIBLE inclement weather at JFK with minimal visibility, and the pilot aborted the landing at the last minute. They were (as were most of the plane) incredibly frightened!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
FWIW, an aborted landing tells me the pilot is a professional who chose to not land when it wasn't safe to make an attempt. I like that attitude.
I never said or even implied otherwise. I am thrilled that the pilot executed the maneuver successfully and that he exercised discretion to favor safety first. I thanked the cockpit personnel on my way out.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
My recommendation would be to try and listen to the LIVEATC.net recording (if available) for your flight/airport of landing. Try and see if ATC directed the pilot to go around (they might even state the reason why like traffic not clearing, separation issues, ground traffic issues, etc). Or perhaps the pilot made the call for a missed approach due to winds, clouds, etc.

At my airline we keep internal records for go-arounds/missed approaches for engine cycle calculations and FOQA records. I don't know of any public database of this info. From a pilot's perspective it's all random. I have gone 8 months without a missed and then had 3 within one week. Keeps things interesting!
Thanks for this suggestion and the background info! I did manage to locate some ATC discussion about the flight. The biggest difficulty was determining which feed to listen to - ATL has a bunch!

Originally Posted by KATL Tower (Rwy 10/28)/LiveATC - Nov-10-2018-0300Z @ 15:24
Tower: "DL 1554, What's the reason for the go around?"
DL1554: "ahhh, had a gust and we're landing outside the uhh landing zone - DL 1554"
then some nav directions for the go around.

Again - nothing insidious here, no complaint, intended slight on delta, anything like that. Just posted here because it was Delta and maybe they had company-specific public info.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by angra
I never said or even implied otherwise. I am thrilled that the pilot executed the maneuver successfully and that he exercised discretion to favor safety first. I thanked the cockpit personnel on my way out.
A go-around is a routine maneuver that is practiced at every training cycle and it isn't unusual to fly them on the line. They shouldn't be frightening to the passengers; only, perhaps, an annoyance.

Go-arounds, at least in Boeing airplanes, are not full power. The Boeing go-around power setting targets a 2000fpm climb which is less than the initial climb after takeoff. I would think that Airbus is similar but don't have never flown an Airbus.

The reasons for a go-around are usually one of the following:

1. Previous aircraft will not be clear of the runway prior to the arriving aircraft reaching the runway threshold. During in busy arrival pushes it isn't uncommon for the time between the previous aircraft clearing the runway and arriving aircraft reaching the runway threshold to be as little as ten seconds. The two airplanes are still more than a mile apart, at this point, so there is no risk of collision but it doesn't take much to eat up that ten second pad which will cause the arrival to have to go around.

2. Failure to meet stabilized approach criteria by the reject gate. Specific details vary by airline but there will be an established 'reject gate' which may be 500', 1000', etc. where the company procedures require the aircraft to be fully configured (gear/flaps), on-speed, engines spooled, on course, and with a descent rate under 1200fpm (sometimes 1000fpm). If you haven't yet met stabilized approach criteria at the reject gate then a go-around is mandatory. This usually results from ATC keeping you high, or turning you in tighter than you were expecting.

3. Low visibility. When the required visual references are not in sight at the applicable decision altitude or missed approach point a go-around is mandatory.

4. High winds/turbulence. When high winds/turbulence prevent a stabilized round-out, flare, and touchdown, result in a bounced landing, or extends the flare so that touchdown will not be within the designated touchdown zone, a go-around is prudent.
defrosted likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Only time I've had an aborted landing was in HNL and had another aircraft crossing the runway. Got almost to the ground and then throttled up to gain speed and altitude.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Had my first aborted landing earlier this year because of crosswinds in Salt Lake City. Before the first landing attempt, we had spent 20 or so minutes looping around Moab in hopes the winds would settle down and then after the go round, we had another 20 or so minutes over Bonneville while the pilot and operations discussed whether they were going to try Salt Lake City a second time or divert to Las Vegas. Second landing attempt at SLC went well.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:23 pm

Delta pilot aborts takeoff to avoid another aircraft PVG->DTW

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1811135062/

Delta Air Lines pilot avoided what could otherwise have been a catastrophic incident when he aborted takeoff after spotting a Japan Airlines aircraft entering the runway at the Pudong International Airport in Shanghai yesterday.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:40 pm

That is great quick action by the pilot to potentially save 600+ lives. Now I want to know how many people called DL to demand for compensation for the delay...due to...not killing everyone on board.
eastindywalrus and 757FO like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
That is great quick action by the pilot to potentially save 600+ lives. Now I want to know how many people called DL to demand for compensation for the delay...due to...not killing everyone on board.
They should ask for compensation from JL!
kop84 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It was not known how many passengers were on board but a Boeing 787 can carry 375 passengers while an Airbus 350 can carry 306 passengers.
Kudos to them for getting the Delta A350 seating capacity right.. wonder where that 787 figure came from. It doesn't match the exit row limit for any versions but it is also way higher than what any 787 actually carries. Even Norwegian's 789s only carry 334 and they have no J cabin. Just seems funny since it gives the impression that the 787 is bigger than the A350 when the opposite is true (or, at least, the smallest A350 is equal to the the biggest 787-10).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Aviation Herald has the story as well:

Incident: JAL B789 at Shanghai on Nov 13th 2018, runway incursion forces rejected takeoff
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Based on the diagram, there was almost certainly no actual danger, the A350 would have passed several hundred feet above the 787. Would have been an impressive view for the passengers on the left side of the 787. The passengers on the A350 wouldn't have known anything was unusual.

Still, very prudent of DL pilots to stop, take no chances.
DiverDave, wlau and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Apparently JL is a frequent violator at PVG. According to an article six times in last two years.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Apparently JL is a frequent violator at PVG. According to an article six times in last two years.
Without context of the violations of other carriers, this is not a useful statistic. There's a lot of anti-Japanese propaganda in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.