Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I need 11000 Delta MQM run by end of year. Suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Need 11000 Delta MQMs by end of year, departing ATL. I have two trips scheduled. Best is weekends in December. Ideas/ Thoughts?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Christmas in Rome in Delta One? ATL-FCO should earn 10000x1.5 that way.
jalves likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Gig103
Christmas in Rome in Delta One? ATL-FCO should earn 10000x1.5 that way.
Sho nuff! And it’ll only cost OP $10K.

Bargains galore!
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Sho nuff! And it’ll only cost OP $10K.

Bargains galore!
Delta makes D1 dirt cheap around the holidays. While you could have gotten them cheaper earlier in the year, a round trip Y ticket from ATL to FCO costs $2400. If you're willing to connect in JFK (+2 hours), D1 costs only $2940 (+$540) round trip.

Delta will do anything to avoid giving a seat away as a GUC or as a SkyMile redemption. Delta will try to charge you 470K miles for the same trip, giving you a great value of around .6 cents per mile.
TheHorta, vincentharris and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
Delta makes D1 dirt cheap around the holidays. While you could have gotten them cheaper earlier in the year, a round trip Y ticket from ATL to FCO costs $2400. If you're willing to connect in JFK (+2 hours), D1 costs only $2940 (+$540) round trip.

Delta will do anything to avoid giving a seat away as a GUC or as a SkyMile redemption. Delta will try to charge you 470K miles for the same trip, giving you a great value of around .6 cents per mile.
But a roundtrip ticket from a non-DL hub, that isn't ATL and also isn't a nonstop, to FCO, is likely to be much less than $2400. Europe in November and December is selling as low as $450+ in main cabin to/from some cities. Comparing that to your $2940 example, it is significantly less while being a fairer comparison (as it adds in a connection).
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

Get a Delta Reserve Business card before 11/7 and spend $3,000 on it to get 10,000 MQMs plus 70,000 Skymiles. Then take any 1-2 DL flights for 1,000 MQMs.
TheHorta and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
But a roundtrip ticket from a non-DL hub, that isn't ATL and also isn't a nonstop, to FCO, is likely to be much less than $2400. Europe in November and December is selling as low as $450+ in main cabin to/from some cities. Comparing that to your $2940 example, it is significantly less while being a fairer comparison (as it adds in a connection).
Those fare sales you reference always exclude Christmas time. If you want to fly to Rome (or most of Europe) over Christmas booking < 60 days in, you'll expect to pay around $2k (assuming you're flying a traditional airline - although I'll note that even airlines like Norwegian will run $1200+ for this time of year). Booking farther in advance and watching prices closely you might snag a fare for $1.5K.

See below for the lowest Y fares on a traditional (i.e., not LCC) for a Dec 22 - Jan 2 flight (these aren't specially selected, they're all about the same regardless of whether you fly out the 21st, 23rd, or return the 31st or 1st).

All of the below are the cheapest connecting flights with reasonable (i.e. no 10 hour layovers) in cities known for hyper-competitive fares:
NYC: $1.6K (SAS - flying an American carrier is $1.9K+)
ORD: $1.4K (SAS - flying an American carrier is $2.1K+)
LAX: $1.9K (or if you want to save $100 you can fly Norwegian non-stop for $1.8K)

For airports more like ATL (single dominant carrier) with up to 1 connection:
IAH: $2.2K
DTW: $1.9K
DFW: $2.1K
PHX: $2.2K
PHL: $1.9K

When your base price is $2K, $2.9K for business is an absolute steal. No other airline discounts its J product like Delta does in order to fill the seats (while charging the most expensive rates for award redemption - as I said, anything to stop a GUC or a SkyMile redemption from going through).

Last edited by ethernal; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
China?

Delta to China — either PVG or PEK — is probably cheaper in coach than Europe — even factoring in the cost of a China visa with rush processing. The visa is good for ten years if you request it.

If flying coach thru Seattle, then the Delta 767’s are nice over the ocean because of the 2-xxxx-2 seating. Pick a side bench.

Been to PEK mid-winter. It’s cold, but I personally think the mid-summer heat is worse.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yep I was also thinking about that. Round trip from ATL to PVG in coach is already 14k MQM. The cheapest ticket I ever got was around $700 round trip.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Try Lima, Peru

You can do what I am going to do. Look for D1 to Lima. You will need to connect into ATL. Look at Chattanooga, Huntsville, Birmingham, etc. Fly out early afternoon on a Saturday, return around noon Sunday. Typically less than 24 hours. I have CVG-LIM in Nov. Ticket was $2200, and I used Pay with Miles to reduce out of pocket. Will load up on Netflix and Amazon shows. Yield 11067 MQMs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Delta to China — either PVG or PEK — is probably cheaper in coach than Europe — even factoring in the cost of a China visa with rush processing. The visa is good for ten years if you request it.

If flying coach thru Seattle, then the Delta 767’s are nice over the ocean because of the 2-xxxx-2 seating. Pick a side bench.

Been to PEK mid-winter. It’s cold, but I personally think the mid-summer heat is worse.
PVG is worse in the heat, and WUH even more so.

However, part of the problem is that historically at least China drew a line across the country and declared that most buildings north of the line would have (only) heat and most buildings south of the line (only) AC, with major international hotels and some newer buildings for foreigner housing, government offices, etc. being exceptions.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PVG is worse in the heat, and WUH even more so.

However, part of the problem is that historically at least China drew a line across the country and declared that most buildings north of the line would have (only) heat and most buildings south of the line (only) AC, with major international hotels and some newer buildings for foreigner housing, government offices, etc. being exceptions.
That's totally true. Shanghai winter is also miserable tho, cold and humid. But November should be probably OK.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Bowgie
You might also be able to use Shanghai's visa-free policy for up to 144 hours -- just need to be able to show an onward ticket to a third country, so change through, say, Incheon on your way back.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is the rule, but DL agents tend to have their own "beliefs" that everyone traveling to/through mainland China needs a visa, regardless of the TWOV rules and having a TWOV compliant itinerary. It's frustrating, but DL refuses to recognize when they're wrong on something like this, which is major. They claim to have "their own version of TIMATIC."
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I only need 23,245 more MQMs and $2,862 MQDs to make Silver Medallion so I can become Elite.

Any recommendations?

I’m thinking a few HSV>BHM mileage runs.
DiverDave and olegator like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.