What has DL Done For You?

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wxman22
I think this post just about sums it up very well.
I fly Delta because more often than not, I do feel appreciated.

Over the past 30 years, I've had countless times of someone doing something for me.
The most recent time was on a red-eye from Fairbanks. I wasn't feeling so well. The only thing I wanted to drink was a mild or non-black tea, but Delta didn't have any.,.
A few minutes later, the FA came with a cup of hot water and his own packet of chamomile.
i was very grateful, but regret that I never thought to ask his name.
It could have been tea from J he brought you. Nonetheless, it is still an example of thoughtful service.

I've had a DL flight attendant in J bring me some tea she had just picked up at the International destination we were at. That was very nice.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I have more examples than I can count of DL people going above and beyond for me.

And having spoken with top-level executives, I can tell you it's company policy to encourage employees to do right by their customers... even if it means violating other policies. It's about being human. This is a marked difference from how UA and AA operate, and it's why DL continues to get my business over the other guys.
I tend to agree it is the human factor. The other day I received a hand written Birthday card from the BNA club. Very nice and thoughtful that they actually knew it was my birthday, and took 10 minutes to write it and mail it to me. Overall the cost was minimal but was a nice surprise that made my day.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last year I was flying to DC for work. I'd booked RDU-ATL-DCA because I wanted a new route (something silly that I collect). The day of the flight my law partner asked me to handle a really tricky plea in Superior Court. The client had complicated immigration issues and needed a lawyer who understood these, I do and my partner didn't. It ended up taking 90 minutes and I missed my flight. I drove to RDU and went to the Sky Priority counter and explained truthfully what happened. It took the agent about 15 minutes but he got me on the 6 PM RDU-DCA nonstop so I could make my hearing the next morning. I was merely FO at the time flying some garbage V or X Fare and he didn't charge me any change fees or fare differences. I really appreciated it.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It would take about 20 pages to list everything. Big, medium or just a nice little touch.

For me it comes down to one thing that I've seen every week since I started flying Delta in 1995.

Kindness.

And there are very few companies on earth who can consistently do that.
MarkP24 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Delta has done a great job providing me transportation with relatively on-time performance (with a few anomalies, although they're certainly better than their competitors), very professional and affable flight crew. Just for example, I had a wonderful flight attendant who lent me her phone charger last week for a 5 hour flight.

Their hard product is solid and competitive, and I enjoy both domestic F and D1, and look forward to trying their innovative new suites.

While I don't appreciate the lack of value in the SkyMiles program, being a credit card holder, I am guaranteed to get at least 1 CPM which gives me minimal solace in accruing the miles.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It could have been tea from J he brought you. Nonetheless, it is still an example of thoughtful service.

I've had a DL flight attendant in J bring me some tea she had just picked up at the International destination we were at. That was very nice.
Could have been, although I don’t think FAI is typically served with a Delta One cabin or catering so the likelihood is fairly high it was actually from the FA’s own personal stash in this case. My experience with domestic F is that it’s usually squarely in Lipton territory, although I admittedly stopped trying so it may have improved recently.

(Still could have been found on a misprovisioned cart, or appropriated from a previous flight or from the Sky Club, of course.)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Got me to my destination on time more than their competition.
Has more flights from NYC, at least to where I have needed to go, than their competition
Those are the two most important reasons I have selected Delta.

In terms of going above and beyond, I have had change fees waived numerous times. I have been able to change NYC airports to get a better flight. I was picked up in a Porsche once. But ultimately, my relationship with Delta is based on them giving me the best product for my needs. If another airline can do that better, I will move business to them.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:36 am

It is an odd question to ask, really. "Delta" does nothing, but individual people do things for me with regularity. What I think Delta does is (arguably) a better job of hiring and retaining people who can be both competent and empathetic and also give them tools and flexibility to make decisions based on that empathy. The staff are not all perfect but in total, I see both operational competence paired with humanity more often than not.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Delta moved a gate for me once and then held the flight until I boarded.

There have been countless other small things that really matter as well.
I have 35 years of experience flying the Big D. I agree with Rene; they've done lots for me that have made me smile. The most recent was Claudia meeting me and Mrs. ND76 in the jetway at gate A4 in SEA and driving us over to gate S7 in a Porsche, and recognizing us on Flight 39 on our 39th wedding anniversary.

I haven't flown in a couple of weeks; I'm going through withdrawal symptoms. I'm getting my next fix on Tuesday, DCA-ATL-BHM, with upgrades on both segments. Notre Dame is 9-0; I have a wonderful new granddaughter. Life can't get much better than this.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by troyintn
I tend to agree it is the human factor. The other day I received a hand written Birthday card from the BNA club. Very nice and thoughtful that they actually knew it was my birthday, and took 10 minutes to write it and mail it to me. Overall the cost was minimal but was a nice surprise that made my day.
The human factor certainly sets them apart from others
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Come to think of it, there have been a bunch of tmes Delta has gone above and beyond for me. Not just when .....ing on twitter about fees.

7 years ago going to LA, my brother in law got the craps on the way to the airport we missed the flight. Got to JFK explained what happened to the TA told him what really happened. Next thing we know he has us on the next flight out in First. I was a PM he was a nobody we weren't on the same PNR. No charge for either of us.

When my sister died, Delta handles everything via twitter I couldn't bring myself to call to cancel 3 flights. Delta took care of everything.

Another time, SFO to JFK to DCA flying with my mom to DCA from JFK. two separate bookings my mom is not a medallion member SFO JFK flight was to arrive late which would cause a missed connection. My mom didn't want to fly alone as I had all the reservation information. Delta put her on the next flight with me at no charge.

When I moved full time to the Dominican Republic they had no issues updating my profile either.

I have stayed loyal to Delta because I knew if I needed to be a winey ......., they'd take care of me regardless of my status.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
So I've got over 1MM on Delta since the merger and while there is a lot of TATL in that I can say I've not had an unplanned overnight -- meaning they always got me there the day they said the would. Sure, sometimes it was later than planned but they got me there.

My 1st 1MM was on NW -- a lot more domestic and less TATL and only once was there an unplanned overnight -- and that was a series of cascading problems and they tried really hard and almost got me home and took good care of me when they didn't.

Prior to that I had spent many a night in Denver or Chicago -- often in the airport on the floor. I have not connected in either of those cities in over 30 years

I also appreciate that last year I had family issues that meant I was flying lot between LAX and ATL and a number of times I had to reschedule booked flights on short notice as things took a turn for the worst. Never a hassle, never a change fee which was greatly appreciated in a time of high stress.

So I ..... about the changes to SkyMiles but I am appreciative of the way I've been treated (for the most part) by both NW and DL over the years.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I'm mostly happy with Delta, though I must say the way mileage accrues (or rather, doesn't accrue) these days sends the message that they don't give a F about me as a "loyal" customer, just the latest dollars flowing in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.