Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What has DL Done For You?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Delta waves fees whenever I ..... about it on twitter.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:17 pm

DL has consistently gone out of their way so many times to waive change/redeposit fees and demonstrated above and beyond courtesy so many times I have lost count. The culture of can-do service isn’t just shown among a few associates here and there but rather throughout the entire DL system.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
my first-ever flight on delta involved IROPS and me being stuck at CVG overnight. Delta did a great job of correcting this with little comment from me about it. Part of the correction was a voucher, which I used for another trip where I ended up being stranded due to a hurricane. Delta proactively called me to help me figure out how to get home. I realize these are part and parcel of running a global airline, but it was my first two impressions of the airline and it made a difference. I've flown other carriers before and after, and I just always feel at home on delta. it's stupid, and I know it, but that feeling is worth my money.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Delta waves fees whenever I ..... about it on twitter.
I am working on a post about this. A reader got a CEASE AND DESIST letter from the mothership warning them about too many wavers! Yes #YIKES !
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have been Platinum or Diamond with Delta for well over two decades, and I am not a hub captive. They have been good to me when I have to change flights at the last minute, even if it is not their fault. Their planes are typically good and are on the high end of airline IFE systems. FAs and GAs at many stations are consistently capable and friendly, although knowledge of some phone agents (even at the Diamond line) is suffering a bit lately. Upgrades to First used to be very common; much less so now, but that is not just an issue for Delta. I have started to diversify the airlines I fly with based on price and schedule (this year Delta is half of my flying, rather than 90% in the past), and AA and UA so far have failed to impress me. WN is a lot better but has its obvious drawbacks too. So, I still often end up with Delta, not so much because of a sense of loyalty or because they do so much for me but because they have a good product and price relative to the competition.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
IRROPS - clothing reimbursement (over $2k in 3 trips), gave me the last seat on a flight up to MHT during ATL rainstorm, SC agent gave me the last seat (bonus that it was in F) with over 150+ on standby.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ethernal
With all that said, I do also feel that it is a further devaluation of Medallion benefits on international flights. As a Diamond pretty much the only benefit I get is partner lounge access and better IRROPS handling. Partner lounge access is nice but not that big of a draw for me (especially since most ex-US airports have, e.g., Priority Pass options).
I definitely agree about the lack of C+ being a devaluation of Medallion benefits, because for east coast to Europe trips, C+ is not a bad deal (if you can fly JFK-LAX you can fly JFK-LHR). My concern is that there isn't enough PS on the aircraft to accommodate passengers who want that legroom.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DL has consistently gone out of their way so many times to waive change/redeposit fees and demonstrated above and beyond courtesy so many times I have lost count. The culture of can-do service isn’t just shown among a few associates here and there but rather throughout the entire DL system.
How is it possible that we have had such radically different experiences?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Thanks everyone, just curious of what others may have received or what they find useful. I can definitely agree that during IRROPS moving me to another airline when they should have stuck me on a (less convenient) skyteam option has been great.

As an FYI for folks I dont think DL should bestow me with champagne or gifts or jewels but just curious if people find value in DL loyalty (with loyalty not at the forefront of a lot of companies now)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Also I cant argue with RUCs and GUCs, this year I am 3 for 4 on RUCs clearing and 4 for 4 on GUCs clearing for me to D1 on TPAC. The cash equivalent of how much those upgrades would have cost me is pretty substantial.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gig103
I definitely agree about the lack of C+ being a devaluation of Medallion benefits, because for east coast to Europe trips, C+ is not a bad deal (if you can fly JFK-LAX you can fly JFK-LHR). My concern is that there isn't enough PS on the aircraft to accommodate passengers who want that legroom.
I don't think there will be a shortage of premium select seats. There are actually more PS seats than there ever were C+ seats on equivalent aircraft (e.g., the A350 has 48 versus 36 C+ seats on the 772 even though they're both roughly the same size). The reality is just that now Delta will be able to price discriminate and not give those seats away for free.

