Aborted landing - records?

Old Nov 10, 18, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by angra View Post
no, I really am just curious for my own sake of the details, if recorded. Since nearly 100% of my flights, and 100% of my aborts have been on Delta, and I posted on the DL board, I'm asking about Delta specifically. There is very little practical value, except that if there turned out to be a positive answer, it might have been useful to other curious people in the future. The suggestion of liveatc.net appears to be a useful one that I will pursue . I am sure that someone told a tower somewhere that we had aborted.

I have my own theories about the reason, and I was not surprised when I heard the engines spool back up. The pilot even gave a hurried, but not very specific reason "wind gusts". I don't really care how often it happens. Flight was DL1554 LAX-ATL on November 9. Wheels touched ground, then we ascended slightly, then about 1 or 2 seconds after touching, I heard the engines spool up. I was seated next to a jumpseated FA - she maintained a very professional and calm demeanor, but I detected that it made her more nervous than it did me.

Interestingly enough, the flight tracking apps all said we had landed and were taxiing while we were climbing out and going around.
OK, if you touched down and then went around it was a botched landing. You bounced and the pilots made a smart decision that instead of trying to recover the bounce they would go around and try it again. Gusty winds may have played a part and but it was the bounce itself that lead to the go around. Happens sometimes, even the best pilots get it wrong from time to time and odds are at least one of your pilots was below average.
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
This appears to be one of those questions where the correct answer has little practical value,
Everyone has different reasons for coming to FT. Though I am not a pilot, even if discussions like this are of zero practical use to me as a passenger, I am interested in the details and processes of what happens behind the scenes, so I appreciate opportunities to find out more, and though I can only speak for myself, but I'm betting I'm not in the minority here.

Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
except for - as the OP states - curiosity value. Of course you could review every flight and analyze the ground tracks one at a time to come up with an answer. That's a lot of work.

Maybe someone will respond here that such a public record really does exist, and point out the link, CFR, regulation, or other documentation that establishes it. However without such actual proof, all we will get is a lot of replies like, "Here's what I think it should be...." or "This is my opinion..." or "I overheard a pilot talking to a gate agent a couple years ago about ..." and so on. And if this is like any of the previous threads on this same topic, we will have replies explaining the subtle differences between what is a "go-around" vs, an "aborted landing" vs. "missed approach" vs. "diversion". etc. Finally, there will be many helpful posts describing how "I was on a flight years ago from AAA to BBB, and we had a missed landing, too" FWIW.
... and occasionally something really interesting gets posted like, say, posts 248-285 of the consolidated UA thread

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

(for those interested, the payoff is post 274 where someone dug up the report in the ASRS database)
obscure2k and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
no, I really am just curious for my own sake of the details, if recorded. Since nearly 100% of my flights, and 100% of my aborts have been on Delta, and I posted on the DL board, I'm asking about Delta specifically. There is very little practical value, except that if there turned out to be a positive answer, it might have been useful to other curious people in the future. The suggestion of liveatc.net appears to be a useful one that I will pursue . I am sure that someone told a tower somewhere that we had aborted.

I have my own theories about the reason, and I was not surprised when I heard the engines spool back up. The pilot even gave a hurried, but not very specific reason "wind gusts". I don't really care how often it happens. Flight was DL1554 LAX-ATL on November 9. Wheels touched ground, then we ascended slightly, then about 1 or 2 seconds after touching, I heard the engines spool up. I was seated next to a jumpseated FA - she maintained a very professional and calm demeanor, but I detected that it made her more nervous than it did me.

Interestingly enough, the flight tracking apps all said we had landed and were taxiing while we were climbing out and going around.
Lol one go around is hardly statistically significant.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mot of my flights have been on UA, and yes, most of my aborts have been on UA. I've a couple on AA. None on DL.

Good luck in your quest, but I don't think you're going to find the answer you are looking for.

FWIW, an aborted landing tells me the pilot is a professional who chose to not land when it wasn't safe to make an attempt. I like that attitude.
Old Nov 11, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by Raymoland View Post
Why? It's a routine maneuver for pilots and is usually caused for the most mundane reasons - most often the pilots in front are slow to clear the runway.
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post

Unless you are scared of flying, there is nothing to be scared about a go-around.
I was never on an aborted landing, but my wife and daughter once were, and it was due to HORRIBLE inclement weather at JFK with minimal visibility, and the pilot aborted the landing at the last minute. They were (as were most of the plane) incredibly frightened!
Old Nov 11, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
FWIW, an aborted landing tells me the pilot is a professional who chose to not land when it wasn't safe to make an attempt. I like that attitude.
I never said or even implied otherwise. I am thrilled that the pilot executed the maneuver successfully and that he exercised discretion to favor safety first. I thanked the cockpit personnel on my way out.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
My recommendation would be to try and listen to the LIVEATC.net recording (if available) for your flight/airport of landing. Try and see if ATC directed the pilot to go around (they might even state the reason why like traffic not clearing, separation issues, ground traffic issues, etc). Or perhaps the pilot made the call for a missed approach due to winds, clouds, etc.

