Search

Diamond or not to Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Diamond or not to Diamond

Hey folks, but awhile.

So here I am, been Platinum for 18 years straight. This year crossed 125,000 in July for the first time, but with the new AmEx exemption, I've been sitting around $2000 short of the $15k spend (made my $25k AmEx spend by April).

I'm at about 138k miles right now. A few flights left in the year and will be very close to the $15k spend, but can use pay with miles to stay below if I wish.

So, the big question: Do I ask for an exemption now? Do I just buy myself over the threshold in December with tickets? Do I not and keep the Platinum for another year and take a huge rollover?

I almost always buy discounted F tickets - so it isn't about upgrades. The significant difference in Mendelian Choice Benefits looks nice.

Always value your opinions - let 'er rip!

-=tg=-
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you fly internationally? If so, do you buy F, and if not, are you somewhat flexible on days and routings?

If you're yes-no-yes, the GUCs can be pretty nice.

Otherwise, maybe hold those MQMs for a rollover.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I was a Charter Diamond plus the next year. Since then, while I have significant international bis, I have rolled over miles each year and stayed Plat. GUC’s are great IF you buy YBM and IF you can manage to apply them.

YMMV
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
At 18 years Plat, do you need to rollover 60-70k miles? Get the D
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by In2ishn
I was a Charter Diamond plus the next year. Since then, while I have significant international bis, I have rolled over miles each year and stayed Plat. GUC’s are great IF you buy YBM and IF you can manage to apply them.

YMMV
This is out of date. It's been years and years since GUCs required Y B M fares on DL operated flights.

Personally, I don't see the value of accumulating a stash of rollover MQMs since DL could eliminate them at any point or up the MQD requirements to make them worthless (which has already happened somewhat with DL's decision to raise the AmEx MQD waiver for DM to $250,000).
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is out of date. It's been years and years since GUCs required Y B M fares on DL operated flights.

Personally, I don't see the value of accumulating a stash of rollover MQMs since DL could eliminate them at any point or up the MQD requirements to make them worthless (which has already happened somewhat with DL's decision to raise the AmEx MQD waiver for DM to $250,000).
My bad. Thanks for update.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

I think so too. I'd grab the bird in the hand.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

OK, I think the DM might be worth it. How was it that people were requesting a one-time waiver of the AmEx $$$$$$$ spend?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Call and ask
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Delta is kind of a big company - was there someone or phone number in particular to call?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
You win the thread. I've never understood those that choose to sandbag and stay at a lower level. However, I won't complain. I like the upgrades.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tgtg
Delta is kind of a big company - was there someone or phone number in particular to call?
Call the PM line and ask for Ed but be prepared to wait a while. I understand the hold time is ~2-3 days depending on time of day you call
In2ishn likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HDQDD
You win the thread. I've never understood those that choose to sandbag and stay at a lower level. However, I won't complain. I like the upgrades.
Agreed!!

Originally Posted by cre95
Call the PM line and ask for Ed but be prepared to wait a while. I understand the hold time is ~2-3 days depending on time of day you call
I think you win the thread! That was hysterical!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95
Is DL trying to copy Starriott? Maybe if they succeed, the crossover benefit will be restored.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:17 pm

Is DL trying to copy Starriott? Maybe if they succeed, the crossover benefit will be restored.
That would be nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.