Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Good to be Gold...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
That's true; definitely a nice benefit. I'll probably hit the Platinum MQM requirement this year but will fall short of spend by about $1500-2000.
Remember the ability to earn MQD as a % of mileage flown on KL/AF/MU/KE/VA/VS tickets. Only 10% of distance on discounted coach, but 40% on business classes. JFK-Europe if you can find a good business class fare KL or AF (or the other big partners) marketed would get you $2800 MQDs.
Check out the Premium Fare Deals forum.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
Also guess only Golds get drink vouchers. Just hit Diamond for 2019 and nary a drink voucher for me.
Each year I've had drink vouchers pop into my account. I hardly every use them though as I'm usually in C+ or F where it's complimentary anyway.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Discomfort +? Seems the routes I fly they are squeezed in there with large passengers in C+. Even when the back of the plane is not full and could be in a row with an empty midle.

Also guess only Golds get drink vouchers. Just hit Diamond for 2019 and nary a drink voucher for me.
You should get drink vouchers for every level Gold and above
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, I've liked being Gold too. I can't see that Platinum is that much better. It seems like there's a big jump from Silver to Gold, and the next big jump in benefits isn't until Diamond. The lounge access on international Y flights is awesome. (Being based in ATL, upgrades are non-existent for me, but I love the access to preferred seating--even in Basic Economy!)
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by daloosh
NYC metro, so LGA/JFK/EWR. I think I upgraded twice this year without a RUC between JFK and SEA, that was nice! But lots of DMs here, sadly.
I’m surprised to hear that... Also JFK-based and my overall upgrade percentage this year is 46% and I started the year out as an FO. I think it really just depends on where/when you fly.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by loratliff

I’m surprised to hear that... Also JFK-based and my overall upgrade percentage this year is 46% and I started the year out as an FO. I think it really just depends on where/when you fly.
That's for sure! It definitely depends on where/ when you fly
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:44 am

Congrats!
MarkP24 and Daitheflu84 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MarkP24
You should get drink vouchers for every level Gold and above
Oh I know. I even emailed DL and was told that is no longer a benefit and I may get them in my renewal packet (response from the Diamond Desk per the email signature).
Twitter was a fail also.
i just gave up after that.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Good Choice on Staying with Delta. There are many more benefits that I have encountered especially when travelling overseas and when scheduling hiccups or IRROPS occur. You would be surprised how much it can help even to have a bit of status with an airline. Get familiar with the routes that are difficult to upgrade on (hubs, major connections, large cities) and plan accordingly. Consider the Amex Reserve card for the companion certificate and use the Same Day Confirmed and Same Day Stand By rules and fee waivers to your advantage. And remember that all though MQMs reset every year, your skymiles do not expire.

Enjoy and travel and dont be afraid to call the gold medallion line with any questions. Also, get used to the term HUCB (hang up call back) if you dont get the answer you were hoping for or believe to be incorrect.

Happy Landings...
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Highly route and date dependent in NYC. I am a PM based in NYC, mostly flying out of LGA on mid week hops to Chicago, Florida, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Cleveland and I'm at an 85% upgrade rate (check out my posts in the upgrade forum). My last 4 flights had upgrades at the 5 day window

I've even had a bunch of gate LGA-ATL upgrades, but I've missed (with a RUC) several transcons including JFK-SEA and JFK-SAN in lie flats.
That's awesome! This year for me has been more TCON or other rather westerly travel from JFK, and upgrades have generally eluded me, even with RUCs, and at all sorts of different days/times.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Oh I know. I even emailed DL and was told that is no longer a benefit and I may get them in my renewal packet (response from the Diamond Desk per the email signature).
Twitter was a fail also.
i just gave up after that.
I'm sorry!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
That's awesome! This year for me has been more TCON or other rather westerly travel from JFK, and upgrades have generally eluded me, even with RUCs, and at all sorts of different days/times.
Same here
daloosh likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was Gold for 5 months this year on my way to PM. I ended up with an upgrade percentage of 53.57% (15/28) compared to 34.78% (8/23) in 2017 (and 0.00% (0/2) as a FO in 2018) and 40.00% (4/10) in 2016 when I was FO. I also only missed C+ on one flight. I felt that the access to free SDC was a nice perk as was the better recognition and treatment by SC agents, gate agents and phone agents when I needed help. Sky boarding on single class planes was nice too. It's definitely a better level of service. Most of the airlines seem to feel that elite tiers really start at the Gold level and that the Silver level is essentially Credit Card+.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was Gold for 5 months this year on my way to PM. I ended up with an upgrade percentage of 53.57% (15/28) compared to 34.78% (8/23) in 2017 (and 0.00% (0/2) as a FO in 2018) and 40.00% (4/10) in 2016 when I was FO. I also only missed C+ on one flight. I felt that the access to free SDC was a nice perk as was the better recognition and treatment by SC agents, gate agents and phone agents when I needed help. Sky boarding on single class planes was nice too. It's definitely a better level of service. Most of the airlines seem to feel that elite tiers really start at the Gold level and that the Silver level is essentially Credit Card+.
As I should reach Diamond this year (currently PM), I'm debating gifting Gold to my wife who flies infrequently (say 4- 8 flights annually) primarily due to the C+ benefit and somewhat due to upgrades. Your upgrade percentages are helpful!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks, this is great info. What is your home airport? 35% FC upgrade percentage for FO is pretty good; I was just just under 25% before hitting GM last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.