Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Domestic FC Upgrade Funkiness

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Is this for C+ upgrades?
Yes. Once placed back on list by Skyclub rep, I was #1 for an aisle C+ seat.

Last edited by fpmurphy; Nov 1, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
One this is a D1 international flight. Two, that appears to be the standby list, not the upgrade list, which as international would only have those using GUC listed.
It is clearly labeled "Upgrade and Standby" - not just "Standby"
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
As a long time Diamond and almost a 4 million miler, I have a lot of memories of what "used to be" with Delta, but as for current, present day, situations regarding upgrades, the world has changed. All bets are off given the current day world of First Class Monitization. Delta wants people to PAY to sit up front, and only if that doesn't come to pass, will they grant the few precious upgrades. Given the regional and global upgrade certificates, they trump the upgrade. As do mileage upgrades (with status) So, less and less seats are open at the "5 day window", so upgrades are less and less an option. And I, as a person who is bowing to Delta and paying $$ to upgrade (when reasonably priced), I enjoy the privilege of changing within the 24 hour same day confirmed window to whatever flight fits my needs with upfront space. Yes, I give up a FC seat, but I will take a FC seat on a more timely or enjoyable routing thereby taking a seat out of upgrade inventory. So, I want DL to hold back FC seats!

So, IMHO, the new world of Delta is requiring that if you want to be upfront, you pay to be upfront. As a Diamond, it makes no difference if you are #1 for the upgrade when then are NO seats to upgrade to. That has been my experience over the past year, and certainly in the past few months. Get used to this, Delta has changed, and wants us to pay to ride up front. I for one, accept the upgrade if I get it as a rare gift, as they just don't have them to give away anymore. Yes, you need to question your loyalty, as loyalty is a two way street, but ride in the other carriers, and you will come back to Delta.

Might not be a popular post, but at least it is realistic given the changes that Delta has put in place. I will make lifetime platinum (4 MM) late next year if all goes as planned, but given the changes, it gives me nothing. Diamonds are regularly traveling in back cabin, what chances does a Platinum have? Gold? Silver? So, as has been said so many times before here, Want First? Pay First! (WFPF)
Very well said. I was just #1 on the upgrade list out of 34 people, and it didn't clear. Second place is first place loser
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
It is clearly labeled "Upgrade and Standby" - not just "Standby"
However notice there appears a button that says Upgrade. Figure it works just like in the app. It says both standy/upgrade, but you must select the list you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.