Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:12 pm

My wife and I were driving around Colorado Spring COS airport on a typical windy CO day. Was a cross wind for the runway. We watched a 737ish plane coming in for a landing (frontier or spirit I think) and then was climbing out. She was watching the flight on an app and saw it climbing then doing a circle. I was going to try and get her to try cos on my next business trip vs Den and drive down which is what we have done before. She said that must have been scary so I think it will be Den next time. She get anxious on turbulence and I sort of enjoy the ride. :-)
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by angra
I experienced my second ever aborted landing last night. It led me to wonder whether records are available online for the cause? It doesn't matter, I'm not seeking compensation I am just curious and interested.
Are you asking about only DL aborted landings?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by MarkP24
That's scary!
Unless you are scared of flying, there is nothing to be scared about a go-around.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I thought this thread was a survey among FTers to determine who had the most in their lifetime of flying.

I've had two - my most recent being on a VS A340-600 coming into JFK last month without ~200-300 ft to go. Pilot did come on the PA shortly afterward and let us know the go-around was due to traffic in front of us not clearing the runway. My first aborted landing was on a flight test; I was sitting in the jump seat. We were landing overweight (planned) but were coming in high and despite the long runway, the pilots decided a go-around was the better option to reshoot the approach.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I thought this thread was a survey among FTers to determine who had the most in their lifetime of flying.
there’s a 2008 thread in TravelBuzz that currently has ~240 posts

here’s mine
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: none
This appears to be one of those questions where the correct answer has little practical value, except for - as the OP states - curiosity value. Of course you could review every flight and analyze the ground tracks one at a time to come up with an answer. That's a lot of work.

Maybe someone will respond here that such a public record really does exist, and point out the link, CFR, regulation, or other documentation that establishes it. However without such actual proof, all we will get is a lot of replies like, "Here's what I think it should be...." or "This is my opinion..." or "I overheard a pilot talking to a gate agent a couple years ago about ..." and so on. And if this is like any of the previous threads on this same topic, we will have replies explaining the subtle differences between what is a "go-around" vs, an "aborted landing" vs. "missed approach" vs. "diversion". etc. Finally, there will be many helpful posts describing how "I was on a flight years ago from AAA to BBB, and we had a missed landing, too" FWIW.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Allan38103
This appears to be one of those questions where the correct answer has little practical value, except for - as the OP states - curiosity value. Of course you could review every flight and analyze the ground tracks one at a time to come up with an answer. That's a lot of work.

Maybe someone will respond here that such a public record really does exist, and point out the link, CFR, regulation, or other documentation that establishes it. However without any actual proof, all we will get is a lot of replies like,"Here's what I think it should be...." or "This is my opinion..." or "I overheard a pilot talking to a gate agent about ..." and so on. And if this is like any of the previous threads on this same topic, we will have replies explaining the subtle differences between what is a "go-around" vs, an"aborted landing" vs. "missed approach" vs "diversion". etc. Finally, there will be many helpful posts describing "I was on a flight years ago from AAA to BBB, and we had a missed landing, too" FWIW.
As opposed to your very helpful post!

I think the OP was asking if official records exist, to determine how often this happens, etc. I am also curious about that.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
no, I really am just curious for my own sake of the details, if recorded. Since nearly 100% of my flights, and 100% of my aborts have been on Delta, and I posted on the DL board, I'm asking about Delta specifically. There is very little practical value, except that if there turned out to be a positive answer, it might have been useful to other curious people in the future. The suggestion of liveatc.net appears to be a useful one that I will pursue . I am sure that someone told a tower somewhere that we had aborted.

I have my own theories about the reason, and I was not surprised when I heard the engines spool back up. The pilot even gave a hurried, but not very specific reason "wind gusts". I don't really care how often it happens. Flight was DL1554 LAX-ATL on November 9. Wheels touched ground, then we ascended slightly, then about 1 or 2 seconds after touching, I heard the engines spool up. I was seated next to a jumpseated FA - she maintained a very professional and calm demeanor, but I detected that it made her more nervous than it did me.

Interestingly enough, the flight tracking apps all said we had landed and were taxiing while we were climbing out and going around.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wrong forum?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by moondog
Wrong forum?
No. The OP in the preceding post made his case as to why this was relevant to Delta. So. not a wrong forum and it will not be moved to TravelBuzz
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I've had two - my most recent being on a VS A340-600 coming into JFK last month without ~200-300 ft to go. Pilot did come on the PA shortly afterward and let us know the go-around was due to traffic in front of us not clearing the runway. My first aborted landing was on a flight test; I was sitting in the jump seat. We were landing overweight (planned) but were coming in high and despite the long runway, the pilots decided a go-around was the better option to reshoot the approach.
My only one was a couple of months ago on B6 at SFO at about 1000 feet, and the pilot said just about the same thing about traffic. Later I listed to the ATC recordings and they told ATC that it was because they were coming in too high.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
That's scary!
Why? It's a routine maneuver for pilots and is usually caused for the most mundane reasons - most often the pilots in front are slow to clear the runway.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:53 pm

no, I really am just curious for my own sake of the details, if recorded. Since nearly 100% of my flights, and 100% of my aborts have been on Delta, and I posted on the DL board, I'm asking about Delta specifically. There is very little practical value, except that if there turned out to be a positive answer, it might have been useful to other curious people in the future. The suggestion of liveatc.net appears to be a useful one that I will pursue . I am sure that someone told a tower somewhere that we had aborted.

I have my own theories about the reason, and I was not surprised when I heard the engines spool back up. The pilot even gave a hurried, but not very specific reason "wind gusts". I don't really care how often it happens. Flight was DL1554 LAX-ATL on November 9. Wheels touched ground, then we ascended slightly, then about 1 or 2 seconds after touching, I heard the engines spool up. I was seated next to a jumpseated FA - she maintained a very professional and calm demeanor, but I detected that it made her more nervous than it did me.

Interestingly enough, the flight tracking apps all said we had landed and were taxiing while we were climbing out and going around.
OK, if you touched down and then went around it was a botched landing. You bounced and the pilots made a smart decision that instead of trying to recover the bounce they would go around and try it again. Gusty winds may have played a part and but it was the bounce itself that lead to the go around. Happens sometimes, even the best pilots get it wrong from time to time and odds are at least one of your pilots was below average.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This appears to be one of those questions where the correct answer has little practical value,
Everyone has different reasons for coming to FT. Though I am not a pilot, even if discussions like this are of zero practical use to me as a passenger, I am interested in the details and processes of what happens behind the scenes, so I appreciate opportunities to find out more, and though I can only speak for myself, but I'm betting I'm not in the minority here.

except for - as the OP states - curiosity value. Of course you could review every flight and analyze the ground tracks one at a time to come up with an answer. That's a lot of work.

Maybe someone will respond here that such a public record really does exist, and point out the link, CFR, regulation, or other documentation that establishes it. However without such actual proof, all we will get is a lot of replies like, "Here's what I think it should be...." or "This is my opinion..." or "I overheard a pilot talking to a gate agent a couple years ago about ..." and so on. And if this is like any of the previous threads on this same topic, we will have replies explaining the subtle differences between what is a "go-around" vs, an "aborted landing" vs. "missed approach" vs. "diversion". etc. Finally, there will be many helpful posts describing how "I was on a flight years ago from AAA to BBB, and we had a missed landing, too" FWIW.
... and occasionally something really interesting gets posted like, say, posts 248-285 of the consolidated UA thread

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

(for those interested, the payoff is post 274 where someone dug up the report in the ASRS database)
obscure2k and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Lol one go around is hardly statistically significant.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.