Nut Allergy Early Boarding

Old Nov 8, 18, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Nut Allergy Early Boarding

Yes before anyone points it out this is American Airlines BUT if you read the article it says AA is the second airline and DL was the first.

I have never heard any GA announce on DL allergies board early, and never seen anyone most likely take advantage of it. (I only see wheelchairs and strollers for the most part preboard) Do you have to make some sort of arrangement with DL in advance or have people not caught on to this on DL? As I said it shocked me DL was mentioned as the first as this is the first I have heard of it.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/ameri...to-board-early
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:48 am

I believe it's there to give the passenger or companion time to wipe down the seat area.

But I give this no more than 30 posts before this is locked up.
HomeAgain likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I am actually asking a serious question in that how does DL handle this? As i said originally I have never seen anyone but wheelchairs and strollers go in pre board, and on the DL site you can check you have a nut allergy during booking. Has anyone ever seen anyone not with a stroller/wheelchair pre board that MIGHT be cleaning their seat? It says DL was first but it seems like DL has kept this pretty hidden.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I have a nut allergy that is pretty severe. On our recent flight, DL confirmed my nut allergy and on one flight, made an announcement asking passengers to refrain from eating nuts. On the other, nothing was said, but as one of the food choices contained nuts, they served me the other option before serving others. Nothing was said about boarding early to have time to wipe down anything.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Medallion
People with nut allergies can board early. Itís not typically proactively offered, but no one would stop you.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AA Gold, Alaska MVP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I have a nut allergy that is pretty severe. On our recent flight, DL confirmed my nut allergy and on one flight, made an announcement asking passengers to refrain from eating nuts. On the other, nothing was said, but as one of the food choices contained nuts, they served me the other option before serving others. Nothing was said about boarding early to have time to wipe down anything.
As someone with a peanut allergy, what is your thought on them not distributing peanuts on the plane? It seems silly to me given that there is no evidence that peanut consumption by people not siting next to a person with peanut allergy has any risk of causing an allergic reaction. I guess the only thing is making it so the FA doesn't accidentally distribute peanuts to people sitting next to you?
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: Spoiled by Skywards
Wanted to get my two cents IBTL.

Air Carrier Access Act allows for this sort of preboarding as long as you alert the GA prior to boarding.

Lawfully you donít even need to alert them as to why, and practically Delta doesnít make you even do it. Only AA has challenged me.

Delta has been great about their blanket ďextra time or assistance,Ē pledge to preboarding customers.

Deltaís been fabulous, but the most resistance has come from other passengers that lack knowledge of the law or may just be plain ignorant that preboarding isnít always a visible maladity.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:30 am
2018 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Delta should offer mounds on flights with a passenger with nut allergies.

BTW I was recently on a subway ride where someone was eating a bag of peanuts and a person started to have a reaction. I'd imagine a plane would be worst.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AA Gold, Alaska MVP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
Delta should offer mounds on flights with a passenger with nut allergies.

BTW I was recently on a subway ride where someone was eating a bag of peanuts and a person started to have a reaction. I'd imagine a plane would be worst.
Peanut allergies are triggered by the proteins found on the peanuts. These proteins do not persist in the air in quantities sufficient to trigger a reaction. A person must generally physically touch peanuts or peanut dust to have a realistic chance of having a reaction. A plane is no worse or better than a train in that regard. Risk is minimal unless a person is physically co-located to the peanut consumption in question.

The risk is just a high - if not higher - that a passenger on a previous plane had peanuts and left peanut reside at the person's seat (this is the idea behind wiping down the tray table).

No one will have a reaction from someone eating peanuts a few rows ahead or behind them.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you inform DL of a nut allergy, will DL require you to carry epipens?
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
As someone with a peanut allergy, what is your thought on them not distributing peanuts on the plane? It seems silly to me given that there is no evidence that peanut consumption by people not siting next to a person with peanut allergy has any risk of causing an allergic reaction. I guess the only thing is making it so the FA doesn't accidentally distribute peanuts to people sitting next to you?
If person A, sitting next to me, eats nuts, and then handles something, transfers a tiny bit of nut to it, and then I touch it, I can potentially have a reaction. For example, let's say they eat nuts, then handle the snack mix package that is going to me. They transfer a piece of nut to it. I open the package, getting the nut stuck to my hand, then consume it when I consume the snack mix. I have an allergic reaction. Or, if the FA eats something with nuts, and transfers a piece of it to a package, and then I get that package and eat the nut, I have an allergic reaction.
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Peanut allergies are triggered by the proteins found on the peanuts. These proteins do not persist in the air in quantities sufficient to trigger a reaction. A person must generally physically touch peanuts or peanut dust to have a realistic chance of having a reaction. A plane is no worse or better than a train in that regard. Risk is minimal unless a person is physically co-located to the peanut consumption in question.

The risk is just a high - if not higher - that a passenger on a previous plane had peanuts and left peanut reside at the person's seat (this is the idea behind wiping down the tray table).

No one will have a reaction from someone eating peanuts a few rows ahead or behind them.
The smell of nuts makes me nauseous, and my body's first line of defense when I eat something containing nuts is to make me vomit. While my nausea isn't an "allergic reaction" vomiting isn't fun, and can really ruin someone's enjoyment of eating nuts if I vomit near them.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If your allergy is serious, your concern isn't that the airline is going to require you to carry them. Your concern is that if you need to use them, you have enough to sustain your life until an emergency landing and medical treatment.
wrp96 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:51 pm

In a past life, an employee of mine had a severe peanut allergy (as in, she would die). When I traveled with her she would be afforded early boarding to wipe/clean the seat before sitting down. Obviously they also wouldn't serve peanuts on flights that she was on. She informed Delta of her allergy in the special assistance section that you probably skip right over when you book a ticket (I know I do).
Old Nov 8, 18, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
I am actually asking a serious question in that how does DL handle this? As i said originally I have never seen anyone but wheelchairs and strollers go in pre board, and on the DL site you can check you have a nut allergy during booking. Has anyone ever seen anyone not with a stroller/wheelchair pre board that MIGHT be cleaning their seat? It says DL was first but it seems like DL has kept this pretty hidden.
Yes...GA's "normally" will print out a list of special service requests when opening a flight. That way they will know number of wheelchairs...UMNR's...and the like. The list will show if anyone has listed a peanut allergy. The GA will notify the lead FA and mention that they will check with the person if they want to preboard to wipe down seat, tray table, etc. Usually, the GA will call the person up to the counter to see if they want to preboard. The only announcement is to alert the other passengers that there is a person with a peanut allergy.
Old Nov 8, 18, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
No....they don't.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: