Worth going for GM 2019?

Old Nov 3, 18, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Worth going for GM 2019?

Currently a 2018 GM, but will be roughly 12-15,000 MQMs short of Gold by Dec. 31 with my current travel plans. Iíve met the spend requirement on DL Amex, so MQMs are only concern.

Worth going for Gold by end of year via mileage runs, or stick with silver next year? Iíve really enjoyed the GM benefits vs. FO, so dropping so Silver is a hard pill to swallow

Old Nov 3, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Stay as GM is certainly nice. If you are interested in getting a credit card, you can get 10k MQM through Delta reserve: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...delta-reserve/ or 5k MQM through the Platinum card.
Old Nov 3, 18, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
If you travel internationally Gold is worth the stretch for the lounge access alone.
MountainGuy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:07 pm

Questions you need to consider are how much you plan to travel next year, your travel patterns and the value of incremental benefits you will receive vs cost of mileage runs. You will probably spend around $500 minimum to get the mqms you need. I have flown 26 segments this year and 15 to go and included in that 15 a mileage run to get the MQD I need (a few hundred $ short). I have already nearly recovered that amount in SDC/SDS fee waivers and lounge access for international flights. Plus I (and companions) have received many upgrades to F/C+ I would not have received if I was FO. With my travel patterns, I would spend that amount.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Where do you normally travel??
Old Nov 3, 18, 9:56 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hjz131 View Post
Stay as GM is certainly nice. If you are interested in getting a credit card, you can get 10k MQM through Delta reserve: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...delta-reserve/ or 5k MQM through the Platinum card.
OP already has DL Amex card as noted by Amex Waiver. NYC-JNB is available from $761 roundtrip (CPT's a bit more at around $870). It's overkill, but there's a no-man's land between 12K and 20K MQM's where there's frequently no price difference between the two so you might as well go for 20K and rollover the extra MQM's. You can also goose your RDM, MQM, and MQD earn by booking VS Economy Delight to JNB. While the extra MQD will be of no value to OP, there's a 25% MQM bonus plus you will earn a good deal more RDM's. These are available from $985 roundtrip.
kylep1256 likes this.

Last edited by LBJ; Nov 3, 18 at 10:10 pm
Old Nov 4, 18, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
Where do you normally travel??
Normally domestic travel, typically all for pleasure. Iíve seen quite a few upgrades as a GM this year, including D1 Upgrades transcon from JFK-SFO.
Old Nov 4, 18, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
OP already has DL Amex card as noted by Amex Waiver. NYC-JNB is available from $761 roundtrip (CPT's a bit more at around $870). It's overkill, but there's a no-man's land between 12K and 20K MQM's where there's frequently no price difference between the two so you might as well go for 20K and rollover the extra MQM's. You can also goose your RDM, MQM, and MQD earn by booking VS Economy Delight to JNB. While the extra MQD will be of no value to OP, there's a 25% MQM bonus plus you will earn a good deal more RDM's. These are available from $985 roundtrip.
Thanks for this. I have considered getting myself within 10K MQMs and Ďbuying upí in December. But if I recall right, those prices are usually in the thousands when I could do a mileage run for much less
Old Nov 4, 18, 9:15 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kylep1256 View Post

Thanks for this. I have considered getting myself within 10K MQMs and ‘buying up’ in December. But if I recall right, those prices are usually in the thousands when I could do a mileage run for much less
Looking at last year's buy-up offers (which vary with status level), the price to buy 10K MQM's in order to get Gold was typically $1395. If all you need is 10K MQM's, you could do a couple roundtrip's on JFK-SFO (5172 MQM's) for $306.80 each (V fares), or $246.80 each (E fares) if you don't mind Basic Economy. Beware, these have a 3 week advance purchase requirement and you will only find inventory through around mid-December (when V bucket typically dries up due to holiday travel demand), so the window to book these is closing rapidly. Procrastinators who wait until late November to book will have few reasonably priced options available.
Old Nov 4, 18, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
This year I've cycled through FO, GM and PM. I found GM a huge step above FO. My upgrade percentage doubled, I got better C+ seats, earned slightly more miles and found agents were friendlier and more helpful when I needed them.

That said, if you don't think you can keep it next year I wouldn't spend the money on it now. It's only worth it if you're going to travel frequently.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
This year I've cycled through FO, GM and PM. I found GM a huge step above FO. My upgrade percentage doubled, I got better C+ seats, earned slightly more miles and found agents were friendlier and more helpful when I needed them.

That said, if you don't think you can keep it next year I wouldn't spend the money on it now. It's only worth it if you're going to travel frequently.
Agreed. It really depends on your travel patterns.
Old Nov 4, 18, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
12-15k is quite short, would agree that it depends if 50k/yr is more your norm then go for it but if you usually fly less than that but benefit every few yrs from rollover (that's my current case this year having plat, i'm usually gold) just stick w/ silver... i'll be ~3k short of PM this year but won't push for the extra as i only really need/appreciate the STE+ lounge access and occasional extra bag most for my travel patterns and will bank the rollover instead

i'm taking full advantage of free award redeposit as a PM here at the end of the year though (waiting on family to solidify xmas plans but flights are already quite expensive so have booked award tickets for a few potential options), so if GM specifically for next year makes sense (e.g., some planned international Y travel where lounge access would be nice) then i would say it's worth it
Old Nov 4, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I think you've got the message already, which is if you plan to use GM bennies next year, then it's totally worth it. While you did indicate a Delta Amex in your arsenal, if you don't want to fly, you can get another Delta Amex for MQMs. Like add Reserve if you have Platinum, or Business if you have personal. Me, I'd go to JNB or SIN in the next month!