It is just very disappointing. Delta is clearly positioning its rewards program as "domestic only". Between the impossibility of finding reasonable J redemptions for miles on DL metal and the elimination of C+, Delta is making it clear that they do not want bleedover of the domestic program into international travel.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I am working on a post about this. A reader got a CEASE AND DESIST letter from the mothership warning them about too many wavers! Yes #YIKES !
When will you publish the post? How many times did this person ask for a waiver?

Originally Posted by ethernal
I don't think there will be a shortage of premium select seats. There are actually more PS seats than there ever were C+ seats on equivalent aircraft (e.g., the A350 has 48 versus 36 C+ seats on the 772 even though they're both roughly the same size). The reality is just that now Delta will be able to price discriminate and not give those seats away for free.

It is just very disappointing. Delta is clearly positioning its rewards program as "domestic only". Between the impossibility of finding reasonable J redemptions for miles on DL metal and the elimination of C+, Delta is making it clear that they do not want bleedover of the domestic program into international travel.
I suggest people write into twitter and tell them AA gives EPs DOD upgrades to PE, and DL should do the same. Might cause DL to "match" like they did with the transcon D1 upgrades
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I was thinking about it on a very long transpacific flight recently, what has DL done for you? Loyalty is a two way street (or at least it should be) I aks the question in a multi level thought process. What have GA/FA/etc (front line employees) done for you? (not the normal good IRROP help but if somebody in person or on the phone went out of their way for you? Has DL corporate done anything? (examples are sending you thank you notes, gifts for being X medallion level, calls to resolve issues, etc.)

Been some medallion (FO, GM, PM, DM) for the past 10+ years and honestly cant say the times I have been "wowed" or felt like my business meant anything (especially from corporate (not front line employees)) to the company have been numerous. I am aware they are a multi billion dollar company with a global presence but they still depend on repeat business.

Just curious of peoples thoughts (both longer term flyers and newer ones)
Well, I do see the IROPS handling as part of that "two-way" loyalty. When DL goes above and beyond to help me out, they do so at another passengers' expense. At a minimum, the time required for the agent to go above and beyond to assist me takes away from time they could spend helping other customers and when DL does more to get me on a flight than they might for someone else, that means another passenger may lose out and not make that flight.

I did receive the Porsche transfer twice the year I was a DM (both times at LAX). One wasn't necessary (I had about 2 hours) while the other one - well it was the only reason my wife and I made our connection to our VA flight to BNE. Had it not been for the Porsche transfer (and the driver pulling some strings on the way as he was driving us over), we would have missed our flight and spent the night at LAX and not gotten out to the following day.

DL has also waived numerous change fees for me when I've had work-related conflicts come up (military orders). DL doesn't have to but they have. And while it's been a while since I've used it (I honestly don't even know if they still do it), DL would run a military lounge in ATL and some other hubs around the holidays for military and their families. Not something they've done for me individually but still an "above and beyond" act I was able to take advantage of.

The other case where a DL agent really went above and beyond was at a DL SkyClub. My wife and I were traveling on our anniversary. One of the employees was walking around, often talking to and engaging with kids but he approached us and said we looked like a couple traveling on our honeymoon. We said no but funny enough it was our anniversary. He then brought out a bottle of champagne on ice, two glasses, and some other treats/snacks for us.

Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not sure it's a matter of needing to be wowed. But it amazes me at what people are actually wowed by. A handwritten card from a purser, for example, is 100% useless. It's not sincere and it doesn't help. But people will rave about it, tell their friends, and remember it forever.
Well, only the purser knows if it's genuine or not. But sometimes it's the things that are financially useless that mean the most to people. A spouse may be the same way. My wife is often more impressed and grateful by a low-cost/no-cost gift or surprise than something fancier and more expensive.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Delta gets me from point A to point B in the class and comfort level for which I pay. Occasionally, I get upgraded seats. This is a company. This is what they are supposed to do. This isn't a spouse, this isn't a lover, this isn't an entity that can or should be the basis for anybody feeling needed, wanted, or special. If you are basing your self worth on what an airline is or isn't doing for you, I feel badly for you.

Delta is a great airline and usually delivers exactly what they say they will deliver, which is almost-always exactly that for which I pay.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Delta has graciously permitted me to place $70,000 of our money into their bank, and I’m pretty sure they’ll let me do it again next year.

Remarkable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.