Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help with Delta Vacations (MLT Vacations)

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

This past Thursday, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. On Saturday, I began having problems with the side effects of the biopsy.

We have a Delta vacation scheduled for this Sunday to Lisbon. Well, there is no way I can go for physical reasons I will not detail here.

So I called Delta (MLT) Vacations thinking they could help me. In the past, Delta Airlines was very helpful during medical situations. MLT was useless. They would not consider doing anything and said I would have to forfeit the $1500+ paid for the vacation. Period. No exceptions for medical reasons.

When I pointed out the receipt said, "this ticket is changeable up to departure/refundable up to ten days prior to departure. o.k., I just missed the ten day deadline, so I asked about changing the dates. After a long hold, the agent came back and said I could change dates, but the fee would be more than $1100.

I assume MLT is basically independent of Delta since I would have expected something better form mainstream Delta.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to proceed, or have I been hit with a double whammy?

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Check with your credit card. You may have some type of coverage for cancellations due to medical reasons.
I assume you did not purchase any trip insurance.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Check with your credit card. You may have some type of coverage for cancellations due to medical reasons.
I assume you did not purchase any trip insurance.
A good suggestion... I will give it a try, though I'm not very hopeful.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yogimax
This past Thursday, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. On Saturday, I began having problems with the side effects of the biopsy.

We have a Delta vacation scheduled for this Sunday to Lisbon. Well, there is no way I can go for physical reasons I will not detail here.

So I called Delta (MLT) Vacations thinking they could help me. In the past, Delta Airlines was very helpful during medical situations. MLT was useless. They would not consider doing anything and said I would have to forfeit the $1500+ paid for the vacation. Period. No exceptions for medical reasons.

When I pointed out the receipt said, "this ticket is changeable up to departure/refundable up to ten days prior to departure. o.k., I just missed the ten day deadline, so I asked about changing the dates. After a long hold, the agent came back and said I could change dates, but the fee would be more than $1100.

I assume MLT is basically independent of Delta since I would have expected something better form mainstream Delta.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to proceed, or have I been hit with a double whammy?

Thanks!
On the trip confirmation on delta, depending on how close to departure you are, there should still be an option to purchase trip insurance. Is Sunday the 11th? You might have the option.

If this were Delta.dumb, they would likely give you the option to cancel with zero change fees but as delta vacations is actually not affiliated with delta, you may be out of luck. I would try all options and hung up call again...as some supervisors find their heart while on the phone call.

This shouldnt need said, but if they say NO, you can't get angry because after all, they are following protocol.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:20 pm

Purchasing the insurance now... Be careful. You might be able to purchase it, but the "pre-existing" condition might be problematic. As a frequent purchaser of trip insurance on my "bigger" trips (European cruises, week in London at a rental house, etc) I have utilized it a couple of times. Most recently almost had to because of PE (blood clots in lungs) in Dec 2017, with the London trip planned in July 2018. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
...as delta vacations is actually not affiliated with delta...
delta vacations is a wholly owned subsidiary of delta airlines, fwiw
Widgets likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gitismatt
delta vacations is a wholly owned subsidiary of delta airlines, fwiw
Okay. Fair. You're right but in terms of what you can do, you might as well be booking with expedia/priceline. Delta employees cannot touch the reservations with a 100 foot pole
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Trip cancellation insurance is an option to avoid last minute cancellations on tours, cruises, etc. due to covered reasons. Airline tickets while nonrefundable, are re-usable for a fee. Delta can make decisions to waive fees on airline tickets because it is their product. They don't have to take into account other entities. Tours, cruises and similar things involve other entities that expect to be paid. They are not in business to make exceptions for people's personal issues. It is a risk you take when you do not buy insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances. I think WorldVacations insurance can be purchased anytime up to final payment. They also have "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Not sure that any insurance company will sell a policy when they know they will for sure have to pay out (pre-existing conditions). I know at least one cruise line (Regent) that will not cover pre-existing conditions no mater when you purchase their coverage.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think WorldVacations insurance can be purchased anytime up to final payment. They also have "cancel for any reason" coverage.
What is World Vacations Insurance?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM

Travel Protection Plan and Travel Protection Plan Plus

Travel Protection Plan and Travel Protection Plan Plus

Why Travel Protection?

