Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut Allergy Early Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris
it seems like DL has kept this pretty hidden.
Doubt they are keeping it hidden. Passengers needing special assistance covers a lot.

Would you expect them to announce the reason each person needs extra time. Oh... they could do it as they are boarding like a talent show.... and miss Betty had a hip replacement last month at the young age of 83, George here is almost blind but still attractes the ladies and Jack has a peanut allergy.

Sorry, people are saying the thread will be closed, I thought I better get a laugh in first.

I for one am just glad there aren't nuts in the Delta cookies, so I can have those regardless of the flight being nut free.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
In a past life, an employee of mine had a severe peanut allergy (as in, she would die). When I traveled with her she would be afforded early boarding to wipe/clean the seat before sitting down. Obviously they also wouldn't serve peanuts on flights that she was on. She informed Delta of her allergy in the special assistance section that you probably skip right over when you book a ticket (I know I do).
You can also notify them of your nut allergy after you book your ticket. IIRC, there is a special assistance area there as well and that's what I used.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
My daughter has a severe nut allergy and she and my wife have been pre-boarding for years to wipe down the seat and tray table. We are appreciative of their accommodation although have encountered a few rolled eyes. I probably wouldn’t understand it as well either if it wasn’t my daughter, but the risk is real and those with children in this situation hear tragic stories all too often.

When you look at it like a 6 year old - she views what could be on her seat as cyanide. She know it won’t kill her on contact, but I bet you’d wipe it off the tray table before you ate.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I am not trying to be rude at all, but what did everyone do before this was allowed? Stay home?

I once flew BS on WN, and was A-1, the guy standing in front of me was going to board early with his son to wipe the seats down. On southwest, the airline known universally for peanuts. He said his kid was deathly allergic. I asked why southwest? He said it was cheaper.....

all I could think of was Darwin.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
It’s not rude, just ignorant.

Almost every action carries a personal risk calculation. Everyone’s threshold is different. Do you put a seatbelt on always? Drive a car in the pouring rain? Skip a flu shot? Go inside when lighting is in the area? All odds. Life experience makes out threshold different even though odds may the same. Flying with allergy is the same. Makes people feel better with the increased perceived odds to do something. The perceived decreases odds of reaction by wiping the seat is their choice. So is the known increased odds of flying southwest. I don’t and won’t with my daughter. Don’t judge.

Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I am not trying to be rude at all, but what did everyone do before this was allowed? Stay home?

I once flew BS on WN, and was A-1, the guy standing in front of me was going to board early with his son to wipe the seats down. On southwest, the airline known universally for peanuts. He said his kid was deathly allergic. I asked why southwest? He said it was cheaper.....

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:47 am

Read that Sementis (Australian firm), which is developing a vaccine to treat peanut allergy, has completed proof-of-concept studies for it.

If it's successful, we can perhaps soon be judging parents who refuse it for their children.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

My allergy has increased in severity as I've aged. When I was young, I could accidentally eat nuts, take prescription allergy meds, and sleep it off as the meds made me sleepy. As an adult, I've ended up in the hospital because of my allergy. I now carry Epi-Pens with me everywhere, especially on flights. I work two blocks from a hospital ER and I still have Epi-Pens with me at work. My coworkers know how to use them and are aware that it's not quite like Pulp Fiction.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I am actually asking a serious question in that how does DL handle this? As i said originally I have never seen anyone but wheelchairs and strollers go in pre board, and on the DL site you can check you have a nut allergy during booking. Has anyone ever seen anyone not with a stroller/wheelchair pre board that MIGHT be cleaning their seat? It says DL was first but it seems like DL has kept this pretty hidden.
You have to tell Delta at the gate. They will then make an announcment and allow you to board early to sanitize the area.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
https://patient.info/health/food-all...ce/nut-allergy

thought this link may help educate some people on the thread.
All the humour aside, I’ve seen my daughter hospitalised through her peanut allergy - and its not something I’d wish on anyone. The furor around this is incredible in my opinion. Bottom line, we all know people can die from this. Can we not be a little more tolerant - I can assure you, no-one with a peanut allergy is happy to have it - early boarding or not ...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by ethernal
Peanut allergies are triggered by the proteins found on the peanuts. These proteins do not persist in the air in quantities sufficient to trigger a reaction. A person must generally physically touch peanuts or peanut dust to have a realistic chance of having a reaction. A plane is no worse or better than a train in that regard. Risk is minimal unless a person is physically co-located to the peanut consumption in question.

