Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tenth Anniversary of DL/NW merger

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA

While I’m a chief antagonist when it comes to whining about SkyMiles values -if anything, domestic redemptions are the sweet spot these days. Prices on international J trips keep creeping up to crazy levels, but domestic Y trips can be had for oddly low prices. I just was able to book SEA-DCA round trip for 10k miles on dates that would have been $350 for a Main Cabin revenue ticket - I consider that excellent value.
That is excellent value. Unfortunately, premium cabin international keeps rising as you point out....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Some of this is like when celebrities die young -- they are forever that age. Marilyn Monroe would be what 94 today? Still younger than Betty White but I bet we'd think about her differently
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BearX220
What I remember about CO/HP was that CO wanted up to $2k for a last-minute SEA-IAH roundtrip, while HP charged about $350 via PHX and upgraded CO Plats. I wonder why CO let that go on for so long.
Nonstop VS connecting. Also SEA/IAH on CO was normally full of oil execs continuing onto or from ANC via the daily or twice daily direct flights. Different demand, different products.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
They look good in a 1990's way. They style is extremely dated.
See, I think the look is timeless. Wood, granite, tile, glass, neutral colors... All seem to stand the test of time vs red, white, blue plastic.

Also, it could be because I am old.
monitor and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I never really understood the "dated" complaints. "ooh, my rear end is extremely sensitive and can't sit in an ... old room."

I wonder how often these people renovate their kitchens at home.
In2ishn and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by james318
See, I think the look is timeless. Wood, granite, tile, glass, neutral colors... All seem to stand the test of time vs red, white, blue plastic.

Also, it could be because I am old.

Neither stand the test of time, IMO, though agree that the NW style has more classes elements than the current look and had more staying power. The first round of DL clubs to get the newer look already are starting to look dated.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by BenA

oh man; that Cinnabon. NW stranded me in DTW back in 1997 overnight with a group of school compatriots, and we had to spend that time sleeplessly wandering the terminal. Sometime around 4am, the smell of Cinnabon wafted through the hallways, and we wandered down there desperately hoping to get some early. The staff were more than happy to accept an oddly round number amount of cash for some early-baked Cinnabons before the official opening, and I would be very surprised if that ended up in the cash drawer. Not that I cared. Because Cinnabons.

also, oh man, that terminal was so bad. McNamara represented an airport going from the worst in the county to the best basically overnight; huge kudos to Detroit and Northwest for having the vision to do it right with the rebuild.
I was just a kid when they closed that terminal, and I still only remember that Cinnabon. It was my favorite thing about flying at the time, because I always got airsick as a kid.

Last edited by ab2013; Nov 3, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by n7371f
You know what's interesting is talking to former NWA employees...and how many of them say they miss their airline. I always do a double take. When I flew Northwest I often felt like I loved the airline more than the people who were paid by it.

I had my challenges of disenfranchised flight attendants and even airport workers over the years. I recall that once I made Million it got better. And nothing will ever compare to the Chisholm "Platinum" line. Thank you Delta for keeping those fine folks.

Looking back I appreciate the reliability, swiftness and ease which NW made my travels. It wasn't always 5-star but it was reliable and I knew what to expect. And no one should forget the value of WorldPerks as a Platinum and MM. The folks that ran the FF understood their weaknesses and in most ways, the program compensated for it - maybe more than necessary. I felt spoiled when I had to live under SkyMiles.

And I think the former Northwest workers fondly recall the trailblazing ways of their airline. The history of the Red Tail in operations, technology and pushing the industry are what I believe they reminisce about. And that I agree with.
The irony is that at the time they hated their employer and probably even their jobs.

Last edited by ab2013; Nov 3, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not a NW loyalist by any stretch of the imagination. I was NW Gold from 2006-2008 but flew far more CO than anything else. The NW I remember from that generation if you were like me and only flew in the US was really grotty. Cloth covered seats with tray tables in the back of the seat in front of you in F, no IFE, no power, no Wifi. Of course Delta back then wasn't very good either.

