Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying to optimize a mix of companion + upgrade certificates for 3 people

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Hey there all,

Ok, here is a game for you:
  1. 3 x people flying transcontinental on Delta One equipped plane
  2. 1 x Companion certificate available
  3. 4 x PM Upgrade certificate available (so enough for 2 people)
Target:
  1. Pay only 2 Economy tickets, using companion ticket for the 3rd
  2. Have at least 2 of the party fly in Delta One, and if possible the 3rd in Economy+ even if that means paying a little more
Now, how the heck do you optimize this?
This is driving me mad, I can't even find reliably if you can use an upgrade certificate on the paid seat of the companion pair

Thanks a lot
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Blackfox
Hey there all,

Ok, here is a game for you:
  1. 3 x people flying transcontinental on Delta One equipped plane
  2. 1 x Companion certificate available
  3. 4 x PM Upgrade certificate available (so enough for 2 people)
Target:
  1. Pay only 2 Economy tickets, using companion ticket for the 3rd
  2. Have at least 2 of the party fly in Delta One, and if possible the 3rd in Economy+ even if that means paying a little more
Now, how the heck do you optimize this?
This is driving me mad, I can't even find reliably if you can use an upgrade certificate on the paid seat of the companion pair

Thanks a lot
Delete
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:45 am

My AMEX companion certs are only good for domestic travel so no cheap games like starting in YYZ or YVR. Not sure if you have the Reserve certs which allow paid first or Platinum certs which only allow main cabin.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL-PM
I am trying to do something similar. They cannot split a companion ticket, but you have to use the RUCs on yourself +1 so you have to be one of the two passengers on the companion ticket for it to work. Then obviously availability and pricing for upgrade to C+ of F on the 3rd person becomes an issue. It took me several calls just to get that answer, and there were no paid work around in my case without exorbitant differences since it was me+2 (they were on the companion cert).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
My AMEX companion certs are only good for domestic travel so no cheap games like starting in YYZ or YVR. Not sure if you have the Reserve certs which allow paid first or Platinum certs which only allow main cabin.

I was talking about the Delta Platinum companion certificate

Originally Posted by mills1090
I am trying to do something similar. They cannot split a companion ticket, but you have to use the RUCs on yourself +1 so you have to be one of the two passengers on the companion ticket for it to work. Then obviously availability and pricing for upgrade to C+ of F on the 3rd person becomes an issue. It took me several calls just to get that answer, and there were no paid work around in my case without exorbitant differences since it was me+2 (they were on the companion cert).
But can you at least use the upgrade certificates on either yourself or the companion? I keep hearing different reports.
The 3rd passenger is less of an issue I think, because the pricing I've found doesn't seem to be so bad, plus I will have 2x$100 refunded from two BoA Premium Rewards Visa that are difficult to burn otherwise (unlike with my Amex Platinum, the $50 gift cards trick doesn't work with Visa)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really following you. You can use the upgrade certificates for both you and the companion when traveling on a companion cert now. Two upgrade certs are required in each direction. This is explained right in the T&C's for the certs on the website. Is this not what you want to accomplish?

The T&C's can be found at the following page and section 13 on Transferabiliity mentions this specific case.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:31 pm

Companion certs can be used for any 2 passengers and can be paid for with anyone’s AMEX card. Platinum companion certs only allow main cabin purchase, not C+ or FC.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Companion certs can be used for any 2 passengers and can be paid for with anyone’s AMEX card. Platinum companion certs only allow main cabin purchase, not C+ or FC.
Yep, but the upgrade cert's can only be used by the cert owner and a companion. They can't be transferred to two other companions. So, I guess if that's what OP was thinking (and using his status to get a C+ seat), that wouldn't work.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Yep, but the upgrade cert's can only be used by the cert owner and a companion. They can't be transferred to two other companions. So, I guess if that's what OP was thinking (and using his status to get a C+ seat), that wouldn't work.
Sadly I see no way around this, except paying C+ for the 3rd guy, which is probably what I will do.
But at least it looks that I can I purchase 1 economy seat + get a companion one for free, then upgrade both to Delta One using 4 regional upgrades, meaning 2 Delta One tickets for the cost of 1 economy ticket. I'm pretty sure it wasn't possible a few years ago.
Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL made Companion Cert tickets and PWM tickets eligible for upgrades with RUC's on Jan 22, 2018. So, yes, this is a relatively new option. It seems you will be able to use both your companion cert and upgrade certs (assuming they go through), so it doesn't seem like you have much to complain about here.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I do not complain, I was just not sure if it was doable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.