Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need to earn 3300 MQMs before the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE

Is there any way to do this besides buying a ticket? Can I earn MQMs for paying to upgrade to First, etc.? If I end up buying a ticket, do I actually have to fly?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:08 pm

Delta usually sells MQMs at the end of the year. That is not a good deal. Yes, you can earn MQM bonus miles by upgrading to F. You would get 50% of distance flown. So you would need to upgrade 6,600 miles worth of flights. Your cheapest option, and what many of us do, is a mileage run. Look at google flights and find the cheapest spot to fly to and back. Yes you have to fly it. Basically, you need to fly halfway across the country and back which you can do in a day. Should be able to accomplish that for $200 or less.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The best way (imo) right now is to signup for the Reserve Card. You'll get 70k miles and 10k MQMs after spending $5k in the first 3 months. Just make sure you hit the minimum spend before 12/31 or else they won't count for this year.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
Delta usually sells MQMs at the end of the year. That is not a good deal. Yes, you can earn MQM bonus miles by upgrading to F. You would get 50% of distance flown. So you would need to upgrade 6,600 miles worth of flights. Your cheapest option, and what many of us do, is a mileage run. Look at google flights and find the cheapest spot to fly to and back. Yes you have to fly it. Basically, you need to fly halfway across the country and back which you can do in a day. Should be able to accomplish that for $200 or less.
You got the math backwards here I think. If OP needs 3300 MQMs, one could fly in FC on a route that is 2200 MQMs base, round trip (2200 MQMs base + 1100 MQMs as the 50% Class of Service bonus). Otherwise spot on. OP should easily be able to get 3300 MQMs in one day and quite possibly being able to do it for $200 (well in economy - I doubt OP would find a FC ticket for $200 that gets 3300 MQMs).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You got the math backwards here I think. If OP needs 3300 MQMs, one could fly in FC on a route that is 2200 MQMs base, round trip (2200 MQMs base + 1100 MQMs as the 50% Class of Service bonus). Otherwise spot on. OP should easily be able to get 3300 MQMs in one day and quite possibly being able to do it for $200 (well in economy - I doubt OP would find a FC ticket for $200 that gets 3300 MQMs).
My understanding was that The Situation was correct in that OP needs to upgrade 6600 miles worth of flights. Although that's based on the assumption that OP needs 3300 MQMs after all their scheduled flights for the remainder of the year. Then would need to upgrade 6600 miles worth of existing booked/planned reservations.

But OP could also purchase a new ticket covering 2200 miles in first class and get the 3300 MQMs required.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoelThomas
My understanding was that The Situation was correct in that OP needs to upgrade 6600 miles worth of flights. Although that's based on the assumption that OP needs 3300 MQMs after all their scheduled flights for the remainder of the year. Then would need to upgrade 6600 miles worth of existing booked/planned reservations.

But OP could also purchase a new ticket covering 2200 miles in first class and get the 3300 MQMs required.
Your assumption is correct. I will need 3300 MQMs on top of my scheduled flights. I have two DTW-SFO RT flights to do yet this year. That is about 4200 MQMs per trip. So if I upgrade to FC on both trips, that should hit the mark, yes?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by eric_o
If I end up buying a ticket, do I actually have to fly?
Yes, you have to actually fly to get credit.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:45 pm

Your assumption is correct. I will need 3300 MQMs on top of my scheduled flights. I have two DTW-SFO RT flights to do yet this year. That is about 4200 MQMs per trip. So if I upgrade to FC on both trips, that should hit the mark, yes?
Yes, you would hit the mark with those assumptions.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You didn't mention whether or not you have a DLAX Reserve card. That's the quickest / easiest / cheapest way to get MQMs without actually flying.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Yes. You can also fly to Phoenix in economy for a squeaker of 3342 miles r/t in economy (I earned 1671 to DTW recently) and that might be cheaper than two upgrades -- except obviously the upgrades are more comfortable and less of a time waster. Las Vegas is also possibly a cheap route at 1749 each way if there's a nonstop flight.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by JoelThomas

dude, my head just exploded
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Hey fellow FTers, if I buy the upgrade online before OLCI using cash on an award ticket, does it become an "A" ticket giving me 50% of the miles flown, or is it 50% more MQMs of zero, equaling zero? Thanks!

EDIT: I think the answer is yes to MQDs and no to MQMs, ya? I got this from the consolidated thread for cash upgrades on award tickets.

Last edited by daloosh; Oct 31, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do a weekend trip to someplace fun, either in coach or in discounted FC to get the MQMs. OP didn't say where he/she is based, but from just about anyplace there are attractive long weekend trips that will yield the required 3300 MQMs.

BTW, we seem to be assuming that OP has satisfied the MQD requirement and isn't close on MQSs.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I am good with the MQDs and nowhere near MQS, and my home airport is DTW.

After doing a little research, it looks like the DL Amex Reserve would probably be the most cost effective option, but if I can find a cheap flight to PHX or LAS, that would probably be more fun ;-)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daloosh
Hey fellow FTers, if I buy the upgrade online before OLCI using cash on an award ticket, does it become an "A" ticket giving me 50% of the miles flown, or is it 50% more MQMs of zero, equaling zero? Thanks!

EDIT: I think the answer is yes to MQDs and no to MQMs, ya? I got this from the consolidated thread for cash upgrades on award tickets.
Yep, No MQM's on award ticket upgrades. It's still considered an award for MQM purposes.
daloosh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.