Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles credit on SU flight operated by Rossiya Airlines (Aeroflot subsidiary)

Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, TK Elite+, HHonors Gold, FB, UA, AA

Would a flight operated by Rossiya Airlines (a subsidiary of Aeroflot) obtain Delta SkyMiles? It is marketed by Aeroflot and has a SU flight number.

Detailed info: SVO-PKC SU6285
Economy/Coach (B) - this looks like an Aeroflot fare code eligible for 100% SkyMiles, according to the Delta website

That being said, Delta.com has no mention of Rossiya flights and the phone representatives were of no help. An online search (incl. FT) does yield some positive information that Rossiya flights are equivalent to "normal" Aeroflot in the eyes of Delta, but would like to be 100% sure before booking.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dmitriy55
Would a flight operated by Rossiya Airlines (a subsidiary of Aeroflot) obtain Delta SkyMiles? It is marketed by Aeroflot and has a SU flight number.

Economy/Coach (B) - this looks like an Aeroflot fare code eligible for 100% SkyMiles, according to the Delta website

That being said, Delta.com has no mention of Rossiya flights and the phone representatives were of no help. An online search (incl. FT) does yield some positive information that Rossiya flights are equivalent to "normal" Aeroflot in the eyes of Delta, but would like to be 100% sure before booking.
I don't see why it wouldn't
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I thought so too. Unfortunately, there is information on FT pointing to both cases where Rossiya flights were able to accrue miles on SkyTeam FFprograms, and where credit was refused. Hence, I'm wondering if there has recently been any clarity with particularly Delta.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I do. Codeshares don't always earn mileage credit. Even when the operating airline is under the same ownership, it isn't a guarantee. Rossiya is not part of Skyteam, and is not a partner of Delta.

Exceptions should be listed on the mileage earning page. For the rest, the below should apply.

Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by any SkyTeam member airline, but is not applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by any other airline

It's really a case-by-case basis though. Sorry OP I don't know specifically. But I wouldn't count on it. Please post back with the results if you try!

EDIT: Someone in this recent post says FV=SU in these cases for lounge access, etc, but does not mention points earning or DL specifically. STE+ benefits on SU code operated by Rossiya
MarkP24 and dmitriy55 like this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 10, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As far as getting DL miles, it depends. If it is operated on behalf of Aeroflot then yes you'll earn miles. If however it is a Aerflot codeshare operated by Rossiya then no. In the first case, Rossiya is simply providing a plane and crew for what would otherwise be an SU flight. In the latter, Rossiya is operating their own flight and Aeroflot is selling seats on it.

This is just like AF coded Cityjet flights.

From whay I can see SU6285 is simply operated on behalf of SU by Rossiya, thus get credit.
MarkP24 and dmitriy55 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerCO
From what I can see SU6285 is simply operated on behalf of SU by Rossiya, thus get credit.
Not disagreeing, but how can you tell?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Rossiya is on Aeroflot's code share 2018 list (https://www.aeroflot.ru/us-en/about/flight), so Aeroflot considers it to be a code share. For this reason, do not expect to earn Delta miles on Rossiya flights (if you do, then great!!).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I do. Codeshares don't always earn mileage credit. Even when the operating airline is under the same ownership, it isn't a guarantee. Rossiya is not part of Skyteam, and is not a partner of Delta.

Exceptions should be listed on the mileage earning page. For the rest, the below should apply.

It's really a case-by-case basis though. Sorry OP I don't know specifically. But I wouldn't count on it. Please post back with the results if you try!

EDIT: Someone in this recent post says FV=SU in these cases for lounge access, etc, but does not mention points earning or DL specifically. STE+ benefits on SU code operated by Rossiya
i had posted in that thread and have now completed my flight!

i recieved full skyteam benefits and even received an op-up to j for both myself and my companion. also received delta skymiles as if it were Aeroflot (bought tickets through aeroflot...not sure if this makes a difference).

surprised rossiya flies to somewhere other than led from svo, thought rossiya only flew from led and aeroflot handled flights from moscow.
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by runningformqm; Nov 10, 2018 at 11:55 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by runningformqm

surprised rossiya flies to somewhere other than led from svo, thought rossiya only flew from led and aeroflot handled flights from moscow.
Until 2 weeks, they had a fairly decent base in Vnukovo, they moved their entire domestic operation (bar St P, Sochi, and Makhachkala) to Sheremetyevo recently and have more or less taken over Aeroflot's Far East flights to Magadan, Yuzhno Sakhalinsk, Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky (from December), and Khabarovsk, and most Vladivostok flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by dmitriy55
Should have gone for the actual SU flight (assuming they are still running when you go to Kamchatka!)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runningformqm

i had posted in that thread and have now completed my flight!

i received full skyteam benefits and even received an op-up to j for both myself and my companion. also received delta skymiles as if it were Aeroflot (bought tickets through aeroflot...not sure if this makes a difference).

This is super helpful, thank you for the response! What was also exciting about this flight, was that, despite the relatively cheap ticket, it was marked with a B fare code, meaning it was full economy and earning 100% Delta miles. This is unlike most other (reasonably priced) Aeroflot tickets, which receive 25% or 50% for both RDM and MQM.

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Until 2 weeks, they had a fairly decent base in Vnukovo, they moved their entire domestic operation (bar St P, Sochi, and Makhachkala) to Sheremetyevo recently and have more or less taken over Aeroflot's Far East flights to Magadan, Yuzhno Sakhalinsk, Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky (from December), and Khabarovsk, and most Vladivostok flights.
So far they look to have two flights at day (at least on some days), one each operated by Aeroflot and Rossiya

Should have gone for the actual SU flight (assuming they are still running when you go to Kamchatka!)
Looks like they are still running up into end of Dec, at least. Rossiya is slightly cheaper tix, but, yes, I hear the seat pitch and service are worse. Good thing, though, they are running a non-ER 777-300, which are doing to become a rare aircraft soon enough. Anyways, possibly to fly "normal" SU metal and Rossiya in each direction and see the difference for oneself.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I bought an Aeroflot marketed flight operated by Rossiya and put my SkyMiles number in there.

Credited to my account with zero miles. Don't expect to receive any miles on anything not operated by Aeroflot itself.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Rossiya is on Aeroflot's code share 2018 list (https://www.aeroflot.ru/us-en/about/flight), so Aeroflot considers it to be a code share. For this reason, do not expect to earn Delta miles on Rossiya flights (if you do, then great!!).
However it depends on the type of codeshare. Ie if Rossiya is simply operating the flight on behalf of SU vs. operating their own flight and SU sells seats on their flight.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I bought an Aeroflot marketed flight operated by Rossiya and put my SkyMiles number in there.

Credited to my account with zero miles. Don't expect to receive any miles on anything not operated by Aeroflot itself.
I've actually had that happened with "regular" SU flights too. Had to request mileage credit to be reinstated and it worked. So in your case it might be worth to check with Delta and still try to get these miles.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Skyteam
On a separate note, my best short flight meals have been on SU flights going to Mineralvody.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.