Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Your account has been suspended due to a security risk" frustration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Your account has been suspended due to a security risk" frustration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeef
Got an email over the weekend that the ID I sent wasn't legible. Had to send in another one and start the process all over again.

Mike
Sent one in via PDF in email and got that message. Sent it again, and got same reply. Called in and a different agent pulled up file to see what wasn't appearing correctly. Agent laughed. They told me the first ageng had the screen size set to to something like 20% instead of 100%. Just had no clue you could adjust size of picture.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I hafto send in copies of drivers licenses of new limo drivers and renewed licenses to the airport authority all the time, and I got really tired of the "not legible" response using the fax machine. I tried lighter / darker & larger. Now, I simply take a picture of them with my phone, and attach the file to an eMail. Works great!

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The phone security thing is a problem worldwide. The only good solution is likely to have a secure means of establishing a mobile phone # and a backup # which can be accomplished when one has time and is in private. Thereafter, the agent sends a code via text which one then reads back. Doesn't matter who hears it because it's only for single use.

Larger issue is that people want instant access and also want the business to be liable for breaches.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Finally solved, not surprisingly, over the phone (with an assist from a couple of helpful reps).

One downside to the whole process is that, because the system saw my account as blocked, it directed me to the general number instead of the Platinum line. Finally got myself to a Platinum rep. Explained the situation again and asked her what I could do, since my ID couldn't be read. She called the SkyMiles desk and, from what I can tell, set up a triage situation where the SM desk representative found my fax, compared it with a copy of my ID that I sent via email and relayed instructions to the Platinum representative on resetting the password. Problem solved. The new password site asked me for security questions, so hopefully, that will help in the future.

Thanks all for letting me vent.

Mike
wrp96, MarkP24, Zorak and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:17 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Finally solved

Mike
Yay, and congrats!

You know . . . . Allowing fellow FlyerTalkerz to vent . . . is our specialty!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yay, and congrats!

You know . . . . Allowing fellow FlyerTalkerz to vent . . . is our specialty!
Exactly. Without complaints, there would only be about three posts per day on the board.

Mike
wrp96 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
But, we do reserve the right to still attack you like a rabid dog if we sho choose!
davetravels likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tvnwz
But, we do reserve the right to still attack you like a rabid dog if we sho choose!
Wrong forum. The rabid formerly SPG elites belong in the Starriott hotel forum, where they can hook up with the more recent lunatics.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Finally solved, not surprisingly, over the phone (with an assist from a couple of helpful reps).

One downside to the whole process is that, because the system saw my account as blocked, it directed me to the general number instead of the Platinum line. Finally got myself to a Platinum rep. Explained the situation again and asked her what I could do, since my ID couldn't be read. She called the SkyMiles desk and, from what I can tell, set up a triage situation where the SM desk representative found my fax, compared it with a copy of my ID that I sent via email and relayed instructions to the Platinum representative on resetting the password. Problem solved. The new password site asked me for security questions, so hopefully, that will help in the future.

Mike
Great to hear! Sorry for the frustration!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Glad it worked out for you! It helped me as a reminder to keep going when I know I'm right. Thanks!! :-)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I'm the person who started the "account hacked" thread. Well, it's been total crickets from Delta. I've called a few times. First time the on line agent just said I had to wait it out for 3-4 weeks. Second time, the on line agent said they were waiting for my DL to be faxed (what's a fax???) - I never was told I had to do that. No access to a fax, so the agent had me take a photo of my DL and email it in. Problem is, I can't add my FF# to the email - the agent saw that, even though she could see the FF#. She said to just put that on the first line of the email. I've done that, no replies. When I talked to the agent after the first 3 weeks and was told about the DL, she said the clock starts again and it would be another 3-4 weeks before finding out if I get my account and miles back. Well, it's now 5 weeks and I have not heard one word from Delta, not even an acknowledgment that they received my emails and DL. I do not want to call that lame phone # again. Does anyone have a phone number or email address of something/one further up the food chain that I can access? I know I'm just a lowly General Member now (no more flights other than one or two for leisure a year now), but I should not be treated like dog excrement since I have been a member from the late 80s when it was not SkyMiles... Any ideas/help here?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know whether it still works, but there had been a post-flight customer service (complaints) number during the business week in ATL, 404 area code and then a phone tree. I know the number had been posted here on FT.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
A cricket spoke!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know whether it still works, but there had been a post-flight customer service (complaints) number during the business week in ATL, 404 area code and then a phone tree. I know the number had been posted here on FT.
I looked around FT and found a couple of phone #s and a couple of email addresses. I sent an email Monday night from work and was going to call some of the numbers today (my day off). Surprise! I received a phone call today! I did have to laugh when I was asked if anyone responded to me yet - I said in 6 weeks NO ONE contacted me or replied to me, despite my 2 phone calls and 4 emails. No "I'm sorry" or anything from the person. Just that when the Marketplace fraud occurred, every case had to be investigated. Funny how Diamonds and Plats had their cases resolved within days, even with them not knowing they had been hacked. Then, the person tells me that my miles have been restored and I should see them on my account. I say I can't see anything because I am locked out of my account because of a security risk. The person goes "hmm - did you send in documentation?" I say yes I did as soon as someone I called the 2nd time said I had to so do. He wasn't sure why I was still locked out. So, he gives me his DL email address and tells me to send the drivers license AGAIN to him and he'll give it to someone. I sent the DL AND a photo of my Global Entry card so they have TWO government IDs. I didn't have the nerve to ask if this resets my case to another 3-4 weeks - I would have lost it if it was "yes."

What a royal pain in the ... this has been. In line with other DL complainers, does anyone think I deserve extra miles for their bungling?? ;-)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by slidergirl
does anyone think I deserve extra miles for their bungling?? ;-)
I think so, but DL is not going to give you any. Even for their DMs, DL is very cheap about (not) giving out compensation for much bigger service and other failures.

If this had happened with another airline, you may have a fair shot at getting some compensation. Not so with DL.

DL miles are both some of the hardest to "earn" and the hardest and worth least to use.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Sigh, another passcode.

Too many secrets.

Mike
It would be impressive if the sigh was part of your passphrase, and the system could recognize it and be able to tell the difference from someone else's sighs

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sent one in via PDF in email and got that message. Sent it again, and got same reply. Called in and a different agent pulled up file to see what wasn't appearing correctly. Agent laughed. They told me the first ageng had the screen size set to to something like 20% instead of 100%. Just had no clue you could adjust size of picture.
Yikes, so the people tasked with handling this can't even figure out something that simple?

Thanks for not starting a thread, which starts a heated debate, only to never return. (Seriously, I hate those. Usually they're one-post wonders)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.