I'm a real fan of the combined airline today. I think Delta is the best domestic airline because of the investments they've made in making their airline enjoyable to fly (IFE, power even on regional jets, service, Skyclubs etc.). I think the merger brought together two mediocre airlines and they parlayed it into something quite good. I certainly don't feel this way about UA/CO and AA/US.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm not a NW loyalist by any stretch of the imagination. I was NW Gold from 2006-2008 but flew far more CO than anything else. The NW I remember from that generation if you were like me and only flew in the US was really grotty. Cloth covered seats with tray tables in the back of the seat in front of you in F, no IFE, no power, no Wifi. Of course Delta back then wasn't very good either.

I'm a real fan of the combined airline today. I think Delta is the best domestic airline because of the investments they've made in making their airline enjoyable to fly (IFE, power even on regional jets, service, Skyclubs etc.). I think the merger brought together two mediocre airlines and they parlayed it into something quite good. I certainly don't feel this way about UA/CO and AA/US.
Yes. I agree that they're the best of the domestic carriers in my opinion.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Cloth covered seats with tray tables in the back of the seat in front of you in F, no IFE, no power, no Wifi.
This was all of the legacy carriers at that point, right? Maybe CO was a little nicer on board, but not much. And I don't think in-flight Wifi had been invented. Some carriers had leather seats, but I remember that mostly being newer LCC's like Jet Blue. One of the reasons that the legacy carriers needed to merge is that they were not making enough money to make significant capital investments while they were continually having fare wars with each other.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ten years ago, few aircraft had true flat bed seats. SQ did in FC on their 747, but business class on SQ at the time was slanted seats, in a 2-3-2 configuration. LH was the same, with those same seats in the 2-2-2 configuration even on their A380s at least a few years later.
10 years ago I was able to cash 95,000 Delta miles and fly IAD-DTW-AMS eastbound, and EDI-CDG-IAD westbound (taking an overnight ferry from Ijmuiden, Netherlands to the Port of Tyne, near Newcastle, UK, to fill the "open jaw), in business class. I sat in the upper deck of the NW 747 out of DTW. The seating was "angled lie flat", with more recline than the Delta seating in Business Elite at the time. It was a great trip.

I really like DTW, MSP and AMS as hubs. I think the DL staff in MSP is a bit nicer than their staff in DTW; I don't know why this is. I grew up in Michigan (although about 175 miles northwest of DTW). I like the self-serve bars in the former NW World Clubs (with the exception of the F club in MSP, which is bartender serve).

I think this merger really cemented Delta as a nationwide airline; now if they can fix their dearth of service in Texas.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
I never really understood the "dated" complaints. "ooh, my rear end is extremely sensitive and can't sit in an ... old room."

I wonder how often these people renovate their kitchens at home.
That, plus for everyone who complains about the dated decor in one of the older clubs there are people who prefer the old C club at MSP to the new white plasticky whatever epithet of F/G.

You can't please everyone...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This was all of the legacy carriers at that point, right? Maybe CO was a little nicer on board, but not much. And I don't think in-flight Wifi had been invented. Some carriers had leather seats, but I remember that mostly being newer LCC's like Jet Blue. One of the reasons that the legacy carriers needed to merge is that they were not making enough money to make significant capital investments while they were continually having fare wars with each other.
In 2006-2008 when I was flying Northwest United had audio entertainment on their entire mainline fleet and video on everything but the 737s, American had audio and video on everything but their MD-80s, Continental had audio and video and debuted DirecTV in 2008. Frontier even had DirecTV. The Northwest seat were something in a class of their own in terms of their shabbiness

This was an A-319 pictured in 2006
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

In 2006-2008 when I was flying Northwest United had audio entertainment on their entire mainline fleet and video on everything but the 737s, American had audio and video on everything but their MD-80s, Continental had audio and video and debuted DirecTV in 2008. Frontier even had DirecTV. The Northwest seat were something in a class of their own in terms of their shabbiness

This was an A-319 pictured in 2006
Great pic!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.