Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What has DL Done For You?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheHorta

How is it possible that we have had such radically different experiences?
Routes and home airport could definitely be a factor. I’m fortunate enough to be based in Seattle flying mostly international, where there’s kind of the perfect situation: healthy competition on most routes means there’s often a viable alternative in irops. There are also enough employees working here where even though I’m familiar to some now, I don’t think I’ve ever worked with the same agent twice in a situation where I needed some strings pulled.

If you are at a smaller outstation flying mostly the domestic grind, and there aren’t a ton of alternate options for them to give you, and the same one redcoat is always there, I could easily see getting told no more often.

As for ticketing waivers, I’ve only ever requested those in legitimate emergencies. Delta has occasionally requested proof; I wouldn’t expect similar flexibility for situations that are more convenience based...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AAvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by fromYXU
I pay to get from A to B. First class and D1. Delta gets me where I need to go with good partners. No other airline will do that from where I’m from.
As someone who used to live in RST, I imagine those Atlanta flights have been a complete gamechanger for DL flyers. I mean, AA and UA can get you to O'Hare, but there's nothing like flying into quite possibly the fortress hub of all fortress hubs Stateside.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:06 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
This is a company. This is what they are supposed to do. This isn't an entity that can or should be the basis for anybody feeling needed, wanted, or special.

Delta is a great airline and usually delivers exactly what they say they will deliver, which is almost-always exactly that for which I pay.
My company Needs and Wants it's customers, we want to make sure they know that and that they're special. I spend a lot of money doing just that at the finest restaurants around -and spend a decent amount of money on StubHub as well. I have competition and want to make sure my customers keep coming back to me.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You bribe the people who make the purchasing decisions for your customers.

Delta does the same thing. They give 360 status to some decision makers, etc. Smaller scale decision makers (e.g. me, I make my own decisions about which airline to take) get bribes in the form of upgrades, lounge access, redeemable miles, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pvn
You bribe the people who make the purchasing decisions for your customers..
Bribe?? - Oops sorry, just saw the screen name and would expect nothing less.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Look, I do it too. There's no sense being coy about what we're doing.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Look, I do it too. There's no sense being coy about what we're doing.
If was entertaining in hopes of getting new business, that would be a bribe. Entertaining for current business is thanking them.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:42 am
pvn
Suspended

You don't hope that your current customers will buy more stuff in the future?

You don't think the implied delivery of sports tickets in the future effects their purchasing decisions?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:44 am
pvn
Suspended

Why do you think many companies have policies that forbid their employees from accepting "thanks" from vendors?

Hint: they can accept actual thank yous, just not the particular form of "thanks" you're describing.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I am working on a post about this. A reader got a CEASE AND DESIST letter from the mothership warning them about too many wavers! Yes #YIKES !
A C&D for getting too many fee waivers? I wonder at what dollar amount it needs to be to trigger a lawyer to risk the bad PR for threatening legal action.

Reminds me of the time I received a C&D from Microsoft for breaking an NDA by 1 minute.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

that doesn't make any sesnse

if delta thinks a guy is getting too many waivers, the solution is that delta can simply stop giving them to him.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
that doesn't make any sesnse

if delta thinks a guy is getting too many waivers, the solution is that delta can simply stop giving them to him.
Seriously. The only thing I can think of is (a) s/he is ASKING for too many waivers - HUCA taken to the extreme on a regular basis or (b) s/he is "abusing" a guaranteed fee waiver (the one most likely to be abused would be award redeposit fee waiver I guess).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
DL allowed me to wipe out a ticket to another city so I could use the value of it to fly to where my mom lived to say goodbye to my mom right before she died. They then allowed me to change to date of return without any further collection when I decided to return ealier. They did this without even asking me the name of the funeral home or hospital. The agents were kind and compassionate. That's quite reasonable.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I was thinking about it on a very long transpacific flight recently, what has DL done for you? Loyalty is a two way street (or at least it should be) I aks the question in a multi level thought process. What have GA/FA/etc (front line employees) done for you? (not the normal good IRROP help but if somebody in person or on the phone went out of their way for you? Has DL corporate done anything? (examples are sending you thank you notes, gifts for being X medallion level, calls to resolve issues, etc.)

Been some medallion (FO, GM, PM, DM) for the past 10+ years and honestly cant say the times I have been "wowed" or felt like my business meant anything (especially from corporate (not front line employees)) to the company have been numerous. I am aware they are a multi billion dollar company with a global presence but they still depend on repeat business.

Just curious of peoples thoughts (both longer term flyers and newer ones)
tbh not so much. I fly paid first and business nearly 100% of the time. I buy whichever airline is best for the route. Living in a delta hub however I almost always end up on Delta metal. As a higher MQD Diamond I can't think of anything they have done for me that has mattered at all and thus when I spend $11k for a business class ticket to europe, I just fly whoever has the best flights.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I don't give a toss about loyalty. My dogs are loyal. I am loyal to my friends and family. My transactions with DL are business, not personal, and I don't understand the insistence on burdening it with emotional baggage. If and when DL fails to deliver the product I pay for, then I will find someone that will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.