Is there a fire at ATL 11/8/18?

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Is there a fire at ATL 11/8/18?

Just pulled into the rental car facility and there was a huge cloud of smoke at the airport. Couldn't quite tell where.

Anyone know?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Could it be related to this? Link
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I hate clickbait titles. It was the plane train, but the headline reads plane brakes.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I seriously doubt brakes, whether on the plane train or a real plane, would produce enough smoke to be visible from the rental car facility.

A couple of years ago I checked into the E skyclub and noticed a lot of black smoke around the south cargo ramp, the desk agent said they were doing "firefighting practice."
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
found it, September 2014:

Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:41 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've seen the same thing a couple times in the past, most recently 2 months ago.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by pvn
I seriously doubt brakes, whether on the plane train or a real plane, would produce enough smoke to be visible from the rental car facility.

A couple of years ago I checked into the E skyclub and noticed a lot of black smoke around the south cargo ramp, the desk agent said they were doing "firefighting practice."
When doing live fire training at the fire training center, there will be a lot of black smoke.
FTC | ATL | Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Status? What's status?
Definitely looks to be comin from their fire training area. Next time you land on RWY 10/28 you can see the training area off the east end of the runway, behind the cargo ramps.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by pvn
found it, September 2014:

Looked exactly like this. This has gotta be it. When I got on the train from the Rental Car facility to the airport it was mostly dissipated and no planes had stopped landing or taking off.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

I have seen the live fire training in ATL several times. Once the pilot announced that it was happening but still a little unnerving when landing.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
I have seen the live fire training in ATL several times. Once the pilot announced that it was happening but still a little unnerving when landing.
Seen it dozens of times. Fun to be in SkyClubs when it happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.