Your vacation is an investment of time and money. Delta Vacations, in conjunction with Trip Mate, the foremost provider of travel protection plans and travel insurance, may assure their investment, themselves, and their family are protected. While they plan ahead to ensure their vacation experience is everything they expect it to be, our travel protection plans take care of the unexpected—lost luggage, medical care needed while on their trip, or unforeseen circumstances that might require them to cancel their trip at the last minute.

Plan Options At a Glance

We offer 2 travel protection options to choose from:
  • Travel Protection Plan — offering basic coverage
  • Travel Protection Plan PLUS — a more extensive comprehensive option—including all of the benefits with the Travel Protection Plan—PLUS a lowest price guarantee, more convenient method of payment on refunds, and more
View the full details of the provisions of the Travel Protection Plan, including group exclusions and how to file a claim. This information will also be included in your travel documents.Travel Protection Plan PLUSTravel Protection PlanLowest price guaranteeYesNoCancel for any reasonYesYesRefund of cancellation feesReceived in the original form of payment1Received in the form of a Delta Vacations voucher2Documentation requiredNoNoPurchase periodMay be purchased any time prior to final payment1May be purchased any time prior to final payment2Commission protectionYes, up to $100 on cancelled bookings that were paid in full and were scheduled to earn at least $100 before cancellationYes, up to $100 on cancelled
bookings that were paid in full and
were scheduled to earn at least
$100 before cancellationAvailable for GroupsNoYes3For complete details go to:www.tripmate.com/wpF409N
www.tripmate.com/wpF409B1The Cash Back refund option, coverage of pre-existing conditions and Price Protection only applies if the Travel Protection Plan Plus is purchased within seven (7) days of your initial deposit for your trip (and for pre-existing conditions, must not be disabled from travel at the time the plan is purchased).
2The Cancel For Any Reason Waiver and coverage of pre-existing conditions applies only if the Travel Protection Plan is purchased within seven (7) days of your initial deposit for your trip and must not be disabled from travel at the time the plan is purchased.
3Not all group passengers are required to purchase travel protection, but all passengers in the same room are required to.

Travel Protection Plan

With the Travel Protection Plan, your clients are provided with pre- and post-departure coverage.

Cancel For Any Reason Waiver (provided by Delta Vacations)

• The standard coverage of the Travel Protection Plan protects the cost of their vacation and protects them from most cancellation penalties. Also, they can cancel for any reason and have peace of mind knowing that their travel investment is protected. They must cancel before their scheduled departure.
  • The Cancel For Any Reason Waiver is provided by Delta Vacations and is not an insurance benefit underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company.

Post-Departure Coverage (Underwritten by US Fire Insurance Company)

In addition to Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation, the plan includes other benefits to help protect them from the unexpected during their vacation, such as:
  • Medical and emergency assistance — includes benefits up to $25,000 for medical expenses, emergency medical transportation, and 24-hour emergency assistance service for illness or injury during the trip.
  • Post-departure trip interruption — covers up to the original cost of their trip when they must interrupt their trip or return home early for covered reasons, such as sickness, injury, or other covered reasons.
  • Travel delay — pays up to $100 per day for meals and accommodations when they are delayed on their trip for 12 hours or more.
  • Baggage delay — reimburses them up to $250 for clothing and personal items if their luggage is delayed more than 24 hours.
  • Loss or damage to baggage or personal effects — covers up to $2,500 for loss or damage to baggage or personal effects that occur during the trip.
Please Note:
  • If purchased, everyone on the booking must purchase the Travel Protection Plan.
  • The cost of the Travel Protection Plan is only refunded for cancellations covered by the hurricane policy (or within the state required free look period).
  • Refer to Delta Vacations Cancellation & Change Policy for penalty and refund details.
  • Certain restrictions apply to groups booked with our Group Department.
  • Certain items may not be refundable, such as show or event tickets, theme park passes, etc.

Travel Protection Plan PLUS

With this option, your clients receive all of the benefits with the Travel Protection Plan (listed in the chart above) PLUS:
  • They'll receive the refund of the cost of their vacation package AND cancellation fees in the form of their original payment should they need to cancel their vacation for any reason (less the cost of the protection plan)
  • Receive the lowest price guarantee
  • You'll receive commission protection of up to $100 on bookings that cancel, as long as they are paid in full and were scheduled to earn at least $100 before cancellation

Lowest Price Guarantee (Provided by Delta Vacations)

If Delta Vacations advertises an identical vacation at a lower price, Delta Vacations will guarantee that price. The advertised vacation must be available and include the same air components (including air fare class), hotel and room category, and any other previously purchased components, including the Travel Protection Plan PLUS. Refunds for the difference in the package price will be issued in the original form of payment.

