Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many Double DM couples? Is that rare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme

My wife is about five minutes away from hitting DM all on her own this year, entirely through flying with me on international trips so we can spend some time together in between work. She’s over $20K in MQD, with about 3K MQM to go, which she’ll do this week.

I wasn’t really thinking about it, but there are some great benefits to having your spouse / significant other also hitting DM. Double RUCs and GUCs obviously, but now I don’t have to gift Gold, and since we both have AXR cards, we can guest the whole band into the SC.

It also made me curious into just how common it is for couples to both achieve DM status together.

So, how many here are both DMs? It would seem fairly unusual, but that’s just a guess.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Mrs. BenA and I are another example of a double diamond couple for a few years running now. She naturally made platinum easily, but we pushed toward diamond for a few reasons - mostly, because at the time we made the decision companions weren’t eligible for C+ upgrades at booking, and we weren’t willing to fly Y internationally without a guarantee of decent seats. But also, I didn’t want to share my GUCs

It’s a little frustrating that the new companion policies have made it basically irrelevant for both of us to have status when traveling together. But the privileges when flying separately are still nice (she’s gotten huge value out of coterminal SDC alone), and we’ve been treated very, very well by customer service when calling in for assistance with joint itineraries.

My advice to you as double diamond is to split all your reservations and book separately. There’s zero benefit to being on the same PNR, and it could be an active detriment in some cases (like if you could potentially be eligible for op-ups but only one seat is available.). If you want, you can always call in to link your reservations after the fact (or book separately and call to split).
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Well, there is this couple. It's truly geeky but I love it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8319251.html
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:15 am

I would guess it isn’t as rare as you might think. Both my wife and I are DM. Why, well we both work, we live in the same city dominated by the same airline, we both travel a fair amount for work, we go on vacation together, all of our commonality is probably somewhat common for a married couple
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tennessetom
I would guess it isn’t as rare as you might think. Both my wife and I are DM. Why, well we both work, we live in the same city dominated by the same airline, we both travel a fair amount for work, we go on vacation together, all of our commonality is probably somewhat common for a married couple
I would guess for married couples with kids, having one spouse who travels a lot is common but having two probably isn't - maybe a spouse makes lower-level status on their own if they travel enough for vacation but for couples with kids I would imagine both parents being business travelers who travel enough for such high status becomes more difficult. So maybe not quite as uncommon as one thinks but hardly common, I imagine, either. Granted I say that and yet Mrs. ATOBTTR and I are both PMs (so no, not DMs but in a similar boat) from both work travel and personal travel but we also don't have any kids. Both having access to RUCs is nice as it gives us twice as many trips in F instead of me having to use mine for me and her, basically giving us one round trip together in FC when she wasn't getting RUCs - now we get enough for two round trips in F.
acrophobia, TheHorta and arunhn like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if there are any Delta 360 couples out there?!?

That would be interesting - but it would probably be based more on their company position than travel.
TheHorta and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Wife and I are both DMs. Will see if worth it to both be DMs for 2020.
TheHorta and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On FT, double DM used to mean someone with 250,000 MQMs (before there was the MQD requirement). Triple DM was 375,000 MQMs.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I would guess for married couples with kids, having one spouse who travels a lot is common but having two probably isn't - maybe a spouse makes lower-level status on their own if they travel enough for vacation but for couples with kids I would imagine both parents being business travelers who travel enough for such high status becomes more difficult. So maybe not quite as uncommon as one thinks but hardly common, I imagine, either. Granted I say that and yet Mrs. ATOBTTR and I are both PMs (so no, not DMs but in a similar boat) from both work travel and personal travel but we also don't have any kids. Both having access to RUCs is nice as it gives us twice as many trips in F instead of me having to use mine for me and her, basically giving us one round trip together in FC when she wasn't getting RUCs - now we get enough for two round trips in F.
Thanks for saving me some typing. I’m in exactly this situation. I fly around 75,000 miles a year with my wife and son, but that’s all the flying they do. I fly around 100,000 additional miles a year for work, and because of that my wife cannot do business travel.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Mrs Lewis42 and I are both senator (Lufthansa) through travel for work. We then use our miles for holidays normally.

I am yet to find the real benefit of this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On FT, double DM used to mean someone with 250,000 MQMs (before there was the MQD requirement). Triple DM was 375,000 MQMs.
Well then... I just hit Triple DM this month. I doubt I’ll hit Quad DM this year, unlike Don and our other 1MM MQM fellow that posted a couple of weeks ago.

Dare to dream.

My wife’s DM is all on leisure travel. She retired on her 40th birthday over a decade ago. Now she’s just a lowly family farmer.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
We are both DM MM, both about to hit 2 MM
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
My wife and I have been DMs together (over the holidays only) for the past 5 years. By the holidays, the opposite spouse has passed their $25k Amex spend and is a newly minted Diamond. The other spouse is at the end of their diamond year and preparing to "rebuild" their rollover with FO status (via $3004 MQDs of course...with VDB vouchers).

When we check in our luggage for our Christmas travels...the GA's are always astounded when the have to thank both of us for being DMs. That being said, a new baby and the Amex "enhancements" have put an end to that for 2019. You DMs traveling on Christmas Eve don't have to worry anymore.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
We both still have our charter DM tags. and about 50 tags in between.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pgh234
My wife and I have been DMs together (over the holidays only) for the past 5 years. By the holidays, the opposite spouse has passed their $25k Amex spend and is a newly minted Diamond. The other spouse is at the end of their diamond year and preparing to "rebuild" their rollover with FO status (via $3004 MQDs of course...with VDB vouchers).

When we check in our luggage for our Christmas travels...the GA's are always astounded when the have to thank both of us for being DMs. That being said, a new baby and the Amex "enhancements" have put an end to that for 2019. You DMs traveling on Christmas Eve don't have to worry anymore.
You do know there is a waver for that this year if you ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.