Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to expect with DL scheduling changes?

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

I thought there was a master "DL schedule changes" thread, but couldn't find it. Mods if there is one, feel free to move it over.

I understand DL updates their schedules over the weekend. I'm wondering if there's any insight on what kinds of changes are expected? I typically fly 2x/yr RT PVG-CAK. DL had great schedule/price, which had me flying PVG-DTW-CAK with a 3 hour layover (enough to get through immigration/customs/etc and not worrying about China's everlasting flight delays) and getting me in at a decent time. I know it's not much, but it is enough to get me FO. Unfortunately DL is ending the DTW-CAK route at the end of this month, leaving me with bad scheduling options for future trips.

At one point I saw PVG-ATL-CAK as a viable option, with a 1:25 layover. It's cutting it close, but if I were to make it, I'd get in at ~4pm. But that came and went quickly, and that connection would now be 1:14, an illegal connection at ATL. Next flight is 7 hours later; getting in at 11pm! Is it worth it holding out for possible schedule changes to make this flight worth it? Or should I jump ship and take another carrier which offers better scheduling? Would rather not bounce around carriers/rewards programs so quickly. Also, I know CLE is close, but I would much prefer flying in/out of CAK.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Welcome to FT!

I happen to be familiar with the schedule change thread, so I have the link handy for you. Moderators may move this on your behalf.
Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

I do not have any great advice for you. Often times you can find more expensive, advantageous, and maybe even partner routes. But not knowing your dates I picked a random one in February and see that even the Korean Air and China Southern partners can't help you get to CAK any sooner (they all add a stop and still get you to the same ATL-CAK flight).

Also, you might not be doing better with other airlines - I'm on Google Flights and the shortest route (UA PVG-EWR-CAK) is still arriving in Akron at 11pm. But with your exact dates you can confirm that.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:16 pm

Schedule changes have worked out very well for me. 60 minutes+ you get a free change. 90 minutes+ you can get a refund. Research all of the options before you call in. Select 1-2 that you prefer and ask for these. Saves time putting the agent on the spot to figure out alternatives.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You'll go crazy trying to predict schedule changes. Just recognize that they occur - and that those that create a misconnect or >90 minute change to arrival or departure time present an opportunity for a routing tune-up or a refund.

The end of the DTW-CAK services really hoses you. You mentioned you like CAK better but PVG-CLE still has good, time-efficient routings both PVG-DTW-CLE and PVG-ATL-CLE.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Schedule changes have worked out very well for me. 60 minutes+ you get a free change. 90 minutes+ you can get a refund. Research all of the options before you call in. Select 1-2 that you prefer and ask for these. Saves time putting the agent on the spot to figure out alternatives.
have no idea of official policy, but in practice a schedule change far more minor than 60 minutes is quite sufficient to get your pick of any flight same-day, without regard to discounted inventory availability. in fact, i recommend to always request such a change to get booking class changed I/Z to J and thus earn 400% into VS rather than 200%.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You'll go crazy trying to predict schedule changes. Just recognize that they occur ....
With close to 6000 flights per day... trying to guess at this stuff can drive you crazy. LOL!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: DL, UA
I feel your pain

CAK is my home airport, too, and I am utterly shocked that Delta would remove all flights between DTW and CAK. They were so necessary as a reliever for the flights to ATL, were always full, and helped make Delta useful to me for flights to the northeast.

I sure hope we’re not witnessing the drawdown and eventual closing of CAK by Delta.

That being said I now need to use CLE for far more of my DL travel. It’s about 45 minutes to parking outside Hopkins for me versus 25 minutes from my home to CAK. Yes, I know, first world problems, but it was nice while it lasted.

Skycubbie
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by skycubbie
CAK is my home airport, too, and I am utterly shocked that Delta would remove all flights between DTW and CAK. They were so necessary as a reliever for the flights to ATL, were always full, and helped make Delta useful to me for flights to the northeast.

I sure hope we’re not witnessing the drawdown and eventual closing of CAK by Delta.

That being said I now need to use CLE for far more of my DL travel. It’s about 45 minutes to parking outside Hopkins for me versus 25 minutes from my home to CAK. Yes, I know, first world problems, but it was nice while it lasted.

Skycubbie
I'm sad about losing DTW-CAK as well even coming from BNA, it's an easier connection than going through ATL.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin

have no idea of official policy, but in practice a schedule change far more minor than 60 minutes is quite sufficient to get your pick of any flight same-day, without regard to discounted inventory availability. in fact, i recommend to always request such a change to get booking class changed I/Z to J and thus earn 400% into VS rather than 200%.
I didn't know you could do this. I'm guessing you'd have to pay the fare difference between classes?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skycubbie

Skycubbie
I agree! The travel difference is greater for me (20 mins vs. ~70 mins) plus the size of CAK makes it much more convenient to fly in/out of. I also hope that CAK isn't closing, IIRC they're still in the middle of their $110M expansion project. I hope they didn't put too much money into it. Fortunately UA and AA still have a decent number of flights.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by navarre007
I agree! The travel difference is greater for me (20 mins vs. ~70 mins) plus the size of CAK makes it much more convenient to fly in/out of. I also hope that CAK isn't closing, IIRC they're still in the middle of their $110M expansion project. I hope they didn't put too much money into it. Fortunately UA and AA still have a decent number of flights.
I don't think they meant CAK closing completely, but the potential for them to lose all Delta service. Being honest, it doesn't make much sense to staff the airport for maybe 3 daily flights to ATL. Maybe they could add a LGA flight? If DTW didn't work, there's no way MSP would... It just seems so weird to cut DTW, but I'm not an airline employee!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:59 am

That’s exactly what I meant: it sure appears that Delta is beginning the drawdown of all Delta service into CAK in favour of consolidating NE Ohio service in CLE. I doubt they would do this unless enough numbers were crunched that it made more sense to support one NE Ohio station versus two only 30 miles apart from the other.

Had Southwest remained in CAK this likely wouldn’t be happening.

In a way this is not unlike Delta’s abandoning Toledo due to its proximity to DTW several years ago.

Ditching CAK for CLE isn't quite the same thing as ending service to Toledo. Flyers from Toledo were expected to drive an hour up I-75 to a Delta hub with 455 flights to 127 destinations. (Whether or not DL improved profitability with former TOL flyers I can't say.) That same thing appears to be playing out with FNT service reductions, too. FNT-DTW is long gone, and they have announced the end of FNT-MSP. FNT-MSP to be Discontinued 12/18

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:03 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Parent lives in Green right there at the airport. Probably 10min drive max to them from CAK. Sucks that they are getting rid of the DTW route. Southwest is pulling out too? I mean I thought United has been bumbling the CLE being a "hub" thing and CAK could capitalize. Guess not.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Well, following the CLE de-hubbing by UA, CAK has gained nonstops to EWR and IAH. AA has added nonstops to LGA and ORD.

That being said I’m still confounded why DL would pull the plug on legacy NW service to their DTW hub from CAK. That the money to DL wasn’t there I find very difficult to believe.

Of course, I’m not privy to those numbers. Still, though, the pull down makes no sense.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by CloneCones
Parent lives in Green right there at the airport. Probably 10min drive max to them from CAK. Sucks that they are getting rid of the DTW route. Southwest is pulling out too? I mean I thought United has been bumbling the CLE being a "hub" thing and CAK could capitalize. Guess not.
Southwest has been gone since last year. Allegiant left for CLE as well. I have no clue why CAK is expanding. Maybe they hope a new terminal will bring airlines back or expand?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.