Below, is information on how to request the lowest price guarantee along with lowest price guarantee terms and conditions.

To request lowest price guarantee 10 days or more before departure:

• Create a new reservation with lower price and place on hold.
  • Note: Some reservations may require confirmation with a credit card.
  • Contact Delta Vacations at 1-800-727-1111, 6:00am - 11:00pm CST.
  • If the new reservation qualifies, the travelers will receive confirmation of the new reservation at the adjusted price. Previous reservation will be refunded to the original form of payment.

To request lowest price guarantee within 10 days of departure:

• Create a new reservation and confirm with credit card.
  • Contact Delta Vacations at 1-800-727-1111, 6:00am - 11:00pm CST.
  • If the new reservation qualifies, the travelers will receive confirmation of the new reservation at the adjusted price. Previous reservation will be refunded to the original form of payment.

Travel Protection PLUS and Lowest Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions

• The Travel Protection Plan PLUS cannot be applied to Miles to Go or upgraded bookings.
  • Lowest price guarantee is on the total package price, not component to component.
  • All components must be available at the time of the new reservation.
  • Lowest price guarantee must be on the exact same vacation package including the same dates, air components (including air fare class), hotel and room category, and any other previously purchased components, including the Travel Protection Plan PLUS.
  • Lowest price guarantee is allowed to be used only one time per booking and may be exercised up to the time of departure.
  • Promotional codes applied to the original reservation must be valid at the time of the lowest price guarantee request to maintain promotional code discount. If the promotional code is no longer valid, a new promotional code can be applied, as long as all terms and conditions are met.
  • Lowest price guarantee does not apply to group reservations.
  • Lowest price guarantee cannot be purchased separately and is only available through the Travel Protection Plan PLUS program.
  • Delta Vacations is the final authority on the interpretation of these rules and reserves the right to change these terms and conditions without prior notice.
INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW: Benefits on this page are described on a general basis only. There are certain restrictions, exclusions (including a Pre-Existing Conditions Exclusion) and limitations that apply to all insurance coverages. This advertisement does not constitute or form any part of the Plan description or any other contract of any kind. Plan benefits, limits and provisions may vary by state jurisdiction. To review full plan details online, go to:
Trip Mate | Plan Documents for the Travel Protection Plan or www.tripmate.comwpF409N for the Travel Protection Plan Plus. Plan Payments are made up of Insurance Benefits and Non-Insurance Services.

Louisiana, Maryland, and Oklahoma residents looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Trip Mate at 1-800-888-7292.

Insurance Benefits are underwritten by: United States Fire Insurance Company, 5 Christopher Way, 2nd Flr, Eatontown, NJ 07724 under Policy Form Series T210.The Cancellation Fee Waiver is not insurance underwritten by US Fire and is provided by Delta Vacations. Non-Insurance Services are not insurance benefits underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company. One Call 24-Hour Assistance Services are provided by One Call Worldwide Travel Services Network, Global Xpi Medical Records Services are provided by Trip Mate.

Plan Administrator: Trip Mate, Inc. (in CA & UT, dba Trip Mate Insurance Agency) 9225 Ward Parkway, Suite 200, Kansas City, MO 64114, 1-800-888-7292.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Sadly, final payment was months ago.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a specific pre-existing condition eexclusion in the policy summary cut & pasted above.

As one might imagine, nobody would purchase insurance until after an unfortunate event has occurred if they could wait.

Rather than relying just on CC's, OP should also look at homeowners (which sometimes has a few extra coverages) and any other insurance policies as well as anything his employer has for work-related travel because some of those policies provide coverage for certain non-work related travel as well. I would simply scour anything that exists.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:02 pm

Note. When you are looking at trip insurance policies, Pre-Existing Condition waivers exist. However, you must purchase the policy within 7-10 days of initial (first) trip deposit.

Also, I "add" to my policy $$ as I book components. ONLY covering non-refundable parts of my trip. Its quiet a learning experience, but if I need that pre-existing waiver, I make sure I purchase some amount of coverage (bare minimum, say 500.00) as soon as I make first payment of anything, and then add to it as I go along. Its complicated, but I've learned a lot over the years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.