At my airline we keep internal records for go-arounds/missed approaches for engine cycle calculations and FOQA records. I don't know of any public database of this info. From a pilot's perspective it's all random. I have gone 8 months without a missed and then had 3 within one week. Keeps things interesting!
Thanks for this suggestion and the background info! I did manage to locate some ATC discussion about the flight. The biggest difficulty was determining which feed to listen to - ATL has a bunch!

Originally Posted by KATL Tower (Rwy 10/28)/LiveATC - Nov-10-2018-0300Z @ 15:24
Tower: "DL 1554, What's the reason for the go around?"
DL1554: "ahhh, had a gust and we're landing outside the uhh landing zone - DL 1554"
then some nav directions for the go around.

Again - nothing insidious here, no complaint, intended slight on delta, anything like that. Just posted here because it was Delta and maybe they had company-specific public info.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I never said or even implied otherwise. I am thrilled that the pilot executed the maneuver successfully and that he exercised discretion to favor safety first. I thanked the cockpit personnel on my way out.
A go-around is a routine maneuver that is practiced at every training cycle and it isn't unusual to fly them on the line. They shouldn't be frightening to the passengers; only, perhaps, an annoyance.

Go-arounds, at least in Boeing airplanes, are not full power. The Boeing go-around power setting targets a 2000fpm climb which is less than the initial climb after takeoff. I would think that Airbus is similar but don't have never flown an Airbus.

The reasons for a go-around are usually one of the following:

1. Previous aircraft will not be clear of the runway prior to the arriving aircraft reaching the runway threshold. During in busy arrival pushes it isn't uncommon for the time between the previous aircraft clearing the runway and arriving aircraft reaching the runway threshold to be as little as ten seconds. The two airplanes are still more than a mile apart, at this point, so there is no risk of collision but it doesn't take much to eat up that ten second pad which will cause the arrival to have to go around.

2. Failure to meet stabilized approach criteria by the reject gate. Specific details vary by airline but there will be an established 'reject gate' which may be 500', 1000', etc. where the company procedures require the aircraft to be fully configured (gear/flaps), on-speed, engines spooled, on course, and with a descent rate under 1200fpm (sometimes 1000fpm). If you haven't yet met stabilized approach criteria at the reject gate then a go-around is mandatory. This usually results from ATC keeping you high, or turning you in tighter than you were expecting.

3. Low visibility. When the required visual references are not in sight at the applicable decision altitude or missed approach point a go-around is mandatory.

4. High winds/turbulence. When high winds/turbulence prevent a stabilized round-out, flare, and touchdown, result in a bounced landing, or extends the flare so that touchdown will not be within the designated touchdown zone, a go-around is prudent.
defrosted likes this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Only time I've had an aborted landing was in HNL and had another aircraft crossing the runway. Got almost to the ground and then throttled up to gain speed and altitude.
Old Nov 11, 18, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Had my first aborted landing earlier this year because of crosswinds in Salt Lake City. Before the first landing attempt, we had spent 20 or so minutes looping around Moab in hopes the winds would settle down and then after the go round, we had another 20 or so minutes over Bonneville while the pilot and operations discussed whether they were going to try Salt Lake City a second time or divert to Las Vegas. Second landing attempt at SLC went well.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Been flying about 15 years (mostly UA until now but I'm status-matching over to DL) ... I've had a handful of aborts usually due to weather (low clouds or winds). However, had one very unusual situation several years ago - a "double go-around". Was coming into ORD on a UA 767 and listening to ATC on Ch 9 so I heard the whole story live. We were lined up on 27L and our pilot had been told to slow down while on final for spacing. Apparently he didn't slow down enough as we were given go-around instructions about the time we crossed the threshold. Ok, nothing too unusual (yet). We circled back around and over Lake Michigan, lined up again, and amazingly the SAME thing happened again. We were told to go around again due to spacing about the time we were coming over the runway. So went around again and the third time was a charm - although we did end up landing on 27R, which is another 20 minute drive back to the terminal.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, CLEAR/Global Entry
+1

Had first aborted landing here in LA returning from New Orleans in Nov 2016. Not a big deal, but what was interesting to me was how quickly everyone turned on their phones and started filming everything in the cabin during the Go-Around. TMZ and the like must be paying pretty good these days for images and footage of possible and perceived near catastrophes.
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Hepsaint View Post
TMZ and the like must be paying pretty good these days for images and footage of possible and perceived near catastrophes.
I would think the opposite. With the supply of such images, for any given event, increasing exponentially, the market price for them should be pretty low.
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Had 2 missed approaches on the same flight in to RIC a month or so ago... have had numerous MAs over the years but that was my first for 2 on the same flight... low ceiling in RIC was the culprit.

Search this Thread