The risk is just a high - if not higher - that a passenger on a previous plane had peanuts and left peanut reside at the person's seat (this is the idea behind wiping down the tray table).

No one will have a reaction from someone eating peanuts a few rows ahead or behind them.
I'm glad you posted this. For me, it's educational. And I have a question: is the protein also on the shell? And since you posted peanuts is the allergy the same for all nuts?

Lastly, how would I recognize the reaction (supposing I'm nearby) and what could I do to help?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davedimes
It’s not rude, just ignorant.

Almost every action carries a personal risk calculation. Everyone’s threshold is different. Do you put a seatbelt on always? Drive a car in the pouring rain? Skip a flu shot? Go inside when lighting is in the area? All odds. Life experience makes out threshold different even though odds may the same. Flying with allergy is the same. Makes people feel better with the increased perceived odds to do something. The perceived decreases odds of reaction by wiping the seat is their choice. So is the known increased odds of flying southwest. I don’t and won’t with my daughter. Don’t judge.

I have food allergies to where I carry epi-pens. Not to peanuts. If it was, I sure as hell would not fly southwest. I refer it to as personal responsibility that no one really wants to do it anymore. Fly an airline like Delta or one not know for flying you for peanuts!

I avoid the places or try to restrict where I go. But that’s just me. I exhibit personal responsibility, and try not to burden others with my personal poor choices.

But hey, I guess that make me ignorant.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I have food allergies to where I carry epi-pens. Not to peanuts. If it was, I sure as hell would not fly southwest. I refer it to as personal responsibility that no one really wants to do it anymore. Fly an airline like Delta or one not know for flying you for peanuts!
If the carrier says they will make accommodations for allergies, and has a way to request that in advance, then isn't requesting it in advance exactly the definition of taking steps to ensure your own comfort and health?

I avoid the places or try to restrict where I go. But that’s just me. I exhibit personal responsibility
Kinda sad that you so willingly accept a reduced range of life experience.

I'm curious, do you feel people in wheelchairs should exhibit personal responsibility and just avoid inaccessible public places, so that building owners don't have to be burdened with building ramps and elevators?

, and try not to burden others with my personal poor choices.

But hey, I guess that make me ignorant. [/left]
Ah, so you chose to have food allergies that require you to carry epi-pens? I'm sure I'm not the only one intrigued to hear the details behind that story.
pvn likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheBigRat
https://patient.info/health/food-all...ce/nut-allergy

thought this link may help educate some people on the thread.
All the humour aside, I’ve seen my daughter hospitalised through her peanut allergy - and its not something I’d wish on anyone. The furor around this is incredible in my opinion. Bottom line, we all know people can die from this. Can we not be a little more tolerant - I can assure you, no-one with a peanut allergy is happy to have it - early boarding or not ...
seriously, I don't understand why anyone with any semblance of humanity would be mad about this. It's not going to lengthen the boarding process (some number of people move from one group to another), and most of the people covered by this were almost certainly already pre-boarding anyway. Even if people "abuse" this and falsely claim a peanut allergy, it's not going to actually negatively impact anyone.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
If the carrier says they will make accommodations for allergies, and has a way to request that in advance, then isn't requesting it in advance exactly the definition of taking steps to ensure your own comfort and health?
This gets to an interesting point of law in the Air Carrier Access Act: carriers can't require advance notice of disability (with exceptions for providing some services, like oxygen). If Delta is moving to treat peanut allergies as a disability there will be specific legal obligations.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:03 pm
Suspended

The point your missing is don’t fly the airline known for peanuts! Cough up a couple extra bucks and avoid that airline.

But it if you choose not to avoid certain things, that can easily be avoided, then it’s Darwinism. FFS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.